R3E: Formula RaceRoom 2, teaser images released

Bram Hengeveld

Site Founder
Staff
Premium
Formula RaceRoom 2_1.jpg

Just moments ago Sector3 Studios released two teaser images of their take on a powerful openwheel car, called the Formula RaceRoom.

A couple of years back when Sector3 Studios was still known as SimBin Studios and their premier racing title was called RACE 07 a first attempt was made to release a full blown openwheeler with Formula 1 specs under the same name. Unfortunately the car didn't match the real life models and the handling wasn't spectacular either.

Their second attempt at a higher series open wheeler this time in their RaceRoom Racing Experience title looks a lot more impressive by just looking at the images taken at the Circuit Spa-Francorchamps.

Further details on a release date and pricing aren't known yet.

Formula RaceRoom 2_2.jpg

@DavidMcClean The ability to save setups is a feature that will be implemented in coming patches, so hopefully that will be added in the very near future. As a workaround, the last used setup is stored by the sim, so if you really need to keep multiple setups for the same car, you can always make the setup, go into your setups folder on your C drive (or where ever you have the game installed, mine is documents/mygames/simbin/raceroom racing experience/userdata/carsetups/trackname) and copy the .svm file). Save it on your desktop then just add it in when you want use it. Yes its clunky, but it works as a temporary solution until something in game is available...:)

Also, I find the AI has improved somewhat in recent updates, I actually find it one of the better AI's in today's sims, it could do with more "fight" between each other, but overall its actually quite good now, much improved over previous versions for sure! Saying that, I mostly do my racing online in RaceDepartment's Club racing forum, so I haven't really spend hours against the AI recently... nothing beats going up against real people now I've caught the bug!

@DavidMcClean the adaptive AI, when you have run enough races to train it is the most innovative and best AI in the whole sim business. End of story. Period.

Take time to let it adapt and you will notice just how good it does that. It is dynamic instead of hardcoded.

If you want to call this ridiculous, then you are blind. Ridiculous would be Project (doctored screenshots of) Cars :)

LMAO...the AI can't get round Macau...come to think of it the AI can't do one lap without ramming you off the track.

Just imagine as well how fun setting up these cars will be WITH NO ABILITY TO SAVE SETUPS.....

A ridiculous 'sim'....

Not sure when you last gave Raceroom a spin, but the AI doesn't ram you off the track anymore. S3S recently implemented an update that made the AI exceptionally fun to race against.

In terms of saving setups, as other people have stated R3E automatically saves the last setup you ran with a car on a track, so unless you are making huge changes from qualifying to the race then you aren't losing much in that regard. It's something they are working on that will be implemented at some point, but everyone seems to make a much bigger deal about it than it actually is.

@DavidMcClean the adaptive AI, when you have run enough races to train it is the most innovative and best AI in the whole sim business. End of story. Period.

Take time to let it adapt and you will notice just how good it does that. It is dynamic instead of hardcoded.

If you want to call this ridiculous, then you are blind. Ridiculous would be Project (doctored screenshots of) Cars :)

Ah I see now.....the AI 'adapts' to not ramming into you over a lot of laps on a track...they somehow move from 'blind, spatially unaware and dumb' to 'the most innovative and best AI in the whole sim business'.

Excellent.

If you believe that this is the 'the most innovative and best AI in the whole sim business' then you're a relative newcomer to sim racing and have never heard of sims like GP4 or rFactor or rFactor2.

I suggest you get some more laps and sims under your belt before you make such 'authoritative' statements.

And whatever pCars has to do with this is beyond me. Unless it's just something really random. In that case 'Quake Arena has far better rocket jumping tools than RRE'.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure when you last gave Raceroom a spin, but the AI doesn't ram you off the track anymore. S3S recently implemented an update that made the AI exceptionally fun to race against.

In terms of saving setups, as other people have stated R3E automatically saves the last setup you ran with a car on a track, so unless you are making huge changes from qualifying to the race then you aren't losing much in that regard. It's something they are working on that will be implemented at some point, but everyone seems to make a much bigger deal about it than it actually is.

Today.

On a straight the AI came up beside me and shunted me off. On a straight.

Guess I hadn't run enough laps to let it 'learn and adapt'.....

Today.

Guess I hadn't run enough laps to let it 'learn and adapt'.....[/QUOT
Try to drive a little faster then,it sounds like the ai are getting road rage from your slow driving
Today.

Guess I hadn't run enough laps to let it 'learn and adapt'.....
HULK SMASH!!!!!!!!

@DavidMcClean, well i started simulation racing with a full wheel kit, in GP2 with an old Thrustmaster unit. 1996ish. I have run all sims since then basically. Probably some millions of laps.

I have also competed in real life track and rally racing for 25 years. Always been looking for that true offline training tool akin to what the pilots have with Flight Sim.

So if you want to call me out on experience (a strange call in this case as it wouldnt matter how many laps you have to judge the AI) be my guest, but i have plenty, real life and sim... My line of work for the past 25+ years is also in software engineering, with many previous contracts in military simulation and such. So i deem myself qualified to give fair judgement on AI seeing i have actually worked on a few AI engines in my days...

As for rFactor for instance... That AI is hardcoded to follow the AI line drawn by the track maker. They do so without exception. The dynamic AI in RRE is a major step forward. Also, the fact that it gets faster as you get faster without the use of some magic slider (hence adaptive) is really impressive from a programming point of view.

But it has flaws. All AI do. However it has never rammed me the way you describe...

I wan
@DavidMcClean, well i started simulation racing with a full wheel kit, in GP2 with an old Thrustmaster unit. 1996ish. I have run all sims since then basically. Probably some millions of laps.

I have also competed in real life track and rally racing for 25 years. Always been looking for that true offline training tool akin to what the pilots have with Flight Sim.

So if you want to call me out on experience (a strange call in this case as it wouldnt matter how many laps you have to judge the AI) be my guest, but i have plenty, real life and sim... My line of work for the past 25+ years is also in software engineering, with many previous contracts in military simulation and such. So i deem myself qualified to give fair judgement on AI seeing i have actually worked on a few AI engines in my days...

As for rFactor for instance... That AI is hardcoded to follow the AI line drawn by the track maker. They do so without exception. The dynamic AI in RRE is a major step forward. Also, the fact that it gets faster as you get faster without the use of some magic slider (hence adaptive) is really impressive from a programming point of view.

But it has flaws. All AI do. However it has never rammed me the way you describe...
I really wish I could of said all this.I suppose I did programme a bird to fly across my tv screen on my old Commodore Vic 20 in 1985.:(

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 62 29.7%
  • More leagues

Votes: 40 19.1%
  • Prizes

Votes: 43 20.6%
  • Trophies

Votes: 24 11.5%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 13 6.2%