RD iRacing Oval Series

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoeri Gijsen

Premium
RaceDepartment Indy 500 2012 (RDINDY'12) | Intro & Info
iroadkopie.jpg

Introduction

Welcome to the the second running of the RaceDepartment Indy 500 in iRacing. Last season saw a huge turn-out of drivers that gathered to pick up the virtual bottle of milk. Lots of crashes painted the picture of the first half of the race; close fighting dominated the second half. This year we're looking to go bigger and better than last year, so go get that FREE RaceDepartment Licensed Membership and sign-up for this annual high-speed thrill!

2m608bm.png

OFFICIAL RESULTS
REPLAY - Complete
REPLAY - Part 1
REPLAY - Part 2
Event schedule
  • Date: Sunday 20 May 2012
  • Open practice: 15:00 GMT (80 minutes)
  • Qualification: 16:20 GMT, 1 lap, lone qualifyer (10 minutes)
  • Race: 16:30 GMT, 200 laps, 500 miles (270 minutes)
  • Car: Dallara IndyCar
  • Track: Indianapolis Motor Speedway - Indy Oval
  • Server farm: NL-Ams
  • Starting type: standing
  • Fast tows: Unlimited
  • Cautions: full course cautions on
  • Restarts: single file
  • Racers/server: 33 (possibly extended to 55)
  • Hardcore level: Disable all driving aids (but clutch assist ok)
How to join?
  1. Apply for a free RaceDepartment Licensed Membership here
  2. Sign up for the RaceDepartment Indy 500 2012 here
Important links

from the release notes: "Fixed a bug in the detroit locker differential that wasn't unlocking the correct wheel when it should have when unloaded. Makes a noticeable change to turn-in characteristics of all the NASCAR cars."
that should explain the new behaviour turning in. Still time to adapt driving style I'd say.

did 10 laps and the change is indeed quite noticeable. Especially coming, out of banked turns and going out on the flat straight, the truck either understeers like mad or you lose the rear. There is now only one stable exit point (at least for me) which is much more towards the lower line than before. Taking this lower line, though, you are liable to have collosal understeer in the middle of the turn quite quickly. All in all I will have to put in some more laps to get this under control. Running the baseline set btw.

p.s.: one thing I noticed: I never got beyond lap3, might be a tire-warmth issue as well ???, i.e. once tires are warmer, the problems start ???

another 10 laps and down to 30.4 but I'm still unable to control this for more than 5 laps, the thin line between going fast and losing it has become thinner still. The very first timed lap is great and from there on it gets more and more difficult each lap to stay close to your best time. For race I'll probably go for slower laptimes and longer survival :)

Actually I want to kind of change my last post with my opinions... I found out the problem is with the tape. They must have changed something with it because it's so loose it's unbelievable, I've only noticed this on the trucks though because they only have the two options with tape. When I have it on completing a fast lap seems impossible, but take the tape off and it's just like it was before with a bit more oversteer at the exit of the turn. Did a few laps without tape on and was at a 30.05 which is just a hundredth slower than my average before.

Eckhart I'll run some laps tonight and check my temps, the one thing I know for sure is tyre wear will be an issue because I'm running -2.1 camber on my front right which makes the inside of my tyre run a lot hotter than the outside, but it needs to be there because of the track. Every update they claim that the tyres are better when at hotter temps and they're a lot better than they used to be. After the first lap on any stock car your times will fall off a cliff because the cars weigh so much the wear is out of this world compared to an open wheel car, the first lap is the only chance you'll get at a hot lap.

I'm going to try a couple of setups here to see what runs better:

Times for the first setup: First lap - 30.011
10th lap - 30.627

Temps for the first setup:
temps1.png

As you can see the temp difference on the RF tyre is ridiculous, but there's no understeer if you hit your marks. After checking this I see I should adjust my camber and my LF and LR.

Times for the second setup: First lap - 29.903 (say whaaaat)
10th lap - around 30.7 I'll try that again since it seemed slow, but I'm understeering more due to the changed RF camber to -1.5 :\

Temps for the second setup:
temps2.png

Don't really get the wear on the RF being increased, maybe you guys will know the answer to this: will decreasing the pressure increase tyre wear? I'm presuming it does, but half a psi for that change in temp/wear seems a little too much.

realy great race, had a blast. My car was perfect from about lap 5 to lap 30 of every run we had. Eventually finished 2nd behind the dominator of the race, @Chris Preston. well done dude!

abit sad though to see only 10 of the 22 drivers... but i guess real life comes first. Hope for an even better race in 2 week! Thanks @Yoeri Gijsen, RaceDepartment and all the drivers :) see you all at Michigan!

Sorry Guys, i don´t think the Series has a good Future at the Moment. On Page 1 are 24 Drivers listed in the Series, and only 10 Drivers (in words: TEN), attend to Series-Race No. 3. So why I´m signing in a Series, when I´m not able to Participate?! I don´t understand that.... I hold off my Saturday Evening to be Part of this League, but not for a Race with 10 Guys. Sorry, but then I can drive at the normal iRacing-Service better.... I´m a little bit dissappointed at the Moment. Sorry for saying that. :/

Very sad for the good Organisation here. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play