Public servers (merged thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well,

I know public servers have a bad reputation, but the past few days, I have been racing on 100mbit mini racing a number of times, and each time, was ruined, more badly than an average public server day.

I have noticed the offenders were from a 'Team' called: VDK. To show you guys what I mean, they had about 3 of their VDK guys, on brands hatch indy lined up blocking paddock hill bend, and there were about 16 cars crashing there thanks to them. They also spam the chat thread with child like comments, and spam with quick chat messages in race.

Max-Yvan Liegrace was with me yesterday when they were also racing and wrecking.

What I cannot understand, is that why a 'Team' dedicate themselves to soley wrecking everyone else's race. Normally, its just one or 2 individuals, but a whole team doing that? It just beggars beleif!

I am so angry after the incident a few mintues ago, that I came here to write this up, to warn you of these VDK 'children' if you ever race on public servers with these guys, I recommend leaving if they are on, as I will be doing that in the future. Persistent wreckers on there every day just totally and utterly kills the game, even more than the odd person who wrecks one or 2 poor souls.

VDK Wreckers:
VDK Pika
VDK Stoffel

I pray that these 2 in particular never bother any of you.

Regards

PS Sorry for my outburts, but this has happened too many times, and normally I put things like this aside, but this has persistently gone on, and therefore, I thought I should at least warn you gentleman, should you wish to race on a public server again in the near future.

Great BIG thank you all and special good karma to Matt P :chuck: who gave me his setup off Brand Hatch Indy and that was a GREAT help for me. Adjusted my own setups from what i learned and made PB on every track after that! :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

No worries glad to have helped :) I know how hard it is to get a setup right! But yes was very funny when VDK stoffel came in!

Anyone up for it again tonight?

Yes Matt - thankyou for the setup - I personally dropped the rear anti roll by one and put the front up by one in the end as well as dropping the brakes but I really appreciated your setup so thanks again. Can't do tonight really, have my little girl tonight and if I race without headphones I wake her up, with headphones I can't hear her if she needs me.... no sound and I crash even more than I do already!

Yes Matt - thankyou for the setup - I personally dropped the rear anti roll by one and put the front up by one in the end as well as dropping the brakes but I really appreciated your setup so thanks again. Can't do tonight really, have my little girl tonight and if I race without headphones I wake her up, with headphones I can't hear her if she needs me.... no sound and I crash even more than I do already!

No worries, and have a nice time with your little girl :) But i do agree with you however.

My reason is because we weren't 'preaching' RD we were simply recommending RD, because people saw how clean and polite we were which simply shows how we behave at RD.

• Oli Bellamy

I've seen a substantial amount of the VDK members online before, however oddly enough have never witnessed them first hand being trouble makers to the extremes of forming a block. Whichever rooms they're in they always spam the chat topic with quick chats like "THX GOING FOR CRASHING ME" over and over, but thats as far as I've seen it. Thanks for the heads up, the better recognition of bad drivers, the more likely they are to be voted out.

Don't worry Dave, we are not invading a Competitors server as Netikka is an ISP from Finland and they have a number of public servers that don't belong to any forum/website/team. They offer a wide range of servers like CS1.6, GTL, rFactor, LiveForSpeed and so on. They have provided game servers for years for free, which is strange as ISP:s are usually greedy b#¤tards :clap:.

I can dig for more info as i'm myself from Finland and have not the languagebarrier but at the moment that is totally free server to use as we see fit...

I'll definitely come tonight, what time about should we gather?

Does anyone think there might be a possibility of RD getting a (bad) reputation as a "flash mob" sort of outfit if this sort of thing occurs regularly and the all people doing the mobbing are all talking about / recommending RD?

Wouldn't that appear like we're organising events amongst ourselves but we're parasiting other people's servers?

That is a good question.. But i think that these invasions don't happen very often. Right now we are just excited that we can change the behaviour in publics but better tactic really is just to do these couple of times and then leave them alone.. I think then people really see the differnce and start to drive like a gentlemen and kick the wreckers by them selves.. maybe..

But yes i'm same with you, we should not take over a public server.

Just some times to show what simracing really is about.

I still wanna know if its imposters or Alains kids being kids - but having looked at the link above and found Stoffel and Kenny's picture, in which they were wearing CRG Kart Racing Overalls I then looked aroung and found this - check out the Veraasdonk Factory email and phone number:

Like I said THIS MAY NOT BE THE PEOPLE - it COULD be someone using their names, although its looking less likely the more this thread goes on... Select Europe then Belgium as the location..

http://www.kartcrg.com/ingl/home_ingl.htm

Understood, Matt.

You could see how it might be interpreted if it happened regularly, and the same answer came out every time someone was asked it, though?

Otherwise responding "RD" could quite easily become a detrimental thing, if RD gets a reputation for filling up public servers.

