Racerooms cars..do they pivot on a centre axis ?

Msportdan

@Simberia
If you notice replays of Racerooms cars they seem to me like they turn/pivot on a centre axis, and turning it doesn’t look natural.

check here 23mins on at the BMW.

also when u see ai from behind the car just pivots very unnaturally! very like jolty.

Look closely from 24:07 to 24:12 and you have your answer. It’s a pretty clear example because the car makes a slight wobble braking into the corner. On less thight bends I agree with you because as you see in the video the pivoting point is unrecognizable and leaves indeed the impression on center pivoting. But I’m pretty sure it’s just an exterior cam thing and not a physics thing. I’ve never noticed any center pivoting in R3E like in the good old pre-Geoff Crammonds GP2 time :p.

I don't think they pivot either but I have noticed that they sometimes (fairly rare) "correct" - meaning an unnatural movement because they've got in an impossible position. Best example is with the FRJs which are forbidden to lock wheels (not lock brakes - I mean the wheels from two cars getting tangled is forbidden resulting in unnatural corrections).

I'm not sure if the 'correction' is purely graphical - like as sometimes happens in replays and server lags (again fairly rare) - or real.

I'm also not sure if the whole thing is my imagination or not. :)

just i cant help thinking that cos this sim doesnt seem to really simulate tyre temps, or pressures properly - how much more is simplified down.. My car pretty much feels the same from the start as it does in the end. No wear or tear at all. You see replays just seem odd in the way the car turn in so sharply.. Maybe its older cars with older physics.

Last edited by a moderator:
My car pretty much feels the same from the start as it does in the end. No wear or tear at all.
Then you must be playing a different game or something, because in our longer club races there is most definitely a very, very noticeable change in physics based on tyre wear, fuel (weight), whether your brakes/tyres are warm, aero damage, and more. It varies from car to car, but it's there.

And as already stated, you can't trust replays and online footage as a benchmark on whether a car is moving "properly".

If you notice replays of Racerooms cars they seem to me like they turn/pivot on a centre axis, and turning it doesn’t look natural.

Some of the older cars may feel a bit like that, but it's a byproduct of how the physics were put together and not down to anything fundamentally wrong in the physics engine.

Tyre temperatures and pressures are definitely simulated properly now. Drive around in a GT3 really abusing the tyres and you'll be overheating and wearing them out quickly. Now park it up and let the car sit for 10 minutes. The tyres will be pretty cold so you when you set off be careful because the grip you had when they were warm won't be there any more!

Tyre temperatures and pressures are definitely simulated properly now. Drive around in a GT3 really abusing the tyres and you'll be overheating and wearing them out quickly. Now park it up and let the car sit for 10 minutes. The tyres will be pretty cold so you when you set off be careful because the grip you had when they were warm won't be there any more!

This^^
Not only will the tyres not grip well after the cooling down period, they will also be ruined in all reality. Hence in the real world tyres are used and then put in tyre warmers. Each and every time you use a tyre and it gets hot and then allowed to cool down is called a "heat cycle". Tyre warmers are essential in motorsport so that each tyre unless worn too much has minimal heat cycles. I learnt this to my cost doing track days on my bikes. :thumbsup:

Some of the older cars may feel a bit like that, but it's a byproduct of how the physics were put together and not down to anything fundamentally wrong in the physics engine.

thanks for the visit and the post.. So your saying the new cars say the GT3 / porsches are definitely more simulated in the sense of what were talking about? What cars would you also consider using these much improved simulations?.. Maybe the KTM onwards or m2? or just your cars really hehe

Last edited by a moderator:
None of the cars pivot, he's just saying that the physics on the newer cars are generally better. The GT3's and Porsches will be on the very latest physics. Most of the other cars are on slightly older physics, a few (GT2s and others) are on older physics still, and a few are on ancient physics that haven't been updated for years.

just did 15mins at sepang in the p2 class (radical) my tyre temps didn't drop the whole race!! they stayed around 200 (whatever that means?!) i absolutely ragged the car. (100 Ai started last finished first!)

Personally i think and believe that Raceroom is still running race07 *similar simulation physics, only wear is simulated. and even though brake temps are shown i cant feel a hell lot difference with cold brakes and warm brakes. Sorry just cant feel the depth like i can in AC or rf2. Maybe the new gt3 cars and the porsches do have proper simulation but the older cars definitely do not.

just did 15mins at sepang in the p2 class (radical) my tyre temps didn't drop the whole race!! they stayed around 200 (whatever that means?!) i absolutely ragged the car. (100 Ai started last finished first!)

Personally i think and believe that Raceroom is still running race07 *similar simulation physics, only wear is simulated. and even though brake temps are shown i cant feel a hell lot difference with cold brakes and warm brakes. Sorry just cant feel the depth like i can in AC or rf2. Maybe the new gt3 cars and the porsches do have proper simulation but the older cars definitely do not.

Did you do a leaderboard challenge at all? There is a visual bug related to that where temps dont change in the data display.

Otherwise... stop with the nonsense. Temps are simulated, and as a result, varying levels of grip depending on how hot/cold they are.

brake temps changed, but didn't feel effect,
tyre temps don't change much. i think at race start they were 202 then race ended them on 200/. that makes no sense why would temps drop throughout a race?

Not familiar enough with raceroom to know facts but it seems for me like you ran on a difficulty level where it's actually not really simulated. Like no wear or something?
I know that the wear makes a huge difference! Ever tried to run 30 minutes around monza junior in an FWD? At the end of the race you're only hoping for the turn in to happen :roflmao:

get real?
Don't know, afaik you can select each of these settings for every race separately so get real or amateur doesn't really get the job done I think.
Just check the settings for your next race.
Also brake temps: do a club race and when you get a heart attack when your car isn't braking enough for T1: you'll know that they are simulated :p

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 169 66.5%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 112 44.1%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 117 46.1%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 44 17.3%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 70 27.6%
Back