Status
Not open for further replies.
Think of it as a race series where all the car keys are thrown into a hat and you get what you get.
the "keys in the hat" race could be an idea for a fun race but not for a league imo.
A better way to describe the format (as has already been done) is being offered a job by a racing team. That team will have specific cars, you don't get to choose. You also generally don't get to pick and choose which team you race for. If you get an offer, you take it because you're a racing driver, because you love to compete, and because you can adapt to whatever tools you're given. So this format is, in fact, a more realistic depiction of a real championship than allowing people to choose whatever car they want.

It's also worth remembering that this isn't F1. The cars have performance parity, so the only thing determining their pace is the guy behind the wheel.

I know that no matter what we say there will be people that will be unhappy, and it's understandable. However, it is what it is. Just like any of RD's other leagues, if you like the rules and conditions you sign up, and you don't like them then you don't sign up. I'm genuinely sorry that we can't please absolutely everybody 100% of the time, but unfortunately that's life. There will always be other opportunities in the future.

I do understand that people can disagree with the proposed format but I personally don't understand the anger.

Personally, I wouldn't call it anger but rather disappointment. So many of us had been so excited for this league all summer but then suddenly there's a lot of restrictions that, in RD management's heads, will make this more enjoyable to watch, but for some of us, won't make it as enjoyable to participate in as it could.

I understand the principle, don't get me wrong, I just don't think it's the best choice.

Edit: how about making RDGTC Season 8 to let people choose their cars? :p

A better way to describe the format (as has already been done) is being offered a job by a racing team. That team will have specific cars, you don't get to choose. You also generally don't get to pick and choose which team you race for. If you get an offer, you take it because you're a racing driver, because you love to compete, and because you can adapt to whatever tools you're given.
Don't think that analogy works seeing as professional drivers get paid (very well i might add) to race while we aren't, we pay to race because we love racing. If i get offered to race for camero you're damn right i'd take it, but i'd also only race with that car for the duration of the contract so it will get my undivided attention so i can get out whatever i can from the car that's humanly possible. I won't be distracting myself with racing Formula 3s, FRX17s, Formula Juniors, GT2s, WTCCs, DTMs, GTOs, Group 5 etc, we already race different cars on a weekly basis and this is just in Raceroom not including all the other sims. Hamilton is not allowed to race in other classes when he wants, he's tied to Mercedes F1.

I've just signed up for 2 different GT3 leagues. In one out of 46 racers there were 11 different cars picked all with their own liveries, the most popular car having 8 picks. In the other out of 35 racers 8 different cars, with the most popular having 9 again all with different liveries. I understand your reasoning behind it but my real life experiences haven't been like that. The Nissan was picked 4 times in both leagues put together. I was just excited to actually compete in a league with the great guys here that i spend most of my racing time with. Its not anger its disappointment that you didn't have enough faith in us to make it a diverse grid but we do that every week in the club races. In the past couple months in both Assetto and RaceRoom club races the grid had at least 6-8 different cars out of 30 racers.

I'm genuinely sorry that we can't please absolutely everybody 100% of the time, but unfortunately that's life. There will always be other opportunities in the future.
Nobody expects everyone to be pleased 100%, thats unrealistic but it does seem that some of the racers who help make the live streams enjoyable to watch have been the ones hit hardest by the decisions made. You're right we're all grown ups and other opportunities will arise, I didn't take to the rules so i race in another league in the mean time, no biggie. RD ain't going anywhere :D:D

Don't think that analogy works seeing as professional drivers get paid (very well i might add) to race while we aren't...
I think it works fine because I don't think money should play a part in this discussion. Racers love to race, paid or not, which is why they do it. The real guys don't get a choice on car, and neither do the virtual guys in this league. Please don't think that I'm suggesting anyone is 'wrong' here, or that you should all abandon your opinions and sign up regardless. I know where you guys are coming from and understand entirely. It's just the way this league is going to be though, I'm afraid.

