R3E Nov update - really impressed

As the title said. I gave a try this weekend to R3E on its latest updated. Even I have only driven the OTB free content, I have to say it impressed me.

Had to do almost no tweaks to graphics, sound, FF, etc. it worked pretty well. I am sure I can improve some aspects of the sim. It may take a bit of time and experience, getting familiar with the engines. Coming from AC, FF feels different but good enough to provide information of what is happening. The graphics are really good, compared from last time I tried it. Is it running on DX9? The PP effects are pretty good, I really like the motion blur and dept of field effects. Performance is good too. Probably the best part are the sounds, the damn sounds are sooo good. They really provide a level of immersion not experienced on other sims.

I really do not know if I will proceed or not from this point. The Europe track pack looks very tempting, but also I would need to invest in some cars. My main concern is the amount of online races available that may be compatible with the content I would download. There are some official leaderboard competitions, which I find it pretty interesting and convenient.

Any thoughs of someone on a similar situation like me?

The graphics are really good, compared from last time I tried it. Is it running on DX9?

Yes, it is.

My main concern is the amount of online races available that may be compatible with the content I would download.

Join the racing club here on RD and you're not likely to ever worry about the amount of online races. There are at least three events per week in the R3E club.

I have to say I too, am extremely impressed with the improvements.
No longer is the A.I 'dive-bombing' into you at every turn.
I actually ran a few sessions over the weekend to get a better idea of what they'd do over a few laps.
Here's one of those sessions...hard passes but no punting.

Must say I'm massively back into RR again!
The improvements are extremely good and hard to believe it's running on ye ole DX9 and bits n bobs of rF1 engine, it's like a completely different title. And yes, the SOUNDSSSSSS! Music to a petrol heads ears.

I've had it for a while so have a fair bit of content already but I'd definitely get the Euro Track Pack, but then there is Bathurst, Macau, Suzuka, Sonoma... and then there are the cars, DTM, GTR3, Formula... too much good content and you need to buy wisely.
I do believe there is a buying guide within the pages of this very site that can help you. :)

Thanks for the buying guide guys. Looks like getting VRPs is the way to go.

In terms of cars so far I have tried some prototypes and some cup. How are the formula cars? Also the GT3 seems to be the best.

GT3, DTM2016 and WTCC 2016 are the best IMHO. I also find the 92 DTM cars pretty fun, but the physics seem a little too forgiving to me. Everything else.....ehhhh....I dunno....the indy car is fun but tires quickly for me. A lot of the other cars are on older physics. I don't like the BMW either. Maybe the Audi TT Cup.

A lot of the other cars are on older physics.
Depends on how you define 'a lot'.
Going from memory here, so it's not a definite list, but:
1st Gen physics: German nationals, Hillclimb icons, GTR X, P1 (except the Audi). Very 'boaty' FFB, and I honestly never touch them.
2nd Gen physics: DTM 92, Touring Classics, Group 5, GTOs. Not as precise as the current gen, but eminently drivable once you get used to it.
3rd Gen physics: Everything else except the newly updated GTR3s. Very, very good physics, IMO right up there with any other sim you care to mention.
4th Gen physics: So far only the GTR3s. The difference between 3rd and 4th gen is subtle, but it's there. The new GTR3s are easy to drive, but hard to drive fast, if that makes any sense.

How are the formula cars?
I'm not really the right guy to ask, since I hate the bloody things with a passion, but... :D
They're pretty good. Obviously no licenses, so they're fictional cars with its pros and cons.
But they feel right. Very grippy, but you need to be precise with your inputs or things go wrong horribly fast.
And the FRX is only for people who are already tired of living. :D

How are the formula cars?
I love them. I might be biased though, since open wheelers are my favourites in general :whistling:

The F4 is the easiest one to handle. Not too fast, and quite predictable in its handling.
The Formula Junior is slower, and more difficult to drive. Plenty of fun though throwing it around the corners.
F3 and FR2 might be the toughest ones to handle, fast but far less grip than the FRX.
The FRX is a blast to drive, fast and plenty of downforce.
The FR US I've only driven once or twice, bit more challenging than the FRX I find.

Best follow Kenny's advice and take them for a test drive, so you can judge them yourself.

I have F4 ( fun to race at shorter tracks, one of my favorites), F2 ( very fast, lots of grip), FRUS ( more fasterer, P2P, more grip, hard to handle at first, but I like them now) and the F Junior, which is just a lot of fun at Stowe and similar tracks.

1st Gen physics: German nationals, Hillclimb icons, GTR X, P1 (except the Audi). Very 'boaty' FFB, and I honestly never touch them.

All P1's and P2's are on 'current' physics (sans GTR3 since they are the only ones on the utmost cutting edge). The Prototypes were all updated for the release of the R18 so they could compete against each other :)

2nd Gen physics: DTM 92, Touring Classics, Group 5, GTOs. Not as precise as the current gen, but eminently drivable once you get used to it.

G5's and GTO's were also updated last year, so they too are on the 'current' gen of physics sans GTR3 overhaul.

WTCC 13/14 also slot in as the old physics. WTCC 15 would probably slot into your 2nd group. While WTCC 16/17 are on the newest physics.

Overall though, there isnt going to be a massive difference between many of these. Well, except the GTR X and German Nationals. Those are just... ugh.

Basically, just refer to this post :p

All P1's and P2's are on 'current' physics (sans GTR3 since they are the only ones on the utmost cutting edge). The Prototypes were all updated for the release of the R18 so they could compete against each other :)

G5's and GTO's were also updated last year, so they too are on the 'current' gen of physics sans GTR3 overhaul.

WTCC 13/14 also slot in as the old physics. WTCC 15 would probably slot into your 2nd group. While WTCC 16/17 are on the newest physics.

Overall though, there isnt going to be a massive difference between many of these. Well, except the GTR X and German Nationals. Those are just... ugh.

Basically, just refer to this post :p
Gr. 5s and DTM'92s are on current physics?
Really?
Huh......Doesn't feel like it, but I suppose that could just be the suspension of those things. Well, or lack of same. :p

Gr. 5s and DTM'92s are on current physics?
Really?
Huh......Doesn't feel like it, but I suppose that could just be the suspension of those things. Well, or lack of same. :p

The groups 5's are on current physics, yes. They first released in 2015, and then were updated in the spring of 2016. Personally though, I thought they had a bit more character before they received an update. :p

I think you misunderstood me about the DTM 92's though. Those are still on the old physics. It was mentioned quite a long time ago that they were in the pipeline to be updated, but that never came to fruition sadly. On the bright side too, they are still a nice challenge to drive and they dont drive anywhere near as poorly as the German nationals for instance. :)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back