RD Le Mans Series Season 2 (rFactor)

Status
Not open for further replies.
As Johan said, drove the last two tanks of fuel in the Corvette, making sure not to make any mistakes. Thanks everybody for a nice season, hope to see you all for the next one. On to rFactor 2! :)

Knackered.

But we made it to the finish! The last stint I drove was madness. Without a way to change brightness on my monitor, driving with in-car view, with people in the room who need the light on, I was practically blind on track. Especially the braking point for the second chicane, but even more so the brake and turn-in point for Indianapolis was really just guessing. I still can't believe I haven't planted it somewhere on top of a guardrail. Mad stuff.

Q
Three laps within 1 tenth of my personal track record: 4:00.7. Still nervous because Martijn Bont in the ID3 Ferrari had shown a faster lap in the practice sessions, but didn't manage to get one on track in the qualifying session: pole!

R
Boost 3 from the start to get away from the pack. Martijn follows, but within two laps we're 5 seconds clear. Back to boost 1. The main Porsche advantage is straight line speed. It's no match for the Ferrari in both sector 1 and 3. With Martijn in my slipstream on the straights, but unable to pass in sector 1 and 3 an intricate race developed. ID3 passes once, but I can regain P1, and after that it seems that Martijn grows more and more impatient, startint to attack in atypical spots on track. Tense moments.

It turns out that our Porsche is a lap short on the Ferrari range and the pitstops start to run out of sequence. Being further away from eachother on track it turns out that the straight line speed is almost enough to level the laptimes. I'm not very lucky with being lapped and lose lots of time, Martijn has a spin and some other little problems, now losing so much time on the straights that I suspect they must have damaged their car. After three stints ID3 and Simracing.NL are still very much in touch, but way ahead of the rest of the GT2 class. We're actually ahead of most of the GT1 class as well, with only Simracing Spain and SFH in front.

Wilfred takes over and increases our lead. After another 3 long hours it's my turn again and in pitch black darkness I lose a lot of time. Ben Crooks drives away half a minute of our lead. But I'm running steady laptimes, make no mistakes, and we're still two minutes ahead when Wilfred takes over for the last part of the race.

We're very happy to win this race and the GT2 championship. Thanks a lot to everybody at RaceDepartment for making this happen. See you on track, next time we'll be driving a chequered car again. And on to rFactor2!

Had a blast guys, overall overtaking was clean with one or two exceptions due to it being a twelve hour race. ;)

Q
Richard had the honors of doing the Rare Endurance Team 2 qualification and landed it nicely in third place about 2 seconds behind the lead GT2.

R
The first two stints by Richard went great, the third by me was oke too... not driving the times I would have liked but maintaining third place was good enough. Unfortunately in the fourth stint I had a moment of overconfidence and drove too fast in the Porsche curves resulting in major contact with the wall, so had to go to the pits with a missing left front wheel. Repairs took about 145 seconds so we lost third place in the GT2 class and 2 seconds of pace each round so we decided to do a driver swap early. Fred took the wheel gained a fresh Porsche and was able to maintain fourth place. A minor bump in the rear by one of the LMP cars that was going for a gap that wasn't there caused all the previous damage to return resulting in a 5kmph speed drop on the straights. Richard took the wheel again for another faultless 2 stints during which the third place GT2 car of Downforce Racing dropped out of the race due to a faulty internet connection. The last 4 hours of the race we only needed to maintain the 3 lap gap to the rear, in the dark a mighty challenge when driving with a projector that isn't really suited for nighttime pitch-dark tracks. Luckily myself and Fred where under no pressure to hotlap so we could sustain our third place in GT2 until the very end with lap times being at least 5 seconds off pace.

It was nice to see that from all the finishing teams (8 if I'm correct) the GT2's still had a competition going-on on track.
P1, one finishing team.
P2, no finishes.
GT1, one finishing team.
GT2, five finishing teams. :D

Congratulations to all finishing teams, hope to see you all soon on-track again.

So, RARE GT2 has taken over the second place in the GT2 championship! Nice work guy's

Thnx for this season, and we will back next year with a bigger team then now! :)

@ Robin, Nice statistics! The GT2's (Most difficult to drive) has the most steady teams! Wow :)

That may have been me Robin in the LMP who went for the gap that wasn't there, sorry, I had a real brain fade at that moment, if it wasn't you then I apologise to whoever the GT2 car was I made contact with.

