Race 07 and VR Possible?

Thinking about moving from my current 3x 1440, 27", 3D monitor setup to a VR headset, however, I'll only move over if I can continue playing my racing games in 3D / stereo vision. Is it possible to use Race 07 / Race Injection with VR? It doesn't have to work perfect. The most important thing being 3D / stereo vision.

I saw there's a mod which allows GTR2 to run with a VR headset. There's also a mod which allows AMS1 to be run in VR. The GTR2 one is from the same person / people behind Crew Chief (not sure about the AMS1 VR mod). Does that mean all the non-RF2 ISI GMotor-based games can be run in VR?

If GTR2 and AMS1 can be run with VR, I don't see why Race 07 and, say, GT Legends can't.

I'm mostly concerned with GT Legends and Race 07 / Race Injection. F1 Challenge 99-02 and GTR1 would be a bonus too but GTL & R07 are the most important.

I'll be getting a Pimax if I make the move...

Thinking about moving from my current 3x 1440, 27", 3D monitor setup to a VR headset, however, I'll only move over if I can continue playing my racing games in 3D / stereo vision. Is it possible to use Race 07 / Race Injection with VR? It doesn't have to work perfect. The most important thing being 3D / stereo vision.

I saw there's a mod which allows GTR2 to run with a VR headset. There's also a mod which allows AMS1 to be run in VR. The GTR2 one is from the same person / people behind Crew Chief (not sure about the AMS1 VR mod). Does that mean all the non-RF2 ISI GMotor-based games can be run in VR?

If GTR2 and AMS1 can be run with VR, I don't see why Race 07 and, say, GT Legends can't.

I'm mostly concerned with GT Legends and Race 07 / Race Injection. F1 Challenge 99-02 and GTR1 would be a bonus too but GTL & R07 are the most important.

I'll be getting a Pimax if I make the move...
You should be able to run Race07 in VR via vorpx/OpenTrack. But there will be no further ports of my work (AMS1 is based on GTR2 VR) to related games, so no Native VR, at least not from my CC plugin work. Vorpx/opentrack is fairly playable, but a bit glitchy.

Last edited:
You should be able to run Race07 in VR via vorpx/OpenTrack. But there will be no further ports of my work (AMS1 is based on GTR2 VR) to related games, so no Native VR, at least not from my CC plugin work. Vorpx/opentrack is fairly playable, but a bit glitchy.
Would you be so kind as to help me a little?

1. VorpX states official support for RF1 but no other ISI engine based sims (besides RF2). So I'm assuming you just apply the RF1 VorpX files/fixes to GTL and R07 and it'll work? The reason I ask is because if GTL and R07 work, I'll buy VorpX. They apparently don't offer rebates though so I need to kind of know for sure.

2. VorpX also states they support 2 different 3D methods. I'm assuming one is true 3D stereoscopic vision while the other is the depth buffer AKA "fake" 3D similar to the option in Nvidia's 3D Vision called Compatibility Mode. If this is true, are GTL, RF1, and R07 done in true 3D or the fake depth buffer 3D (which makes every thing look more like a pop-out book with multiple flat layers of depth)?

3. Do the above racing games, using VorpX VR, look like they're on a screen in front of you (like when playing a non-VR game or watching a movie on a VR headset) or are they like a traditional VR game where you're "in" the game rather than watching it on a screen?

Side-question regarding your work. Since GTR2, AMS1, R07, RF1, and GTL all use very similar engines, how come the fantastic work you already did doesn't just automatically work with the other games? Please excuse my ignorance on this topic.

Maybe it is possible using this:
https://github.com/DrBeef/HL2VR_d3d9/tree/main/d3d9/d3d9
But I don't have any vr headset to test it myself.
I'm not sure what I'm looking at there. I just see a bunch of files. It looks like it's some sort of program to make Half-Life (or HL2) work in VR.

Last edited:
Would you be so kind as to help me a little?

1. VorpX states official support for RF1 but no other ISI engine based sims (besides RF2). So I'm assuming you just apply the RF1 VorpX files/fixes to GTL and R07 and it'll work? The reason I ask is because if GTL and R07 work, I'll buy VorpX. They apparently don't offer rebates though so I need to kind of know for sure.

2. VorpX also states they support 2 different 3D methods. I'm assuming one is true 3D stereoscopic vision while the other is the depth buffer AKA "fake" 3D similar to the option in Nvidia's 3D Vision called Compatibility Mode. If this is true, are GTL, RF1, and R07 done in true 3D or the fake depth buffer 3D (which makes every thing look more like a pop-out book with multiple flat layers of depth)?

3. Do the above racing games, using VorpX VR, look like they're on a screen in front of you (like when playing a non-VR game or watching a movie on a VR headset) or are they like a traditional VR game where you're "in" the game rather than watching it on a screen?

