Rally - RDRC Rookie Demo - Mon 13th & Tues 14th June 2011

Now that's a shock! I guess reasonable consistency paid off.
No DNF's tonight and no CFH's either. SS2 had an enormous off and found the only tree for miles, luckily the car held out to the end of the stage even with no water left in it all be it 30 odd seconds off the pace. Apart from that no real issues, a half spin or 2 on a couple of the stages and a moment through the fords on the last stage was all the drama i created.
Not entirely sure about these cars, the Ford felt the best on the snow straight out of the box but I had to completely change the setup to make is drivable on tarmac and the handbrake doesn't seem to work :S
Sometimes it was pure bliss left foot braking and sliding it gracefully around the long fast sweeping snowy corners other times it just felt like it wouldn't drive out of the corners without wanting to straighten up.
Probably won't be picking these for the league so i guess i learned something.
Thanks to Senad and RD for organising another great club event and grats to Roy on a pretty dominating performance!

A total norwegian lockout! :D *Be afraid of the norwegians!*

For information, I used dry tyres on the last stage, what is best in light fog? I was thinking inters, but I guess that is for more than just a light fog.

W00t another podium to add to the list :p
Congrads to roy for the win and ian for a close 3rd.
i also went dry tyres on the last stage Ole.
Was another fun event, probably not as fun as the other 2WD but that might have just been my car choice.

Aaargh that retirement really ruined my result :tongue:

Other than that I had a pretty good night, trading times with a couple of the other OC guys. I found the little Clio to be great to drive; really predictable and nicely balanced. Yes it's lacking in the power department but that just adds an extra challenge as you try desperately to maintain momentum through the corners.
Congrats to the podium winners and thanks to the Event organisers.

Senad, sorry if I caused some headaches over this. I really enjoyed this rally, times are improving and if it hadn't been for demolishing the artificial chicane on Cote d'Arbroz then I might have been a little further up the rankings. Thanks to Senad for staging the event and congrats to the podium placings and all the other competitors.

Pete

You aren't listed in it.

That points to a file on your computer, I can't see that. Upload it somewhere (speedyshare, dropbox, ...)

ah sorry about that, noob error :redface:

thanks for sorting the times out :D

realy pleased to finish 4th, must say i did enjoy the JWRC cars more but these are a great bunch of cars for new commers.

i almost went with the Williams Clio (my favorite car in the list) but changed to the 306 as i preffer 6 speed to 5 lol

SS1. was hopeing for a steady start, but ran a little wide taking out a camerman so got car reset.
SS2. great run through here and less than 1 sec behind Roy :cool:
SS3. love this stage and was going great till i caught another dumb camerman with my rear end, so car reset and on one of the fast sections :frown:
SS4. tried to push hard but also weary of running wide, but still a good run and a nice time.
SS5. for some reason my brakes seemed to loose function and i went off big style into the 1st braking point, luckly i bounced of a tree with no damadge and pointing in the right direction, after the stage i checked my brakes and the adjuster had moved a little so gunna stick some blue tack on that later :)
SS6. probebly my least favorite of the snow stages, maninly due to the pace notes which is on my to do list to change. so no great times here.
SS7. still learning hand brake turns and glad not to see to many here, had a nice run and got most the hairpins right.
SS8. went with dry tyres and grip felt ok and my time felt good but almost 3 secs slower than Ole, he must have nailed that one grats m8 :D

grats to Roy, Jeremy and ian and huge thanks to Senad for all his work :D:D:D

Can anyone guess my favorite surface? :D I hoped for this to be a good rally, and sure it was :) Sorry for SS3, Senad, I had to continue my good streak :tongue: One 3rd, two 2nd and five wins out of eight stages can't be anything but ther than perfect :)

Next week is the championship final, I hope for a similar run there :D

Sorry I missed this one, looks like plenty of fun.

Congratulations Roy, chalking up another victory (number 3 now :thumb: ), and well done to Jeremy (the new Mr Consistency :wink: ) and Ian (first podium :good: ).

