Question concerning RF2 Saulnier's skin

Hi all,

I'm doing some skins on the Saulnier, in order to upgrade textures, alpha layers, mostly the wheel and the cockpit view. ( Files are here http://www.racedepartment.com/forum/resources/saulnier-racing-2008-lms-open-source.89/ )

It's easy to add a new car skin (with name_alt), but once I export to .dds the cockpit and Wheel PSD, I dont't know how to proceed. Do I have to compile it ? I tried to creat a folder named LMP1_04_alt with all the dds files in it, but it did not work.

Thanks a lot

Hi all,

I'm doing some skins on the Saulnier, in order to upgrade textures, alpha layers, mostly the wheel and the cockpit view. ( Files are here http://www.racedepartment.com/forum/resources/saulnier-racing-2008-lms-open-source.89/ )

It's easy to add a new car skin (with name_alt), but once I export to .dds the cockpit and Wheel PSD, I dont't know how to proceed. Do I have to compile it ? I tried to creat a folder named LMP1_04_alt with all the dds files in it, but it did not work.

Thanks a lot

Hi Hugo,

the best is to name the DDS files for the wheel and cockpit (and other parts) the same as the original ones and replace the files in the /map folder. Inside 3d max you could reload the materials and they should show up.
For the body skin you can use the _alt option, but for the other updates you could do two things:
1. recompile the whole car and make a rfcmp file, so people can use your work.
2. create an update for the .mas file which replaces only the updated dds files.

I am very curious what you did with the car! :) I hope you will upload it to the resources here at RaceDepartment. :thumbsup:

Reactions: Tom
thanks Tom

the best is to name the DDS files for the wheel and cockpit (and other parts) the same as the original ones and replace the files in the /map folder. Inside 3d max you could reload the materials and they should show up.
For the body skin you can use the _alt option, but for the other updates you could do two things:
1. recompile the whole car and make a rfcmp file, so people can use your work.
2. create an update for the .mas file which replaces only the updated dds files.

I am very curious what you did with the car! :) I hope you will upload it to the resources here at RaceDepartment. :thumbsup:

Thanks for your answer Stefan, I have not used 3Dsmax for a very long time. Do you know how to proceed in order to make a rfcmp file or update the .mas file plz ?

I only did some texturing at the moment ( mostly on the kevlar in the left cockpit - normally there s no kevlar parts here - , added some screws on the wheel like the original wheel, changed buttons textures, added a map at the right side etc...) , and I don't think it s allowed to totally change the car if I want to run the Sebring 12H with a modified car. But I'll try to post everything I make.

So I just wanted to change the textures inside the car with no changes on 3D meshs. I wish I could change the whole cockpit view, but I sadly don't have that sort of skill ^^ Maybe with some help I can make it.

But first I m doing 2 skins : one for my team on the P1, and another with the 2013 concept art OAK racing car . I'll post it here when it's finished.

thanks Tom

Thanks for your answer Stefan, I have not used 3Dsmax for a very long time. Do you know how to proceed in order to make a rfcmp file or update the .mas file plz ?

I only did some texturing at the moment ( mostly on the kevlar in the left cockpit - normally there s no kevlar parts here - , added some screws on the wheel like the original wheel, changed buttons textures, added a map at the right side etc...) , and I don't think it s allowed to totally change the car if I want to run the Sebring 12H with a modified car. But I'll try to post everything I make.

So I just wanted to change the textures inside the car with no changes on 3D meshs. I wish I could change the whole cockpit view, but I sadly don't have that sort of skill ^^ Maybe with some help I can make it.

But first I m doing 2 skins : one for my team on the P1, and another with the 2013 concept art OAK racing car . I'll post it here when it's finished.

Hi Hugo,

you have to make a .mas file using the mas2.exe, which comes with rFactor2.

The .mas file will contain all files which are in the .\map folder. Save the mas file as lmp2.mas.

All files which are in the .\team folder will will be in another .mas file which is called: lamp2_teams.mas

All files in the root of the .\rFactor2\Data\ModDev\vehicles\LMP2 will be another .mas file called : lmp2_main.mas.

Then you need to put these into a .rfcmp with version 1.1 or above and upload it to the RD resource server. :)

I don't have a manual of how to make the rfcmp, but you'll need to use here also the MAS2.EXE tool. Just keep in mind that it al works with .mas files. Keep sound mas files, vehicle mas files etc separated.
Per category vehicle/sound you make a single rfcmp package, and then you make a multiple one.
Sorry I am not the best person to explain how to do it. I should write a manual when I got some time.
I do could help you making it, although I have limited time, especially from of next monday I will be without a windows machine for 3.5 weeks. :p

quix=ckest way to reach me is thru pm. Good luck! :thumbsup:

I tried this morning to edit only textures, and export the in the .mas. It worked perfectly, and it worked on the serv with the mod. Thanks for your help Stefan.( I Just noticed you're the guy who made the mod, big thanks for you )
/!\ the server mod is considered sa corrumpted after installed. Only offline mode is recongnized
Changed :
- Kevlar textures ( HD and thinner ) and darker textures ( mostly for the left side )
- Notes sizes, graphic colours.
- Added some screws

Link :http://rapidshare.com/files/2717040208/Cockpit_wheel_V1.rar

Original files : http://rapidshare.com/files/4100639417/Pescarollo LMP_original files.rar
After
157090GRAB000.jpg

Before
931215cockpitori.jpg

I tried this morning to edit only textures, and export the in the .mas. It worked perfectly, and it worked on the serv with the mod. Thanks for your help Stefan.( I Just noticed you're the guy who made the mod, big thanks for you )

Changed :
- Kevlar textures ( HD and thinner ) and darker textures ( mostly for the left side )
- Notes sizes, graphic colours.
- Added some screws

Link :http://rapidshare.com/files/2717040208/Cockpit_wheel_V1.rar

Original files : http://rapidshare.com/files/4100639417/Pescarollo LMP_original files.rar
After
157090GRAB000.jpg

Before
931215cockpitori.jpg

Awesome job you did there Hugo! :thumbsup:

Could you please enable the downoads? They are disabled, so nobody can download it. You could also decide to upload to upload it to the RaceDepartment server. :)

so basically i need to :

- Replace the files I want either directly on the open source LMP2_V1.1 (I dont think )
or extract all the files from the LMP.Mas, replace them, then repack on a new .mas ( easier way I think )

THen creat a new Saulnier_Racing_2008_LMS.rfcmp ?

I'm installing 3D smax now. It's going to be slow but I thought the easier way to go is :

For the cockpit :

- Take the orginal cockpit " buckhead " or board in order to have the same proportions and shape.
- extrude some polygons in order to have basic volumes ( for the integrated LCD window for example ). The rest will be brighten up with textures )
- Creat some accessory parts like radio box, plug racording box, safety cells ( dunno the english name, the removable object around the driver's head )
- add a windshield

The wheel :

Creat a new one with integrated potentiometers. I don't know how many polygons I should use tho.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back