Side-question regarding your work. Since GTR2, AMS1, R07, RF1, and GTL all use very similar engines, how come the fantastic work you already did doesn't just automatically work with the other games? Please excuse my ignorance on this topic.

I'm not sure what I'm looking at there. I just see a bunch of files. It looks like it's some sort of program to make Half-Life (or HL2) work in VR.
I am sorry, it's been 2 years since I ran vorpx, I do not remember precise details anymore so take it all with a grain of salt. Also, for the record I never ran Race 07 in vorpx VR, only rF2 (before it supported VR) and GTR2. So I cannot give you any guarantees. That said, with GTR2 + opentrack, tracking was fairly good. Without opentrack it is stepped. Headtracking in vorpx is achieved via the mouse look, whereas opentrack using TrackIR.

I never used full vorpx 3D - it's too slow and I can't tell the difference. I used one of the fast modes. But I don't think you will get real stereo in vorpx. That said, did you know Pimax is so-so when it comes to stereo? I use pimax and love it, but not for the stereo effect, my reason is FOV. But many people complain about Pimax lenses, stereo etc.

Vorpx has many modes, and in my opinion it can be made to look almost like real VR, after a lot of fiddling.

Even if games are similar - they are not identical, and even adapting our work (headtracking of VR is mostly done by my CC teamate Sparten, and I did the rendering) is a lot of work and commitment. Besides me, no one on our team plays those games (almost everything in CC exists because one of the devs uses it) and I play only GTR2, so there will be no further ports.

Last edited:
Maybe it is possible using this:
https://github.com/DrBeef/HL2VR_d3d9/tree/main/d3d9/d3d9
But I don't have any vr headset to test it myself.
I never used full vorpx 3D - it's too slow and I can't tell the difference. I used one of the fast modes. But I don't think you will get real stereo in vorpx. That said, did you know Pimax is so-so when it comes to stereo? I use pimax and love it, but not for the stereo effect, my reason is FOV. But many people complain about Pimax lenses, stereo etc.
So even full VorpX 3D is not real stereo?

I've heard some complaints about the lenses (apparently properly setting your IPD using 2 or 3 different methods fixes most issues) but I never heard any complaints about the actual 3D / stereo. Care to elaborate a bit? 3D / stereo vision and FOV are the most important things for me above graphics, resolution / pixel density, head-tracking, etc.

So even full VorpX 3D is not real stereo?

I've heard some complaints about the lenses (apparently properly setting your IPD using 2 or 3 different methods fixes most issues) but I never heard any complaints about the actual 3D / stereo. Care to elaborate a bit? 3D / stereo vision and FOV are the most important things for me above graphics, resolution / pixel density, head-tracking, etc.
Sorry, I am wrong person to ask, but I'd say it's not a real 3D, at least not in GTR2/rF2. I have imbalanced vision, so even when VR game uses same camera position for both eyes, it does not irritate me. Maybe, someone on vorpx thread will help you.

I have another piece of bad news - with GTR2+vorpx, I had to sometimes start it multiple times, because there's a bug with startup... it is hack that tries to work with many games, not a uniquely tailored hack. It's frustrating you cannot try it before using it :(

I didn't know you got Pimax already - enjoy, if you like it it's all good, ignore my rambling. I love my 5K XR.

PS:I also have some good news - CC Plugin supports canted rendering natively, so, no PP. And, for (only) GTR2 I developed a fork of DXVK so VR there is done via Vulkan.

Last edited:
I posted on the VorpX forums and apparently VorpX with rFactor and ISI engined games uses true 3D rather than fake z buffer depth 3D (although you can use fake z buffer 3D if you want higher framerates). However, a user on Youtube who made a video about GTR2 and VR said the 3D isn't perfect. I asked him what he meant:

Spinelli: What do you mean when you say the 3D isn't perfect?

WromWrom: On a game that's done for VR, you get a good depth perception, as the graphics are calculated so that they give you exactly that. This here takes pancake images and tries to force them into 3D (and very cleverly so, the mod is a marvel) and of course, by it's own nature, it won't be able to give you the depth perception from graphics that are already prepared to do that. I hope I made myself understandable? Try it out in any way. It's a very clever way of giving AMS drivers a VR experience.

Spinelli: So is it using fake z-buffer depth 3D? Or true 3D?

WromWrom: I don't know the details of how it's programmed. I can only speak from what I see, and that is that - while it's impressive work - it does not render the objects in 3D, it uses the pancake engine of AMS to emulate a 3D-ish experience. Anything else I suppose would have meant changing the graphic rendering of AMS extensively. Which I suppose it's near impossible with closed source.

Spinelli: Hmmm. I can get perfect, real 3D with AMS1 [and GTR2] using Nvidia's 3D Vision. I'll ask in some forums to see if AMS1 and GTR2 are using true 3D or not using Crew Chief's VR plugin.

Hmmmm..........

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back