Awesome race for us was running at our own pace for the race letting it come to us then I took the car over from Nigel to do my last 2 hour stint it wa getting darker I come out the pits and was pushing to hard on a cold track on cold tyres and lost it going into Village and lost one wheel then the turn right after that I hit the wall and lost the other front wheel. That was it race over. But the funny thing is me and Nigel did not feel bad in any way. We loved the race it was awesome.

People I would like to thank for our best season yet
Nigel middleton (Thanks for all your work this season you have been my best team mate and you have become a really good friend :) )
Carl middleton ( Awesome drive at Monza after being put into the wall :) )

Neil Tasker (For getting the car home in Sebring It some how had gone back to default setting so a good drive there :) )

Ryan Walker (For being a good reserve driver thanks bud :) )

I would like to thank Yoeri for making an awesome league and putting up with us all for the season you and the behind the scene guys have done a great job :)

And thanks to RD for hosting the it all.

Thanks to all the teams and drivers that we have raced with this season it has been a real joy to drive with you all.

Thanks to the come and tv guys super work I know it has been hard at times.

Pitstop Modding Racing will see you all in season 3 :)

Some thoughts/experience from my side:

Our team needed an extra driver for the GT2 class. After looking at the mod/track I thought this would be quite fun to do, so I decided to join in. It was my first experience with rFactor, so everything was quite new for me.

We worked some on the setup last week (Ferrari F430) and noticed that we were way behind in pace compared to the Porsche. Quite late we found out that 1/1wings was probably the way to go, to keep the speed gap with the Porsche to a minimum. The setup was sometimes a bit hard to drive, but there wasn't really any time to put some more work into it.

In qualifying I could only complete 1 lap with our race setup. (except different tires/fuel) Unfortunately it wasn't a great lap, so we had 2nd. Not a big problem though with 12hours to go.

I decided to start the race easily and not take any big risks. In the first half an hour of the race I was right on the back of SimracingNL (Robin Verdegaal), but it was hard to pass with our slower top speed. (and we didn't want to use any higher boost than 1 to prevent any damage) After some time I managed to make a pass though, and I could build a little gap. Then a few laps later I drove over a curb which made the car fly into the air, making some damage. This gave the chance to SimracingNL to retake the lead.

With the damaged car and some not very brilliant overtakes from the other car classes we lost quite some time, and were unable to fight for the lead again. A few hours later when I took-over the car from Ben my rFactor just minimized out of nothing which made the car crash into the wall, making us lose 10km/h topspeed on the straight.. (quite weird, since I haven't experience any crashing/minimizing during practice. I read that some other people had this problem aswell, so I don't know if it's a common problem that can be fixed somehow?)

Anyway, after the stint I tried to repair the damage, but it just didn't fix it. From that moment I realized we could do 2nd as best, since we were losing about 4/5 seconds per lap with this damage. I was driving good laps, but the times weren't there anymore. SimracingNL did a great job in the end, with a consistent pace and a fast car/setup. Grats to them.

I might do some more rFactor events in the feature, since I really enjoyed it.

Where can I find the section in the rules that in case of a championship tie, the Le Mans result will be decisive?

Question based on this sentence:
"The tie for the championship title in the P1 class has been decided by the 12 Hours of Le Mans result."

yes, one would expect something like first compare race results, team with most first places wins, if tie than second ect.
When this is still a tie, qualification results could decide.

Note that such a tie is not a crazy thing when there are only six races in a season.

In the norwegian rally championship we have this rule, than when in a situation like in the P1 category - then the best result of the last rally is the one counting towards the championship. So for me this sounds like normal.

That may have been me Robin in the LMP who went for the gap that wasn't there, sorry, I had a real brain fade at that moment, if it wasn't you then I apologise to whoever the GT2 car was I made contact with.

Martin, I'm not sure either if it was you Fred was driving at the time.. but even if it was you there is no real reason to apologize, this can happen on any track, it is just a racing incident. Trust me no real harm was done.. we could still continue our race and finish the entire 12 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

What does easier access mean to you?

• Free access

Votes: 121 69.9%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 42 24.3%
  • Better structured forum

Votes: 34 19.7%
  • Standard game content

Votes: 35 20.2%