It's just something I'd consider if it's more than a spontaneous, once in a blue moon type of thing.

Mate - I'm not giving anyone instructions, orders or permissions. It's not for me to say what you do and don't do.

People above (including you) are saying this could be beneficial to RD in the long run. Quite possibly true.

I'm just saying that if handled incorrectly, I can see it doing the exact opposite. That's all.

I think that is a proper way of doing this. And people will notice that there are some who use their real name in the game and notice that these are the guys who race properly. Not all the time fastest ( thats me )but anywhere in the field promoting good game behaviour. Occasional RD promotion is not avoided as we will chat about upcoming events eventually sometimes and it will create a buzz about RD in a good way.

I think we have the same opinions and guidelines after all..

• daRock

A really scary observation of a wrecker just yesterday............

Was at Monza and there was a fast wrecker in the race. I had noticed the way he was punting cars in practice and qual so I looked to see where he was on the grid. He was up front.

At the start he didn't get off the line worth spit. I think that was on purpose. He blew up the pack at T1, which was on purpose. He simply drove into the mob. No braking at all. He went into the mele with his victims and I figured that would be the last I'd see of him.

I came through into 3rd but wasn't near as fast as the top two and 4th passed me into the last chicane. I noticed then that I had something like 8 seconds on whomever was behind then. It was him. And he had made up that 8 seconds at that chicane the next lap. Awesome driving or cheating. So I've watched the replay.

The guy cut at least one corner of the first two chicanes every lap. And timing his acceleration showed he was running a cheated motor.

What he didn't cheat on, I couldn't say. It looked like he had cheated everything most know about and then some.

He also punted about half the people he passed, and he passed everyone who happened to be ahead of him. And he slowed once to let the previous leader by. I guess so he could punt him again. With his engine cheat and corner cutting he could do damn near anything he wanted. I'd really like to know how he could get away with the cutting. That doesn't seem possible. It seems that would all be done in the server.

After each punt, he chatted some crap about being sorry and warp.

It never stops, but in previous versions it's tapered off after the scum gets bored. But in the last month it's just gone to crap. This last couple of days it's been insane what I've been unlucky enough to stumble into.

All I would say on the matter is RESPECT that any server you visit may have strict rules about recruting or advertising - and if you are seen to be recruting or advertising you may, quite rightly, get a ban.

Remember a Public Server Invasion (PSI) - sounds exciting and it is, but we are using someone else's server - We have to respect that they may have their own forum and/or racing club, and that we may well be asked to leave so their members can join, which if requested to do so we should. This is why to PSI in a totally annonmyous way might be a bad idea.

I think its a positive comment by Stuart to suggest that RD could get a reputation, and I think if we do PSI more often it can only help to keep in mind how our actions might look to others out there. I would say that from what I saw last night the only fear admins should really have is the extra work from all new people coming to RD because they see what they saw last night and want a piece of it.

Trust me keep this one rolling and it can benefit the Community as a whole - but please lets not tie up the same server too often, its not fair and to really help the community and RD it needs to be multiple servers and car classes.

On a final note - you've seen the PSI (Public Server Invasion) - next idea - The RD Sheriff's Posse - just like John Wanye in the old black n white movies hunting the baddies by sending out a posse - we send a posse out hunting the Wreckers of this World!!

No I don't mean we all get our horses and guns out and ride out to The Verassdonks in Belgium! but we could get together and drop into multiple servers looking for known wreckers - when one of us finds them we call all of our mates in and politely go about shutting the wrecker down - last night it worked with one of the VDK's to the extent that he just got on and raced cleanly - it just went to show that we can mke a difference without having to lower ourselves to using their tactics to get our point across.

Above all else remember, because we are RD members, our actions will reflect upon RD, lets make that a good reflection of RD at all times please.

If the reputation we, as a community, get is that of a group who regularly and often go onto the same servers and end up preventing the regulars from driving there, no matter how well intentioned the actions of the RD based group, then No, that's not a positive.

Done well, then it may end up being a positive thing, but elegance of concept is everything. If it's handled wrong it could well backfire spectacularly. Something about the road to hell being paved by good intentions and all that.

I can see both sides to the whole thing, and I was just trying to point out the potential minuses as I saw them. No more, no less.

As a side issue, and speaking purely for myself, I'm personally not entirely comfortable with the premeditated nature of the invasion, and the whole posse concept. But that is purely my outlook and opinion which counts for less than 1% of Not Very Much, in the greater scheme of things.

And you just managed to change it from Simon to Stuart in time. You've got to love Live Update.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

What would be the ideal raceday for you to join our Club Races?

• Monday

Votes: 32 16.3%
  • Tuesday

Votes: 26 13.3%
  • Wednesday

Votes: 28 14.3%
  • Thursday

Votes: 27 13.8%
  • Friday

Votes: 69 35.2%
  • Saturday

Votes: 110 56.1%