R3E: Formula RaceRoom 2 Released

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
fr2.jpg

Sector3 Studios have today made available the first open wheel racing car to be released on their free to play platform, RaceRoom Racing Experience.

Available to purchase via the in game store, a field of 24 identical totally-not-GP2 racing cars each with a unique livery will cost 349RVP. Generating up to 1.7 tonne of downforce at full speed, this is a high downforce car that shares many visual characteristics with the Formula One support series of GP2.

Significant work has been undertaken by the developers of R3E to bring this car to the title, featuring a new driver model as well as animated suspension and a new approach to the driving physics, hopefully providing an entertaining drive for racers of the sim.

As discussed in our recent interview with the guys over at Sector3, the Formula RaceRoom 2 will be the first of several open wheel cars to join the sim in the coming year.

Be sure to check out the RaceDepartment R3E Racing Club in the coming weeks for any opportunities to race this car, or any other of the impressive selection of vehicles in game, with your fellow sim racers.

Below you can find an in game video of these cars racing round Belgian circuit Spa Francorchamps.

Have you tried the new open wheel FR2 in game yet? What are your experiences? Do you intend to purchase this content if you haven't already? Let us know in the comments below!

fr2 2.jpg fr2 3.jpg fr2 4.jpg fr2 5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
it's good to have people like you in trusting them, coz without you they finally would awake from their fantasydreams in fantasyland and realise that this game with it's features and the quality is not worth more then 30-40€.
Without the amazing sounds it would be probably 20-30€.

and the AI is what i expect as standard in any racing game and the other sims such as AC (and maybe Pcars aswell, dunno don't own it) are just faulty. I'm not interested in anything more than AI/Singleplayer racing so i can't judge any mutlitplayer experiences with R3E.

It's not fantasyland, it is a very common thing in this world called market economics. It dictates that something is "worth" what people are willing to pay. Thus, it is a subjective thing. It is not dictated by what YOU think it's value may be. To me for instance, the amount of love and detail that went into the Group 5 and DTM2015 packs for instance make them worth a lot more than 30 EUR each in monetary terms, because it speaks to me. It does not speak to you, but luckily, unlike in fantasyland this is a real world with real ecoonomic freedom, meaning that i can support the product for the price because i would rather have this type of lovingly made content, you may choose not to.

Although out of curiosity, how do YOU calculate "value" in a product like this?

I hope to try this out.

I keep forgetting about Raceroom's feature of being able to test every single car for free - very underrated in my opinion. I'm suprised websites/forums aren't full of hotlap/s competitions with all the cars through the free testing/demo thing.

I completely agree with that quote, ears. No sim is king; most of them have areas of vehicle dynamics & kinematics, both, better and worse than the other.

Although out of curiosity, how do YOU calculate "value" in a product like this?

i compare what i pay for other games, "blockbuster games" if you want to call'em like that, where i pay max. 60€ and have all content.

Love and detail in r3e? every cockpit of AC looks better than any car in R3E. Plus Full Driver Animations, Garage Showcase with full spec details, bunch of setup options, tyre compounds etc.

And if i want to drive a racing-simulation and not a racing-game, r3e would be probably the last "Simulation" i would drive..i think even pcars has more variety and flexibilty in setup options.

But yeah, you are right, the market is dictating the value of a game and if i watch the userbase of r3e vs. AC or pcars and even though it's "free-2-play" the market made a decision....against r3e ;)

i compare what i pay for other games, "blockbuster games" if you want to call'em like that, where i pay max. 60€ and have all content.

Love and detail in r3e? every cockpit of AC looks better than any car in R3E. Plus Full Driver Animations, Garage Showcase with full spec details, bunch of setup options, tyre compounds etc.

And if i want to drive a racing-simulation and not a racing-game, r3e would be probably the last "Simulation" i would drive..i think even pcars has more variety and flexibilty in setup options.

But yeah, you are right, the market is dictating the value of a game and if i watch the userbase of r3e vs. AC or pcars and even though it's "free-2-play" the market made a decision....against r3e ;)
- Just to that compound issue .. DMT has two compounds (reg/opt) like in real life, GT3 series are not allowing different compounds, just dry and wet, same goes for WTCC and TT cup if I`m not mistaken .. so technically it is more realistic than ACs soft, medium, hard tyres :)
- Setup menu is unsufficient (i believe tyre setup is on the way) .. but everything is regulated today (even used screws :) ) so amount of changes in setup R3E allows is not that limited .. basically we are missing slow/fast bump/rebound and tyre pressure

I like AC but it is really not good example for racing simulation :) not that is its bad sim, just not there yet with racing part .. go with rF2 in every case and you are safe ;)

Last edited:
- Just to that compound issue .. DMT has two compounds (reg/opt) like in real life, GT3 series are not allowing different compounds, just dry and wet, same goes for WTCC and TT cup if I`m not mistaken .. so technically it is more realistic than ACs soft, medium, hard tyres :)
- Setup menu is unsufficient (i believe tyre setup is on the way) ..

I like AC but it is really not good example for racing simulation :) .. just go with rF2 in every case and you are safe ;)

your probably right, AC is more a Driving-Simulation but the different tyre-compounds are good if it comes to pitstops & season-mode. DTM/WTCC/TT Cup is nothing which catches my interest this much. But the next thing would be the damage-model, awful in r3e, almost non-exisiting. i could go on and on..... :D

Bought this car pack. Races against the AI are great in it and when you follow another car closely you can feel the downforce come off your car. Handling predictable and a little safe, i would prefer to feel some more movement in the corners but i guess the car does have a lot of aero grip.

Price is good for what is on offer.

your probably right, AC is more a Driving-Simulation but the different tyre-compounds are good if it comes to pitstops & season-mode. DTM/WTCC/TT Cup is nothing which catches my interest this much. But the next thing would be the damage-model, awful in r3e, almost non-exisiting. i could go on and on..... :D
There are so many things seriously missing in both AC and R3E. I just hope that the devs don't just abandon. For example I do wish Sector3 to take a second look at the triple screen support.

By coincidence, I spent half the night on F1 2014, wishing R3E had open wheel cars.
Then, I stumbled on the FR2 cars. :roflmao: Bought a car about 6 or 7 hours ago.

Was SO FUN!
Had a 30 min. race with AI at 110%. Then 105%.
At 110%, these cars (by laptimes) are faster than I can drive. Yet, I still had an AI car BRAKE on the Kemmel straight (Spa) with no one in front of it. So some AI issues carried over.
The T300RS has soooo much stronger ffb than my old DFGT. My force feedback is cranked up and I screwed up my wrist in that collision.
Talk about total immersion :roflmao:

Visually, the rF2 open wheel "classic" cars (was watching youtubes of them) is so appealing, but wow, But I had a blast in the FR2 car.

Buy it (FR2) - them...whatever. You won't regret it.

Last edited:
When someone Starts a discussion with ac and sim in one sentence im out. I have played ac 400hours and ffb is a mess, Sound is a mess. Cars looks like bobby Cars.

Kunos Dev said:
Whoever claims X title is better than Y title without actual access on the software code and proper engineering experience, is simply ignorant and/or too full of himself. Simply as that.

Hmm. Who to believe.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back