Nice result for Senad too, showing his love for Snow :cool: .

Big welcome to our new members, Hugo and Daniel, good debuts from both drivers. :)

As expected, some very close results throughout the field, and little red ink.

Huge thanks to Senad for running everything this time, :thanks:

We have a break next week for the RDRC final round for Season 2, good luck all.

I would prefer that realistic damage be on 24/7+forced cockpit view....

We can't use forced cockpit view in RBR, it's not available on the Server.

Really hope we ain't going to use FWD for the next club rally, 2 events on the trot is quite enough for me. Had fun nevertheless :)

How about something juicy from the Group B Pack ?? :bomb: :ups:

I was just wondering why we put such tight restrictions wrt car use when a typical Club Rally is virtually unrestricted.&nbsp; Would we not be better allowing drivers a broader choice for the club rallies.&nbsp; I've attached a link to last years Mull Rally which I would say, is typical of most club rallies these days.&nbsp; Yes, perhaps you might want to exclude the use of WRC's to give a more even balance.<BR><BR>Mull Rally Entry list 2010<BR><BR>Pete

I was just wondering why we put such tight restrictions wrt car use when a typical Club Rally is virtually unrestricted.&amp;nbsp; Would we not be better allowing drivers a broader choice for the club rallies. I've attached a link to last years Mull Rally which I would say, is typical of most club rallies these days. Yes, perhaps you might want to exclude the use of WRC's to give a more even balance - just some thoughts.

Tunnock's Mull Rally 2010

Pete

I was just wondering why we put such tight restrictions wrt car use when a typical Club Rally is virtually unrestricted.&nbsp; Would we not be better allowing drivers a broader choice for the club rallies.

Hi Pete,
I guess I have to explain the rationale behind our Rally Club Events.
The various car restrictions is due to a number of reasons, mainly to meet the style of Rally Club we (I) have strived for.

This is meant to be an on-line / virtual Rally Club rather than trying to match real life Rally Clubs. In our virtual world, we can choose lots of different cars since we are not on the restricted budgets that dictate car choices in real life.

I have tried hard to promote as much variety as possible within our events, since we don't have a huge variety of default stages to work with. But, using the big variety of available cars, we can run many different styles of events, often based around the car choices. I have deliberately forced car selections in a majority of events to encourage members to sample the many different types of cars available in RSRBR. I suspect that if all, or most, events allowed free choice of any car, we would end up with most people driving the same car every week, and simply fine tuning the setup for that car (I've seen this happen regularly in Race On Events). That outcome may get quite boring and also result in the emphasis being placed on more competitiveness among drivers, rather than a more friendly and casual style of Club where the emphasis is often on enjoying / learning new cars.

In addition, by keeping the cars restricted, we are able to keep the performances of the cars more equal. With free choice, we will end up with a majority of drivers selecting the fastest cars every week. I suspect we might end up with the same winners every week too, because the most experienced drivers will simply select the quickest cars, and newer or less experienced drivers will opt for slower but more stable cars. I know we currently have a few regular winners, but I'm fairly impressed with the variety of winners we usually have, and part of that may be due to some drivers being more competitive in specific cars.

I understand that there may be some members who might prefer to drive the same car regularly and get to know it very well, but I believe that the RDRC fills that role better, and the Rally Club is meant to be different.

However, having said all of the above, you must be reading my mind, because I have been thinking about planning a free choice Event, or maybe a free choice mini series. My thinking was to hold such an event or mini-series over an extended holiday period (such as Christmas) where we could hold more events in a week (or two) while people are on holidays.
Alternatively, if this type of event is popular, we could organise an occasional free choice event, but I am most reluctant to make it a routine format.

Warren, thanks very much for the explanation - no problem with that, but as you said, it would be great to use the same car over a slightly more extended period than just one event. I'm fully supportive of the "mini-series" approach and I suppose that the Championship more fills my aspirations for driving the same car over an extended series.

Pete

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back