Race 1 - Spa Francrochamps

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. You don't gain any time going very wide in Blanchimont. Fastest line is inside the lines.
2. There's no point talking about "real" because any real life racer will use all the track he can. Just look at the F1 race in Monza. EVERY driver went wide in Variante Ascari and there was no talk about it not being fair. The marshals also acknowledged that you couldn't really win any time doing that so the white lines were ignored.
3. I don't get the argument about car setup. I set my car so I can take Blanchimont flat out and be inside the white lines. I'm not saying I was able to take it flat out and be inside the lines every time in the race but setting the car that way had no impact in my speed on the other sections.

Anyway I think it is realistic to allow people to go wide there because in real life they do it as well. And you are after realism so you should be ok with it. I also think the STC crew have done a good job with the circuit cut warnings and the crash bumps so why don't we just all concentrate on racing.

it was to be expected that with new teams coming in, a rules discussion would come up and I think it's good because it gives everyone a chance to have their say. I suppose when the rules for STC were set up we all had several seasons under our belts in other leagues and we all had witnessed the carnage of post after post after post complaining about this or that line being taken even with rules very tight there just never seemed to be an end to it. That's how we avoided the whole issue (and at the same time aknowledged we were in fact playing a computer game programmed by humans who make mistakes) by letting the game decide. Live marshalling is the only realistic solution if one is striving for realism but that would in the final analysis mean one marshall per player on the server since no game we know off allows for stationary observers around a virtual track.

lol, just watching parts of the broadcast replay (if the play button doesn't work simply click on the little round spot sitting pretty on the timeline at the bottom of the screen, it will do the trick) and, boy, the quality is astounding. Visuals that is. Commentary leaves much to be desired as Xose and I grapple with the new software and I keep making wrong calls, misnaming cars, players, whole teams, introducing fellow commentators who obviously cannot hear me, what fun, laugh of the day. Promise to do a more organized job next time, I swear we will, honest.

Rules are clear guys, don´t see the point of discussing them again. In iRacing you simnply can´t cut because it is a good simulator and the limits are well set, in Race07 the limits are the ones set by the track creators, and most of the times are really bad set.

Most of the STC tracks have been reworked and set new limits, but there can be corners like Balnchemont where you can go wide... then just do it, or lose time, you decide. I am a bit tired of that "fair" unfair affair, and I think that when the rules of the game are set you just should read them and play like they say.

100 points too STC
I have been online racing for 4 years with white line rule. If you then pratice with 2 wheels you willl face that on race-day same is not following the rule and cut. They seldom get penalty either.
The other way is track like Branch Hacth and Valencia, where "white line" rule can bent and YOU know it after the race.

This is a team league and i beleave that same in the team has read the rules before joining?

Stay with this way, it the most fair way for all drivers.

I will wait to see penalty, the same driver was sending a backmarker out to the grass at one point.
I injoined the race yesterday, starting from 13 and ending up at 9 with 3 spin in last chicane and a very bad pit stop. i am happy.
Got a hit in t1 at same moment to, but i will look to see how he goes from that.

Money will always make people read.

EB

To the Broadcast Team , Good Job!
One small note, Please stop calling people Players! Call Them Drivers!

That is Eckhart decision for his personal reasons and even if I don't share it (I always say drivers) I respect it because he's the best comentator I've ever seen :)

About the cutting rules... manual review it just doesn't work. You can't review 90 minutes of cutting from every driver, even if we distribute the job. That would generate random penalties and situations like the following:

- You can't always compare the severity of the cutting between two drivers (ex. 2 small cuts vs 1 big cut)
- One week a marshall is very busy and doesn't review his assigned driver, or does not do it deeply, while other marshall does. Driver 1 gets no penalty and driver 2 does get it.
- Team A is fighting in points with the team they review (C), so C gets cutting penalties while A don't because team B who reviews them did it with a more flexible mind.

Manual cutting review will never work.

A set of rules is fair if are the same for everybody, and everybody knows them before, which is the case on STC. Maybe we aren't always doing the same lines they do in real life (we do it in a 95% anyway) but this is the only way we can be sure that every driver is judged under the same conditions, with the same severity and intensity, and more than that, the penalties are given during the race, which is more fair and affect the position of 3rd persons.

