RaceRoom | Porsche, BMW, Ningbo International & New Features!

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
A large new update for RaceRoom Racing Experience has been deployed - and it contains plenty of new content and feature improvements - including amongst others a first iteration of daylight progression within the system.

Surprise! The new December build update of RaceRoom Racing Experience contains more than a few new feature enhancements for the title when it dropped earlier today - with new time of day effects, a fresh look for car setup screens, various physics and AI changes and plenty more besides!

Of course the new build release is exciting stuff in its own right, however today also marks the release of some interesting new pieces of content, namely the already previewed Porsche Pack DLC #3, a nice new GT4 car from BMW, the BMW M1 Group 4 machine, the WTCR hosting Ningbo International Speedpark circuit and a free Nürburgring Grand Prix Fast Chicane layout update for owners of the circuit!

Update details:

Download size = 4.5 GB
Client version = 0.9.0.911
Client BuildID = 4480845
Dedicated server version = 56.0.1058
Dedicated server BuildID = 4480917

New content:
  • GTR4 car class - Added BMW M4 GT4
  • GTR4 car class - Added Porsche 718 Cayman GT4 Clubsport
  • GTR3 car class - Added Porsche 911 GT3 R (2019)
  • Group 4 car class - Added BMW M1 Group 4
  • Added a new car class - Porsche Motorsport GT2 Supersportscar, with the Porsche GT2 RS Clubsport
  • Tracks - Added Ningbo International Speedpark with 5 layouts
  • Tracks - Added new layout: Nürburgring Grand Prix Fast Chicane, free for all owners of the track.

Features:
  • Added a first iteration of daylight progression, from morning to evening. A multiplier is available to set progression from x0 (static sun), up to x25.
  • Sun position is now astronomically accurate for each of our tracks as per a typical summer solstice day.
  • Dedicated server - Added possibility to set a "Message of the Day" that all players will be presented with upon joining. The message can be dismissed by pressing the brake, or leaving the pitlane. The message can be formatted using very basic html tags.
  • Damage overhaul - The old settings separating Visual and Mechanical damage have been merged into just one Damage setting which can have the following values:
    - Off (cars will not take any damage)
    - Limited (this is equivalent to having both mechanical and visual damage enabled before today's update)
    - Full (Suspension can get damaged, and tyres can have flat spots after lock-ups)
  • Damage model - New deformations and systems for detachables parts, cracks in windshields, etc.
  • Damage model - Tyres can now get punctured from collisions or from driving off track, and the probabilities of getting a puncture increase with the wear.
  • Car Setup Menu - One of our goals is to modernize the user interface and the first menu that we decided to tackle is the car setup. It is reflecting the future look and feel of the RaceRoom interface as we head into 2020.
    It is divided in three areas, the left will display some telemetry data from your last laps, the center has all the possible changes sorted into tabs, and the right side is dedicated to display helper texts and the steering settings.
  • Force Feedback - Added Pneumatic Trail to the physics engine, which results in self-centering forces on corner exits.
  • Force Feedback - Added Stationary Friction effects
  • Global AI behavioral improvements, with car specific tweaks using a self-learning algorithm.
  • Sounds - Improvements to tyre sounds (skid and scrub).
  • Added an option to display opponents of other classes in the HUD position bar
  • Added an option to force the HUD track map to remain static and not rotate with the player's car orientation
  • Added an option to show or hide the chat messages in Multiplayer
  • Added extra bindigs for Shift Up and Shift Down, allowing to mix paddles and a sequential shifter

