RD iRacing Oval Series

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoeri Gijsen

Premium
RaceDepartment Indy 500 2012 (RDINDY'12) | Intro & Info
iroadkopie.jpg

Introduction

Welcome to the the second running of the RaceDepartment Indy 500 in iRacing. Last season saw a huge turn-out of drivers that gathered to pick up the virtual bottle of milk. Lots of crashes painted the picture of the first half of the race; close fighting dominated the second half. This year we're looking to go bigger and better than last year, so go get that FREE RaceDepartment Licensed Membership and sign-up for this annual high-speed thrill!

2m608bm.png

OFFICIAL RESULTS
REPLAY - Complete
REPLAY - Part 1
REPLAY - Part 2
Event schedule
  • Date: Sunday 20 May 2012
  • Open practice: 15:00 GMT (80 minutes)
  • Qualification: 16:20 GMT, 1 lap, lone qualifyer (10 minutes)
  • Race: 16:30 GMT, 200 laps, 500 miles (270 minutes)
  • Car: Dallara IndyCar
  • Track: Indianapolis Motor Speedway - Indy Oval
  • Server farm: NL-Ams
  • Starting type: standing
  • Fast tows: Unlimited
  • Cautions: full course cautions on
  • Restarts: single file
  • Racers/server: 33 (possibly extended to 55)
  • Hardcore level: Disable all driving aids (but clutch assist ok)
How to join?
  1. Apply for a free RaceDepartment Licensed Membership here
  2. Sign up for the RaceDepartment Indy 500 2012 here
Important links

agree with Chris, with 16 on the grid about two-third of all cautions won't happen. Which is a pity for a slow guy like me, cautions are the backmarkers very best friend in oval racing. I once moved from 19 to 4 in a Silverado fixed event just by taking it easy and collecting positions, only ever did one overtake and that was a guy racing with a seriously damaged car ...

so, tested the sets another 20-40 laps or so each and saw the light with regards to Yoeri's and Philip's set shared a few days ago, especially philip's is great, easier to handle coming out of the final banked turn, but it blows up after 8-10 laps? Did a low 30.3 before the blowup. Yoeri's is awesome, too, I just needed to take a different approach to every turn compared to the fixed set iRacing provides. I still tend to lose the car with this set every 15 laps or so, so might not be a good choice for the 100plus lap event. Mmmmh what to do? gonna mull this over till tomorrow. Do I overlook where to actually set fuel intake before race or can you only start with full tank?

I just ran a 45 lap stint so I'll fill in some people on stats:

Fuel: About 55-60 laps depending on how long you coast in corners/brake.
Times: 30.15 was my first lap and lap 44 was 31.25 and maybe could improve that a little
I was also getting roughly 31.00 from lap 5-15 until the tyres went off a little there.
Tyres: Felt good the whole time, didn't feel like they were getting wore, just some understeer close to the end of the run which is to be expected, however if you know how to adjust your marks they're very driveable.
Temperature: iRacing claimed all my tyres were 105F (roughly 37C) after 45 laps and had no wear on them, so I'm calling B.S. on that lol.

To be honest I don't know that pitting for tyres only on a green flag is necessary, I was able to keep my times at 31.2-31.5 from lap 20-45 so if there's a long green flag run don't be quick to jump into the pits. They also don't become "greasy" to quote iRacing after longer stints anymore since they don't overheat as much. I also scraped (0x barely touched) the wall twice around lap 20-30 so times near the end might be able to improve by half a tenth or so.

Qualifying I haven't spent too much time on, but from they 5 clean laps or so I hit in the practice sessions 29.8 will be decent maybe very low 30s to be mid pack, and I expect pole to be 29.6-29.7. Qualifying won't play a major role in this race though, overtaking isn't too difficult because the higher line is easy to run. Since there's 4 laps to run if you hit the first lap the way you want I almost recommend pitting for new tyres because the drop off after one lap is a tenth or two, so getting rid of one lap to try to hit a faster time is worth it.

Really looking forward to the race tomorrow, hopefully I don't mess up my quali run ;)

but then again, as you say a couple lines before, it's a long race and it is quite easy to go two wide, cu tnight
I know, but with tape on my setup is surprisingly mid turn so I don't want to crash twice and end up starting last lol.

Besides it's always a good feeling right before a race to know you hit a good fast lap.

And yeah Morgan I know Yoeri's setup is on the forums in the "Setups" thread, I think the one I use is up there I can't remember.

It was a good race all things considered, my setup was a little wonkier than I expected it to be... Started off 2 tenths faster than anyone, 5 laps later I was 5 tenths slower, after about 20 laps I was faster than the pace, after 25 laps I was a tenth slower. If there would have been a yellow with 5 laps left (like I told you to cause Yoeri :cry:) than I would have had half a chance to at least make top 3, but I'm not too upset with 6th.

My set was pretty fast for practice and quali though ending fastest in both so I expected more in the race, but it just wasn't there. May or may not be due to the fact I kissed a wall around lap 2, and lap 10, and about 3 times near the end of the race. :rolleyes:

Anyways the race was good fun, even though there isn't 43 drivers like some of you may have liked I think having 23 good guys to drive with is a lot better and the fact that there isn't one guy that was miles ahead of anyone is even better. I also don't have Iowa nor care much for the track so I'm going to get an early start on practicing for Texas and hopefully can get you guys some long-term stats for fuel, tyres, temps etc. Also I told Joel I'd help him out by uploading my replays from my fastest race trim lap, and quali trim lap.

Qualifying - http://www.mediafire.com/?vgg2uw6060hvc88
Race - http://www.mediafire.com/?2zf3exp9xee33ma

Even though i finished well down and 32 laps behind i still enjoyed the race, it was my first long race and my first proper race in the trucks, which i must admit are fun to drive but i definitely need more practice :rolleyes:

Sorry about causing one of the wrecks :redface:

thanks to Yoeri for organising and hosting the race.

quick report.
arrived just in time for quali and surprised myself with a 30.114, 8th. Don't think I ever qualified so well in 5 years at RD :)

race: decided to quickly drop to last and see how things developped. This was ok until we first had a slightly longer stretch of green and I noticed I should probably pass the guys in front if I wanted to stay in lead lap as long as possible, so I edged closer and was then caught up in a big one in the last turn, no place to go. pitted without fast tow and did the needed repairs which left me with 8mins of more repairs and a pretty slow car. Used every new yellow to get those eight minutes down to 5 min of extra repair needed and a car only 1 sec or so slower than before.
I was then caught up in an incident when I was lapped by philip and mark coming out of the last banked turn. I just watched the replay: philip tried to pass me on the inside and must have hit a bump there because I stay on the outside and without touching me, he loses it slightly, corrects and then loses it big time, going on the grass and spinning out. It seems I may have unfortunately helped decide the race through no fault I am aware of.
Finished 10th, 8 laps down to lead and 2 laps to 9th, Linus.

Once we had settled down a bit it was fun, the first thirty laps or so should better be forgotten quickly.

Big thx to all who were there and of course Yoeri and Niel (?) his co- admin (or did I get this wrong?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 413 69.2%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 261 43.7%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 282 47.2%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 124 20.8%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 165 27.6%
Back