So forguet Blanchimont and start thinking in Mercedes Arena :)

That is Eckhart decision for his personal reasons and even if I don't share it (I always say drivers) I respect it because he's the best comentator I've ever seen :)

About the cutting rules... manual review it just doesn't work. You can't review 90 minutes of cutting from every driver, even if we distribute the job. That would generate random penalties and situations like the following:

- You can't always compare the severity of the cutting between two drivers (ex. 2 small cuts vs 1 big cut)
- One week a marshall is very busy and doesn't review his assigned driver, or does not do it deeply, while other marshall does. Driver 1 gets no penalty and driver 2 does get it.
- Team A is fighting in points with the team they review (C), so C gets cutting penalties while A don't because team B who reviews them did it with a more flexible mind.

Manual cutting review will never work.

A set of rules is fair if are the same for everybody, and everybody knows them before, which is the case on STC. Maybe we aren't always doing the same lines they do in real life (we do it in a 95% anyway) but this is the only way we can be sure that every driver is judged under the same conditions, with the same severity and intensity, and more than that, the penalties are given during the race, which is more fair and affect the position of 3rd persons.

So forguet Blanchimont and start thinking in Mercedes Arena :)

Very nice explenation, Agree 100% .

Had same feeling about calling the drivers "Players". We try to simulate the reality and doing a fine job with the broadcast. Calling the drivers players kinda goes against this. I like to not see a simulater as a Game.
But true Eckard does a great job so we forgive him :) :) .

Well that was an exhausting race for me. Although I was able to drive my own pace all through the race the conditions and the track itself made it challenging.

Qualifying went well for once and I was able to do a good lap. Nowhere close to my best times but then again it's superpole and you need to get a lap time and make no mistakes.

Race started after some confusing messages from the race control because they kept saying RED FLAG - ONE MORE LAP numerous times and still the race started after the first pace lap. I would like the race control to be a bit more precise with their messages in the future. Anyway as I saw david pull to the pits I knew the race would start so I think the start itself was ok for everybody. I got away cleanly but the track being damp I was very careful in Eau Rouge which gave Göran a really good chance to overtake me but wisely :) he backed off to save us both from an incident. From there on I just concentrated on my own mistake free pace and slowly I began to pull away from the rest of the guys. The race went on like this until the pit stops but after the stops Göran had closed to gap to only about 5 seconds. I kept doing my own thing and again slowly I was able to increase the gap. Then I started to get in trouble with the lapped traffic. I cought Pedro Mourao of Sonic Racing just before Pouhon and even though I was really close he didn't let my by but instead went on the brakes in the middle of the little straight after Pouhon with me right in his slipstream. I had to make a quick maneuver to try and avoid him and I thought I have managed to do it but then I saw him on the grass. I don't know what he was thinking braking in the middle of a straight with a car right behind but it was pure luck that neither of us retired right there. Then when I came up to Ethan Bass it seemed like he was trying to fight me not to lap him. I clearly was side by side with him coming into La Source but he blocked the inside and only yelded when I out accelereted him on the run to Eau Rouge. I know that all FO cars look more or less the same so maybe the guys thought it was a car on the same lap and not the leader. In the future I hope I don't have to actually fight to lap a car.

After all the troubles and an exhausting race I'm ecstatic to have won the season opener again. I'd like to congratulate the rest of the podium, Göran and Tyler for a good race. Also congrats to rest of the FO club guys for sticking there until the end even with some major incidents. Those points might be crucial in the end of the season so we need all the points we can get. Also a big thank you for the STC crew for finally :D bringing us a high quality (picture quality wise) broadcast!...the commentating was already perfect to begin with of course.

I'll see you in the next....oh wait it's not Hockenheim probably so in the future races.

Racereport

Qually went not very good, the time was at least 0.8sec to slow and put me on 11th spot which should be around 6/7.
But always a bit to carefull when it's 'hotlap', will work on that :)

Start went well and kept my place but in lap 6 got a black screen:no: for about 4 sec. on the straight of start/finish
and scared the hell out of me, but i did have sound??!!
Banged the wall a bit i heared and kept right so i could not be in the way of others and when i had my screen back I was at p17 grrrgrrrr but luckely could make the first turn nicely.
Well that took some concentration and pace away from me as you can imagine, but never give up with still a long race ahead
of me and with my teammate Tyler also with some bad luck, we just keep on driving and pushing till the end and see where
it would bring us.
I think Tylers outcome of the race is fantastic with his 3rd place :doublethumb:and after 90 min. I crossed the finishline on 8th place
being happy about that but i keep thinking what could have been if i hadn't that freeze.....
Sharing the first spot with Flatout Racing is very nice for our FDR-team and shows you that it's very important to finish with 2 cars ;) :drink:

Congrats to Mikko, Goran and Tyler!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play