RD iRacing Oval Series

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoeri Gijsen

Premium
RaceDepartment Indy 500 2012 (RDINDY'12) | Intro & Info
iroadkopie.jpg

Introduction

Welcome to the the second running of the RaceDepartment Indy 500 in iRacing. Last season saw a huge turn-out of drivers that gathered to pick up the virtual bottle of milk. Lots of crashes painted the picture of the first half of the race; close fighting dominated the second half. This year we're looking to go bigger and better than last year, so go get that FREE RaceDepartment Licensed Membership and sign-up for this annual high-speed thrill!

2m608bm.png

OFFICIAL RESULTS
REPLAY - Complete
REPLAY - Part 1
REPLAY - Part 2
Event schedule
  • Date: Sunday 20 May 2012
  • Open practice: 15:00 GMT (80 minutes)
  • Qualification: 16:20 GMT, 1 lap, lone qualifyer (10 minutes)
  • Race: 16:30 GMT, 200 laps, 500 miles (270 minutes)
  • Car: Dallara IndyCar
  • Track: Indianapolis Motor Speedway - Indy Oval
  • Server farm: NL-Ams
  • Starting type: standing
  • Fast tows: Unlimited
  • Cautions: full course cautions on
  • Restarts: single file
  • Racers/server: 33 (possibly extended to 55)
  • Hardcore level: Disable all driving aids (but clutch assist ok)
How to join?
  1. Apply for a free RaceDepartment Licensed Membership here
  2. Sign up for the RaceDepartment Indy 500 2012 here
Important links

Quick report:)
Just made it hom from Swedish Touringcar Championship to join the grid:)
No idea what setup i had but it was real good:)
Hasn´t made 3 laps in practise without spinning so i was a bit nervous.
Started in the faar back due to no qualitime, but worked my way up to 2:nd for a while but my restarts sucks so i dropped down to 4:th.
With a few laps left i started to smell a podium when i was gaining rather fast on 3:rd place Gerald but there was about 1 lap to short so i finished with a mighty good 4:th place:) Happy?? YES!

Thanks for the Massive Amount of Fun i had tonight. :) Ok, there where way to much Yellows at the Beginning, but the second Half of the Race was great.

1) 2nd-Place finish for me is absolutly great, I am not really fast at all, although I am 4 Years at iRacing and have 430 Official and many many Hosted Events. But only 1 Win in the whole Time, this 2nd Place feels like a Win for me!

2) Just a little Tip for Joel #19 - If you see that you are one of the slowest Cars (or maybe the slowest Car), it would be great if you don´t go into the Restart as Polesitter. The next 2 Laps where very very Dangerous for all Drivers, because they had to overtake you in the Dense Field of many Cars. Me in that Position would just go to the End of the Field via a Pitstop, so no Problems for anyone. ;)

3) So thanks to everyone for the Close and everytime Fair Racing around me, had a lot of Fun!

4) Thanks to Yoeri for Organising and Hosting! :)

Thanks to all for a very nice race. My first RD event. I think the number of drivers was just right for Charlotte.
I didn't witness even one mean-spirited move, so it really bodes well for the rest of the races.
See you next time!

THX all for making Iracing quiet a pleasure to do 130 odd laps.As said in one of the posts nobody ran off into the distance ....although i got lapped because of a bad setup choice for long runs.I like the idea of the guys posting setups in the forum so we all have a great chance of enjoying a race. After all its boring not have a hope in hell to keep up. A nice bunch of guys and i am sure as time goes on we will get to know each other a lot better.LOL i almost asked you guys if it was possible to change setups during the race but knew obviously it was not possible so i just nuckled down and made the best of a bad situation.I am definately gonna give a the next race a better effort and look forward to joining all the guys in 2 weeks THX to the organisors and all involved. Funny no IRATING to worry about so at we can concetrate on racing and not need eyes in the back of our heads.

CYA next time

Morgan

Had a good time with a decent setup. Was slower out of the gate but the tires held on very well - never really got a long run during the race :(. Got a black flag and went a lap down, but made it back on the wave by next caution. Got caught in one wreck with nowhere to go, but maintained the lead lap, but used up my fast tow. A couple of cautions later, got rear ended hard under yellow and decided to call it a day.
I did see a lot of good give and take, and everyone seemed to give each other plenty of room. Looking forward to the next one.

It was a pleasure to be in this race: friendly atmosphere and good competition. The racing got close at times, but never ugly. We needed quite a lot of time to settle. I felt people were a bit eager and tense at first, but about halfway through the race that loosened up and we got through in one big green flag run. That was great!

I got unlucky with a crash ahead of me early on, which cost me three laps of repairs. I managed to get two of those laps back by staying out under caution, but eventually dropped one again for having to make a pit stop under green. Throughout the race I worked my way up from 16th after the crash to 7th at the finish. I'm pleased with that.

I'm looking forward to Iowa and hope to see you all there, perhaps with some extra entries as well. ;)

At the start I was running top 3 / top 5. Then two cars touched each other on the front stretch. I wanted to go high but I got blocked big time and I couldn't brake anymore. I had to use my fast tow. But a couple of laps later my rear snapped on the front stretch and I was so pissed.
I had my Kurt/Kyle Busch moment and quit. I was really pissed towards myself and I was glad that I didn't collect anybody in the spin.

Sorry for the 1st wreck tried to give as much room as possanlie for pass and slow the car down but ended up making the back end loose and clip the wall sending me spinning .
Morgan if you find that set gets tight to early , in the pit stops raise you right spring 1 notch or more .
I would only go 1 notch at a time till you get a feel of what it does , but it can make a big difference .

First of all, im glad to be back here at RD. I remember the Race07 Mini League back in the day that I thougth was epic.

I had focused on a race setup in practice and was loose in qualifying-mode. 134 laps is alot so I didn't worry about my starting position (11th). My car felt really good in the race and passed alot of cars. I was passing mr Trevor Forshaw for 3rd, on lap 18, when he got loose in the tri-oval and hit my right rear sending me hard right into the wall. Race over!

See ya'll at Iowa...

Problem with the Fast Repair is just the Following:

You make a slight Wall-Contact at Lap 50 of 100 with 0x-Incs and just a little Scratch on the Door. The next Time you make your Pit-Stop, iRacing will recognise that your Car is damaged and you will loose your Fast-Repair because of this little Scratch. So when you get in to the "Big One" in Lap 60 you will not have a Fast-Repair left.

So in my Opinion the Fast-Repair is just a Help for Crashes in the first 20% of the Race (or until the first Pitstop). After that, you Fast-Repair will be away in most Cases just because of any light Damage on your Car.

In our German League we drive without any Fast-Repair, better in my Opinion. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 413 69.3%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 260 43.6%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 281 47.1%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 124 20.8%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 164 27.5%
Back