RaceRoom Car Setup Screen.jpg

Content updates:
  • DTM 1992 - Updated physics ( Details @ Sector3 forums )
  • Touring Classics - Updated physics ( Details @ Sector3 forums )
  • GTR3 - Updated physics ( Details @ Sector3 forums )
  • GTR4 - Updated physics ( Details @ Sector3 forums )
  • Hillclimb Icons - Updated physics ( Details @ Sector3 forums )
  • BMW M1 Procar - Updated physics ( Details @ Sector3 forums )
  • Performance index values of all car classes have been readjusted (DTM 1992 and Touring Classics are no longer merged)
  • Brands Hatch - Updated curbs, advertisement, vegetation
  • Gelleråsen Arena - The last turn has been modified, but the starting grid is still located on the old stretch.
  • Knutstorp - Updated with 2019 modifications
  • Macau - Improved performance
  • Mantorp - Updated with 2019 modifications
Fixes:
  • Dedicated server no longer loses its settings when the IP address of the hosting machine changes.
  • Loads of bug fixes and improvements overall

RaceRoom Racing Experience is available now exclusively on PC.

Want to learn more about the tips and tricks of RaceRoom Racing Experience? Ask a question to our awesome sim racing community at the RaceRoom Racing Experience sub forum here at RaceDepartment.

RaceRoom Update 1.jpg

The new update does feel better in all areas except... brakes. I can't get it to slow down consistently anymore and braking distance even with 100% pressure, no lock ups and what i feel like on the limits of grip... no way near what they used to be with optimal tire temps. AI will for sure toast you by up to 30% shorter distance.. Medium corner and light braking feels better but the peak is about all gone. Something like Monza, 1st corner is almost impossible to use the common braking points for each vehicle class. I'm not the best of brakers anyway but i can do it. Also compared to rF2 and AC, there is definitely a lack of braking peak force.

The new update does feel better in all areas except... brakes. I can't get it to slow down consistently anymore and braking distance even with 100% pressure, no lock ups and what i feel like on the limits of grip... no way near what they used to be with optimal tire temps. AI will for sure toast you by up to 30% shorter distance.. Medium corner and light braking feels better but the peak is about all gone. Something like Monza, 1st corner is almost impossible to use the common braking points for each vehicle class. I'm not the best of brakers anyway but i can do it. Also compared to rF2 and AC, there is definitely a lack of braking peak force.
Fully agree and is the first thing that sticks out when I return to this title.
Even before the latest update I started a thread regarding this but no one responded to it, I am not sure if it's a ffb adjustment or it's just what it is?
Maybe play with the understeer setting, try 0 and 100 to feel the difference.
I am not particularly fond of having to setup the ffb for each car via adjusting the ffb multiplier in the garage menu. It would be nice if they could add a auto ffb on the fly setting like iracing rather than jumping in and out the pit menu.
I've found with the T300 base settings the majority of cars use less than 40% of the available ffb before clipping using the suggested settings from members here and posted on the Sector3 forms

Last edited:
Does anyone know of a way to roll this game back before the "Huge" update? This was my favorite title to just jump in and have quick race. I had everything setup to my liking and now it's all :poop: Stuttering graphics and sound, FFB is :poop: and from what I read you have to delete files, use default settings and re-tune. Basically start over. And why the f*** would I want to do that?

I've supported this title for years and have all the cars and tracks. Everything was fine the way it was. I honestly don't want to spends hours reading through posts and going back to default settings just to get everything working again. All I wanted to do today was sit down for a few quick races and now everything is knackered.

Sorry guys normally I only try to post positively in this forum but this :poop: has got me a little pissed. So if anyone knows how to roll this back I would appreciate any info...cheers.

Does anyone know of a way to roll this game back before the "Huge" update? This was my favorite title to just jump in and have quick race. I had everything setup to my liking and now it's all :poop: Stuttering graphics and sound, FFB is :poop: and from what I read you have to delete files, use default settings and re-tune. Basically start over. And why the f*** would I want to do that?

I've supported this title for years and have all the cars and tracks. Everything was fine the way it was. I honestly don't want to spends hours reading through posts and going back to default settings just to get everything working again. All I wanted to do today was sit down for a few quick races and now everything is knackered.