Its not anger its disappointment that you didn't have enough faith in us to make it a diverse grid but we do that every week in the club races.
I'm guessing you didn't mean me personally, since I was not solely responsible for making the decision. ;) But it's not about having faith, it's that the way R3E is means no custom liveries and so limited unique liveries for each car. With a potential for 60 drivers there would almost certainly have been a situation where liveries ran out and certain people would be forced to choose a different car than they wanted. There was also the nightmare of trying to co-ordinate 60 people to all choose a unique car and livery, and repeatedly contacting those that chose duplicates to choose again. In the end it was decided it would be easier and fairer to level the playing field and allocate cars.

Nobody expects everyone to be pleased 100%, thats unrealistic but it does seem that some of the racers who help make the live streams enjoyable to watch have been the ones hit hardest by the decisions made. You're right we're all grown ups and other opportunities will arise, I didn't take to the rules so i race in another league in the mean time, no biggie. RD ain't going anywhere
You're right about that, and I'm genuinely sorry. You guys know I try hard to make the club racing as much fun for everybody as I can because that's what it's all about. But leagues are a bit different, and unfortunately on this occasion we've had to disappoint some people. :(

With a potential for 60 drivers there would almost certainly have been a situation where liveries ran out and certain people would be forced to choose a different car than they wanted. There was also the nightmare of trying to co-ordinate 60 people to all choose a unique car and livery, and repeatedly contacting those that chose duplicates to choose again.

In fact, having 2 divisions, the livery problem is reduced in half. As @PresidentSmug mentioned, there are plenty of examples of other leagues handling these particular issue with no problems at all (even with bigger grids).

For me personally, the absence rule is a no go and I don't know how anyone here can ensure with 100% certainty that no unforeseen event will occur on those dates. :unsure:

How about assigning two cars per each driver and driver could choose which one he prefers to use in championship, but if he start with one in first round, he can't change it later. There is more than enough liveries for this.

For me much bigger problem is fact, that you have to participate in all rounds or you will lose premium membership. It seems too harsh of a penalty, when reason of absence can be completely random. That's why I'm also considering signing out.

How about assigning two cars per each driver and driver could choose which one he prefers to use in championship, but if he start with one in first round, he can't change it later. There is more than enough liveries for this.
For me much bigger problem is fact, that you have to participate in all rounds or you will lose premium membership. It seems too harsh of a penalty, when reason of absence can be completely random. That's why I'm also considering signing out.
I'm sorry but the arguments for a change to the rules have already been discussed on here and reasons given for rejecting them.

Ill be honest...theres a good possibility that ill have to pull the plug on this series as well. I currently have sat-mon off at work but being a shift worker we bid every 6 months and we will be switching over mid nov. At some point, so theres no guarantee ill have the same shift.
First race also falls on thanksgiving weekend here in Canada.
Regarding the whole livery thing and decision of cars selection being handled the way it is, I hope this continues in all RD leagues which have multiple cars available and not just Raceroom as the whole livery thing is really invalid for the decision.
In the GT3 class with the current car selection for this series theres 166 available liveries leaving 106 still available if we get the full 60 grid.
An additional 59 liveries could be added if you include the ADAC 13/14/15.
And if were running 2 divisions only 30 out 166 will be used.
Theres also the possibility that some of the new gt3 cars could be released before the series starts adding more cars and additional liveries....thats if they get released and RD decides to use them.

Last edited:
Seriously guys, can we please move on now? We know some of you are unhappy but you've all made your complaints known and they've been heard. This discussion has been done to death, and there really isn't anything more to add from either side. Repeating the same thing a hundred times isn't going to make any difference. The decision was made and it's being run with, so it is what it is.

If you don't want to sign up then that's fine, perhaps you'll be more interested in a future league instead. But in the meantime, let's please stop all this constant negativity because it's totally souring the whole thing for those who are not unhappy and do want to take part.

Thank you.

Sorry if this has already been addressed, but will there be a date cutoff for sign up? Or will registrations be taken right up until the Sep 24 pre-qual race (assuming there are open spots)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes