Assetto Corsa 1.2 AI improvements... or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
EDIT: I've added a video showing some of the AI problems, look further down the post.
EDIT#2: I've added yet another video showcasing the AI issues of v1.2.1

Those of you hoping for a proper offline racing experience with the 1.2 update.. I'm sorry to have to disappoint you.

Only 30 minutes of testing various AI cars on various tracks (Imola, Spa, Monza) I was basically bombarded with AI problems, one after the other in quick succession.

-AI almost coming to a stop in T1, no matter how fast or slow the corner is. Even when everything is clear ahead the AI’s will hesitate getting on the gas on T1 exit. Slows up the pack and causes chaos.

-Extremely hesitant to make proper moves, yet still punting into you and other AI cars like drunkards.

-AI cars are swerving like they’re drunk on lap 1. Complete disregard of other cars, very bad spatial awareness.

-AI cars are putting wheels on the grass for no logical reason: plenty of space on each side.

-An AI will throw its whole car unto the grass for no reason: it's not trying to avoid a collision for example.

-AI cars are braking - for no reason - on the straights.

-AI cars are swerving without knowing you’re next to them; often resulting in race ending collisions.

-The “Gran Turismo AI maneuver”: An AI car will often hit the brakes and back completely out right when you’re alongside about to make a pass, just like the AI of Gran Turismo used to do.

-AI cars are often taking way too much speed into fast corners and then panic hitting the brakes in the middle of the corner.

-No defending down the straights – when they do defend it’s typically when you’re alongside the AI car and it’ll simply swerve right into your car.

-If one of the front runners spin and end up stationary on the track, the cars behind are often not able to drive around the stationary car; it seems they still lack the logic to drive around an object. They will just park in two long rows behind it and wait.

-AI doesn’t respond to yellow flags – I spun, ended on the track, then after about 5-10 seconds two AI cars drove straight into me at full speed. First of all they didn’t lift or brake, and secondly they weren’t able to drive around me instead of hitting me.

-AI exhibiting completely reckless behavior after losing control: an AI car at full speed clips another car in front, starts to lose control. Lifts, tries to countersteer, gets it somewhat under control on the tarmac runoff, until he then completely floors the throttle for no reason and power drifts straight into the path on the stampeding pack. Complete chaos and race ruined. This happened three times in a row after restarting the race.

-AI is horrible at controlling powerful turbo cars; fish tailing at the starts, looks very bad and quite dangerous for other drivers.

So all in all, regarding AI, 1.2 is a huge disappointment, along with the force feedback which is a big step backwards (but let's leave that for another discussion shall we).

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.

Last edited:
I like where AC... heck! I like where all the modern sims have gone.
It still amazes me that Kunos Simulazioni is so darn small and yet they're putting out work in the same league as big studios.
The update is absolutely an improvement.
I can feel it in almost every car I drive.
I also love the fact that I can join races easily...no searching all over kingdom-come for cars, tracks or anything else....send a request...join. It's that simple.
I finally had the chance to drive the Nismo at Bridgehampton yesterday afternoon...along with a few cars at other circuits.
I also did two races on the League of ordinary gentlemen servers... No crashes, no lag...just pure fun for sixteen laps with lots of clean passing.
If I were a betting man, (based on the dark clouds and foggy skies since the update)....I'd say weather is probably on Kunos' horizon.

I have just played a couple of races against the AI and in my eyes now it's better than the rF2 AI simply because the AC AI is more human like. There are 2 things I hate about rF2 AI because they ruin the immersion:

1. they don't use slipstream, they just stand behind the car and lift off throttle/brake but don't overtake, this is a huge bummer
2. the rF2 AI can't take fast turns (sweepers) fast. When you play against the AI in rF2 you know after 1-2 laps that in this and that turn the AI is slow so that's where you can shave off time/overtake them. I don't have to mention that this is also a super immersion-killer "feature". They fast in slow corners but slow in fast corners.

So now in AC they use slipstream and overtake you.
In AC the AI algorithm was made so the AI can take fast corners fast (I watched the stream by Stefano Castillo and he said this was a problem and he is working on it, it's much better now in 1.2), it can coast. Just watch it on Spa in Eau-Rogue or T10+T11 (Pouchon), they are just as fast as you.

Also since this last update the AC AI doesn't have supergrip (read the changelog, I also saw the stream where Stefano Castillo was talking about this) coming out of the corners which is also more human like. The rF2 AI maybe faster, can beat you easier but that's because the AI is cheating some way in every game and in rF2 it's cheating more. Not mentioning RRE AI. I don't know PCars, I don't play it.

I haven't played the game after it's release (1.0) until now because I didn't like the AI and the FFB.
It's much-much better.

1: Turn down "AI limiter" 0. Problem solved.
2: Yes they can. As long as the AIW is properly done, like on the official ISI tracks and the top notch third party tracks, the rF2 AI has no problems with fast corners.

BTW if anyone is interested, check out my experience with the v1.2.1 Assetto Corsa AI during only 30 minutes of gameplay. I think the video speaks for itself...

2: Yes they can. As long as the AIW is properly done, like on the official ISI tracks and the top notch third party tracks, the rF2 AI has no problems with fast corners.

1. AI limiter = 0 doesn't help. Just tried on Le Mans, they still don't want to overtake. I've been using 1 until now.
2. nope... just try Malaysia or Silverstone with lots of higher speed corners. Pretty easy to spot where they are slower than they should. Or watch them on AMP in that last long lefthand corner, they don't want to take it flatout in the Indycar.

Last edited:
1. AI limiter = 0 doesn't help. Just tried on Le Mans, they still don't want to overtake. I've been using 1 until now.
2. nope... just try Malaysia or Silverstone with lots of higher speed corners. Pretty easy to spot where they are slower than they should. Or watch them on AMP in that last long lefthand corner, they don't want to take it flatout in the Indycar.

1. I don't have any problems on Le Mans.
2. Yup. I've been racing rFactor 2 for over two years now and I haven't experienced AI having problems in fast corners on tracks with properly made AIWs. Turn up the strength and/or aggression sliders to match the AI to your skill level. It's what those sliders are there for. ;)

BTW if anyone is interested, check out my experience with the v1.2.1 Assetto Corsa AI during only 30 minutes of gameplay. I think the video speaks for itself...

What are you trying to prove here? You are an ill troller that's it! Everybody knows your nickname already. Try to change it, maybe will help, but not your mind for sure! :D

just look that video on youtube and see who made it!!!!!!!!! AUTHOR-HEXAGRAMME
Nobody ever encountered these problems! There are some comments.... :D what a strange guy.....

I hope moderators on this forums are clever enough to understand what's going on!

I've never ever seen those issues with the A.I.

I've checked his profile on AC forums and his activity there is close to none :)
why didn't he post this on the official forum?
it would be interesting to read what do devs think about it and wether other users have the same issues! :)

Hexagramme, don't make another registration here on RD changing your nikname, it won't help! ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:
OK Hexagramme,
you deserve my BIG SORRY!
but that doesn't change the whole story
we shall see what's going on
checking forums and move on
:-D

we are not so stupid, you are trying to defend yourself with that post on AC forums :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope, check the video comments where I state that it was my intension to upload the video unto the official forum. My reply is an hour old now, so it was made before you started accusing me of being a troll. So that's that.

If I was a mere anti-Kunos troll I would thrive in the fact that Assetto Corsa has bad AI, even after this update, and I would flaunt the issues like there was no tomorrow. But no. My uploading the video unto the official forum, as well as here and other places, could actually have a rather nice "side effect": the AI could be improved in the future. I have paid money for this game, you like you have. I want it to succeed just as much as you do. I want all the sims in my library to be as good as they can possibly be, just like you do.

Keeping my mouth shut about these glaring issues won't do anyone any good. Would you rather that we all blindly praise Kunos and their AI in the state it's in right now? I get the chills just thinking about it.

I've seen throttle control issues too, I think only in the Mercedes C9 and the SC 427, probably it has something to do with the turbo (C9) and the high torque, they need better throttle control.
Also I've seen the unsafe rejoin too.
On the other hand I had about 10 races on spa (15-20 AI) and all AI finished all the races. But in the first lap they slow down in the Eau Rouge I think because there are many of them almost side by side.
That barrier thing never happened to me.

Btw there is sthing annoying about setting up a quick race vs AI.
So if I want to create a _QUICK_ race with for example all the different GT3 cars I can select the different cars but at the start on the grid the similar type of cars are next to each other, so for example the grid looks like this with 16 cars:

1-4. Mercedes
5-8. McLaren
9-12. BMW
13-16. Nissan

This is silly. I want them to get their positions on the grid randomly..
How can I do that?

Since AC 1.2 the AI is much much better than before (of course not perfect), now I have a lot fun to race against AI.
PCars is for me dead, they have the worse AI ever, cutting corners and ramming into other cars is not a fair AI, it is crap Shift AI, nothing else.

Had two races with the AI yesterday at Imola. Full Audi Quattro field.
I don’t know if it’s the car but the AI really had problems holding a "normal" line. Turns 1+2 reminded me of MP with many idiots involved. :D As the race progressed it got slightly better, could be that the AI has problems in narrow and full fields.

See first post: I've added another video showcasing the serious issues of the v1.2.1 AI.
I have looked at your videos and the only problem is your driving and not the AI.
Maybe you are so used to PCars AI that you can't drive anymore?
You hit the AI and blame the AI?
Also if you see there is an AI off road and want to come back on track, why do you crash into the Car of the AI and do not drive around?

I have looked at your videos and the only problem is your driving and not the AI.
Maybe you are so used to PCars AI that you can't drive anymore?
You hit the AI and blame the AI?
Also if you see there is an AI off road and want to come back on track, why do you crash into the Car of the AI and do not drive around?

Don't give me that nonsense, please. I'm a very capable driver. Fast, smooth and not least extremely aware of my surroundings. I hardly ever make contact with AI nor human players.

Very few of the angles in the replays are recorded from my perspective. The vast majority is from the AIs perspective or trackside cams focusing on the AI in question.

The unsafe rejoins are taken from AI cars' perspectives, I was not involved in those incidents. It just showcases that the AI doesn't properly register speed differences, and have no clue how to take avoiding action.

The one where all the cars are stopped on the track in Eau Rouge you obviously see from my perspective, because I'm the only car able to drive around the mess. Then you also see an AI swerve into me coming unto the Kemmel straight, ramming me off the road.

In the second video you see me hit an AI at near full speed on Nordschleife. Why did I hit it? Well because the AI car had driven the entire length of the straight ON the grass, and right when I went to pass him he decided to pull out from the grass into the track, leaving me nowhere to go. Also my view was obscured by the car I was following.

So no... nothing wrong with my driving in this case. Better to ask me than to automatically assume I suck at driving, no? ;)

You can solve all AI issues with any racing game at once. Beware, once you have clicked the spoiler button below there is no more going back!
race online.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 252 15.1%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 169 10.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 167 10.0%
  • < 4 years