Sorry guys normally I only try to post positively in this forum but this :poop: has got me a little pissed. So if anyone knows how to roll this back I would appreciate any info...cheers.
u cant

Yeah thanks I knew that but was hoping for something different. I guess I'm the only one that's getting bent about it then. Seems like they should have done it like AMS used to and release it as a different download for testing before forcing users into such a big change.

Partly my fault I guess since I've always had the R3E auto-update active in Steam. I've never had issues with their updates before. Turning that off now. Needless to say this puts Sector3 at the top of my :poop: list. Congrats.

Honestly, it would probably just be easier to re install the game and tweak your ffb settings lol
Delete this file, delete that, stock tunes etc.
All the old tunes are obsolete now anyways and you need a new wheel profile anyways....in the end everything should be clean, fresh and up to date.

Sure but you're missing the point. I shouldn't have to reinstall or make changes just because they decided to update the game. It should have been a separate release as a beta test. After the bugs are sorted then do a full release. Users should've had a choice to try the update but still maintain their working software. It's been done before with other sims.

I've been with R3E for over 5 years and never had any issues. Purchased all the content and have always been happy with their product. The consumer should not have to spend hours in forums looking for fixes. Why was this released with out extensive testing? Did they hire new programmers and this is the result?

I really don't recall a huge outcry for everything being broken in the game to begin with. So why the need for an update? Ya know the old saying, if it ain't broke don't fix it. So for right now I have better sims to play. RaceRoom is probably going to sit for a long time because I don't have time to f*** with it. Something that I shouldn't have to do in the first place. :thumbsdown:

Sure but you're missing the point. I shouldn't have to reinstall or make changes just because they decided to update the game. It should have been a separate release as a beta test. After the bugs are sorted then do a full release. Users should've had a choice to try the update but still maintain their working software. It's been done before with other sims.

I've been with R3E for over 5 years and never had any issues. Purchased all the content and have always been happy with their product. The consumer should not have to spend hours in forums looking for fixes. Why was this released with out extensive testing? Did they hire new programmers and this is the result?

I really don't recall a huge outcry for everything being broken in the game to begin with. So why the need for an update? Ya know the old saying, if it ain't broke don't fix it. So for right now I have better sims to play. RaceRoom is probably going to sit for a long time because I don't have time to f*** with it. Something that I shouldn't have to do in the first place. :thumbsdown:
I might be wrong but I see it has beeing the lil price we have to pay now due to old design choices, and now that Alex is the guy in charge for the car handling for over a couple of years, the title is going in more realistic direction, physics and ffb wise. Looks like last update or upgrade had some major change that made the use of new ffb default and fresh setup file necessary. So even if it is not fun for us it was a necessary step to move forward.
Only time will tell if s3 did made good choice here, but my conviction is that they did, and that more n more people will be convinced and seduced by this sim and its handling of cars.

.. brakes. I can't get it to slow down consistently anymore and braking distance even with 100% pressure, no lock ups and what i feel like on the limits of grip... no way near what they used to be with optimal tire temps. AI will for sure toast you by up to 30% shorter distance.. Medium corner and light braking feels better but the peak is about all gone. Something like Monza, 1st corner is almost impossible to use the common braking points for each vehicle class. I'm not the best of brakers anyway but i can do it. Also compared to rF2 and AC, there is definitely a lack of braking peak force.
100% agree.
Raceroom has allways had an issue with braking.
But after the dec upd this has been exaggerated/worse.
Take any lightweight openwheeler out on any track and try to completely block the brakes while the speed is more than 100kmH.
With no ABS the wheels dont block AT ALL.:poop:
At least not before the speed get under about 80-100kmH.:roflmao:
Even most arcade racing games does this better/more realist-ish.:cool:

CatsAreTheWorstDogs: In real life any lightweight car with reasonable brakes will block the wheels more or less instantly if you floor the brakepedal. Even grandma´s old Mazda:roflmao:

Take any lightweight openwheeler out on any track and try to completely block the brakes while the speed is more than 100kmH.
Tried the FRJ? blocks quite quickly at high speed, for the tatuus and FR3 i have no idea at what speed/braking force they should block IRL, but in game I have to modulate braking quite fast as the down force decreases, sounds realistic enough to me for now.

