Racing technique - Definition "on the throttle"?

Hello guys!

Very often you hear "a good driver is on the throttle even before he reaches the apex of the turn"!

So I always tried to be "on the throttle" meaning full throttle very early :alien:

but now i watched some youtube videos of fast guys in AC and i noticed that they are early on the throttle indeed but far away from full throttle, which they reach only at the very end of the turn (most of the time; depending on the turn oc)!

So I guess my definition was wrong thinking that I have to be on full throttle already before the apex!?!?

Well it's kind of a self explanatory question if you just try in the sim. In some cars you can apply more or even full throttle earlier, depending on the amount of downforce (for example in medium to high speed corners in an F1 car) or the amound of oversteer the car has on throttle. You should always apply the amount of throttle possible, not going off track on corner exit or losing much traction. The lines will then be of more importance if you go by that.

Depending on the turn Chris and the car (speaking mostly about GTs here), it's very rarely possible to be at full throttle before the apex. When we're talking about high speed corners like Pouhon at Spa, Parabolica at Monza then part throttle can be applied at or even before the apex to keep your average speed up. Average speed is more important imo in high speed corners.

A lot of the throttle application at whatever track you practice will come from experience with the certain combo you're running. As always all things come into play, but the major factors are the corner type, your car layout (MR, FR, RR etc) and grip level. The other small(er) stuff like fuel level, setup has a smaller role to play but it all adds up. The two corners I have given examples of have a similar layout but there's one key difference.

Pouhon is a double apex much like Parabolica (para not being a double apex), both unwinding however Parabolica leads to a long straight whereas Pouhon does not. In the case of Parabolica it's much more crucial to get proper grip once you're on throttle and maximize your exit speed to carry over to the long straight and as a result average speed doesn't play as big a role. The roles are reversed at Pouhon, where a good run through the corner requires a high average speed (ie. part-throttle early full as soon as possible) and as well maximizing your exit speed, both parts being equally important.

Through experience you'll get more comfortable and be able to extract more time out of tracks. I'd be interested to hear what others have to say on the topic as well, as it can only make us get better.

What I have learned from better drivers over time is that entering the corner at a lower speed allows you to leave faster. This is particularly important when it is followed by a long straight. Ideally, in such corners you should not hear your tires screeching. It feels slower, but actually it makes you faster. If you watch the replay of a flying lap by a good driver, the tires are mostly silent.

Some real-life drivers who started their careers in kart leagues - of which Schumacher is an example - also have the advantage of using their left foot to brake. This allows them to keep the RPM high while braking, which can be useful in tight corners.

Depending on the turn Chris and the car (speaking mostly about GTs here), it's very rarely possible to be at full throttle before the apex. When we're talking about high speed corners like Pouhon at Spa, Parabolica at Monza then part throttle can be applied at or even before the apex to keep your average speed up. Average speed is more important imo in high speed corners.

A lot of the throttle application at whatever track you practice will come from experience with the certain combo you're running. As always all things come into play, but the major factors are the corner type, your car layout (MR, FR, RR etc) and grip level. The other small(er) stuff like fuel level, setup has a smaller role to play but it all adds up. The two corners I have given examples of have a similar layout but there's one key difference.

Pouhon is a double apex much like Parabolica (para not being a double apex), both unwinding however Parabolica leads to a long straight whereas Pouhon does not. In the case of Parabolica it's much more crucial to get proper grip once you're on throttle and maximize your exit speed to carry over to the long straight and as a result average speed doesn't play as big a role. The roles are reversed at Pouhon, where a good run through the corner requires a high average speed (ie. part-throttle early full as soon as possible) and as well maximizing your exit speed, both parts being equally important.

Through experience you'll get more comfortable and be able to extract more time out of tracks. I'd be interested to hear what others have to say on the topic as well, as it can only make us get better.
Thank you very much for the elaborate advice!! :)
I will try to use it in the club races :thumbsup:
Also thanks to the others of course!

the best way to take a corner is to be on the brakes as hard as possible while aproaching the corner in a straight line. When ure on the brakes hard the weight of the car is transfered to the front. When you are nearing the turn in point u should gently lift of the brake allowing the weight of the car to be transfered back preventing understeer on turn in. When u reached the turn in point u should still be apllying just a little bit pressure on the brakes causing the weight of the car to be pushing slightly on the front allowing for more grip on the front wheels and a sharper turn in. Then turn in and release brakes, let the car roll trough the corner as u aproach the apex. On the apex start aplying throttle gently and build it up as you reach the exit of the corner. If ure on the throttle to soon or are apllying to much throttle mid corner u will encounter oversteer or go out wide at corner exit, meaning u have to lift on exit wich will cost u allot of speed. The point at wich u can aply throttle (before, on or after the apex) and how much depands on the car and corner and will become more clear with experience. Generally speaking, corners that lead up to long straights u want to go slow in and fast out. Meaning u have to turn in late going for a late apex wich allows u to be on the throttle before reaching the apex carrying maximal speed on to the straight.

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back