RaceDepartment Talk 'n' Drive - The New RaceRoom Porsche

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Porsche R3E Talk and Drive.jpg

RaceDepartment take a spin in the yet to be released Porsche 911 GT3 at the recent Sim Racing Expo event.

Thanks to access to the impressive RaceRoom Café situated right at the heart of the Nürburgring Grand Prix Circuit in Germany, we had the opportunity to get our hands on the latest piece of content under production for RaceRoom Racing Experience, the Porsche 911 GT3. Designed and built as the first fruits of a new relationship between RaceRoom and the German brand, the new Porsche 911 GT3 was in use during the Expo as a promotional event within the RaceRoom Café itself, and gave the public their first opportunity to get behind the wheel of the car and see for ourselves what the future of the sim could look like once it releases over the next few weeks.

Now of course it has to be said that the car we drove isn't necessarily the final version that will be added to the public build of RaceRoom Racing Experience, however even in its current state it already produces an exceptionally polished and thoroughly enjoyable driving experience.

Looking resplendent liveried up with the logos from the on site competition, I must say I found myself seriously impressed with the way the car drives. Considering I was outside of my comfort zone using different equipment than my home setup, had a camera in my face and a crowd of folks watching, all whilst trying to say something half sensible and drive at the same time, I really did come away with a very positive feeling from the car during my half hour or so behind the wheel.

As mentioned in the video above, the way the car moves around underneath you presents a very pleasurable experience for the driver, and in particular I seriously enjoyed the extra detail that appears to have been applied to the way the car reacts under heavy braking. This is a much appreciated change in the way cars behave in R3E, and is something I'm sure will be very popular with fans once they get some seat time themselves post release.

Although I did say in the video that the audio was again superb (which it is), on further reflection I kind of think it lacks that distinctive Porsche sound in its current state. This is something I am hopeful will be addressed before it hits the store for real, and with the talented @anthony monteil taking charge in the audio department I'm sure things will be addressed in fine style come launch day.

At present pricing and release schedules have not been made available by either Sector3 Studios or RaceRoom with regards to the Porsche, so stay tuned to RaceDepartment as we bring you more information in the coming days and weeks.

RaceRoom Racing Experience is a racing simulation exclusive to PC.

Take your RaceRoom Racing Experience online with RaceDepartment. Check out our Club and League Racing sub forum for a great place to sample a popular and wide cross-section of cars and tracks from Sector3 Studios current racing simulation. As well as organised Club and League events, we also host a number of mods and car setups, plus a thriving sub forum dedicated to this racing title.

Like the look of the new Porsche? Looking forward to trying it out for yourself? Which other Porsche models would you like to see added to the game in future? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
The mentions of things like "it's not a traditional GT3 Blancpain series type car" or "it feels much more alive than other cars from the class" are kinda unfortunate - it's indeed not a traditional GT3 Blancpain series type car and there are no other cars in its class in R3E, as it's not a GT3 car at all :) Though Porsche really have made it quite confusing with this car, so it's an easy enough mistake to make.

Apart from that - sounds great and really can't come quite soon enough :)

Gopher04

Premium
Man the hair looks awful in that video. I promise I have real hair and not a painted hair shaped hat. It was a windy day and I didn't have a mirror / dryer or spray in the morning :D lol
Man think yourself lucky you have hair no matter what it looks like, I had hair like that when I was 10..aah those were the days..

Nice vid Paul, but the rig you were sat in looked abit cramped, that or your tall..

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 90 19.0%
  • €151-500

Votes: 125 26.4%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 81 17.1%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 42 8.9%
  • €1501-3000

Votes: 48 10.1%
  • €3001-5000