Last edited:
The point is not if you can find a car where its possible to block the wheels when "the down force decreases".
The point is that in RL you can block the wheels almost instantly if you floor the brake pedal - at any speed.
Just not in Raceroom.:cool:

The point is that in RL you can block the wheels almost instantly if you floor the brake pedal - at any speed.
You're sure of that? I know nothing, but wouldn't be surprised that with enough downforce some modern beginner openwheeler would have enough grip to handle full brake. If not I would reduce break force for safety reasons.

Just not in Raceroom.:cool:
Like I said, at high speed the FRJ blocks way before flooring the brakes, no wings, n the nose even lift up a bit with speed, so makes sense.

I know nothing, but wouldn't be surprised that with enough downforce some modern beginner openwheeler would have enough grip to handle full brake.
Either you are quite honest that you "know nothing" - or you by selecting a more or less irrelevant/fictional car example do struggle so hard to defend this bug in Raceroom because of... yes because of what?:whistling:

If we take any F1 car as an example of a car that probably have the higest downforce and grip - then there are a lot of examples IN RL(!) where drivers at almost topspeed has floored the brake.
With the result that the wheels instantly has blocked and either got flatspotted or worse got the car to spin out in the grabble.
And my point from the beginning has been that this is 100% impossible in Raceroom.:cool:

End of discussion about this obvious bug for my part - at the moment.:roflmao::roflmao:

Either you are quite honest that you "know nothing" - or you by selecting a more or less irrelevant/fictional car example do struggle so hard to defend this bug in Raceroom because of... yes because of what?:whistling:

If we take any F1 car as an example of a car that probably have the higest downforce and grip - then there are a lot of examples IN RL(!) where drivers at almost topspeed has floored the brake.
With the result that the wheels instantly has blocked and either got flatspotted or worse got the car to spin out in the grabble.
And my point from the beginning has been that this is 100% impossible in Raceroom.:cool:

End of discussion about this obvious bug for my part - at the moment.:roflmao::roflmao:
At almost top speed? Can you please put some video of that?
In F1 at top speed, and straight line of course, they always push the pedal to the bottom at the beginning

100% agree.
Raceroom has allways had an issue with braking.
But after the dec upd this has been exaggerated/worse.
With no ABS the wheels dont block AT ALL.:poop:
At least not before the speed get under about 80-100kmH.:roflmao:
Even most arcade racing games does this better/more realist-ish.:cool:

CatsAreTheWorstDogs: In real life any lightweight car with reasonable brakes will block the wheels more or less instantly if you floor the brakepedal. Even grandma´s old Mazda:roflmao:

Um... open wheelers won't lock brakes at top speed. There is too much downforce. They can lock quite soon after the car has already slowed down. I can't remember ever seeing a lock up at top speed in real life. Regular car is different, they don't have such downforce pushing them down and their brakes also react to temperature very differently. Carbon and ceramic brakes starts to really work after they have heated sufficiently, they don't fade, which will lead to late lockups very easy. That is not my problem.. My problem is that at 100% brake pressure they don't produce enough retardation. The rest of the braking curve is more "believable". In fact, i noticed that if you use only 90% brakes, they seems to slow down more at the peak and overall, trail braking into a corner feels a bit easier (but we have to remember that none of us have tested pre and post patch side by side...). Maybe the tires are starting to lockup way sooner than the sounds would indicate...

I also admit that braking is by far my weakest area, i'm good at mid corner and exit... But at least i could get the car slowing down within +20% from ideal (100m ideal, i brake at 120m, those that have had to drive behind me can confirm that i suck). Now i'm at +50% and the car still doesn't slow down enough, on a very "simple" braking on a straight. I could understand it on a spoon or downhill braking but.. on a flat straight, car fully balanced? Doesn't happen on AC or rF2.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.