PC2 Project CARS 2 Released on Xbox One, PS4 and PC

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Project CARS 2.jpg

Highly anticipated racing simulation Project CARS 2 has been released today, marking the return of the best selling franchise to both console and PC systems.

Developed by Slightly Mad Studios and community backers from the world of sim racing, using the experience of professional race drivers the likes of former Top Gear Stig Ben Collins and sometime Renault Clio racer Nicolas Hamilton, Project CARS 2 looks set to be the most ambitious racing project yet from the British based development team.

Featuring over 180 cars and 60 locations on launch and benefitting from live track technology, advanced weather effects and class leading graphics, Project CARS 2 looks very likely to become yet another best selling release across all platforms following release today.

Unfortunately we have not been able to get access to an advanced copy of the game prior to launch, however in constant quest to bring you all the news and opinion from sim racing (haha, well actually because I cant resist a racing game) I will be purchasing testing this thing thoroughly tonight, with a view to writing up an article over the weekend with my first impressions.

About the Game
  • 180+ licensed cars from iconic manufacturers
  • Full 12K & VR Support
  • Tested and tuned by pro racing drivers
  • All-new motorsports (IndyCar, Oval Racing, Rallycross) join old favorites incl. GT3
  • LiveTrack 3.0: Dynamic surface & weather physics affect vehicle performance and handling in real-time
  • New loose surface racing (ice, dirt, mud)
  • Full 24-hour cycle featuring real-time atmospheric conditions and seasonal ambience
  • State-of-the art physics model
  • Revamped gamepad handling
  • Class-leading Esport capabilities

Project CARS 2 is available now for Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC.

Project CARS 2 - 2.jpg
Project CARS 2 - 3.jpg
Project CARS 2 - 4.jpg

Check out the Project CARS 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment to catch up with the latest news, engage in lively discussions with the community, download some mods and get yourself out on the track in online races for both PC and console.

Well it's here! What do you think? Win, Lose or Draw? Improvement over PC1? Serious rival for the main PC racers? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
Probably few people are going to kill me for that I am willing to write down.

But god damn it, for me: the Project Cars 2 is a great compromise and mix between rFactor 2 and Assetto Corsa.

I had rF2 for 2 hours and got refund due just technical issues, butAC which is great and has the superb tire model, is a main simracing game on my PC.

Of course AC is great, but it lacks the 24h mode, PC2 has all in one.

You can do WEC, VLN, ELMS, IndyCar or Rally Cross races.
The main thing is that it has all major GTE/GT3, LMP1, LMP2 cars. With the 24 hour mode, you can imitate all major WEC/ELMS/Blankplain races... Is any other game which has it? At the start? I doubt. Even if iRacing has it, you need almost 1000$ to have all needed cars, but in pCars for 59,99 you have it right away on start.

If there comes a DLC with Audi R18 2016, Toyota TS040 2016 and Porsche 919 Hybrid 2016, I'll buy it without hesitation.

Of course game has some issues. Technical issues but which new game has everything working? There will be always few bugs at start which were not found in beta testing.

For me the game has almost everything, and without assists is challenging same as AC or RF2, or even R3E or iRacing, of which free versions I tested in the past.

Last edited:
My main sims are rF2, AC, Automobilista and R3E. I've spent over a thousand hours on them. My rig is a g27, core i5 4690k, 16gb ram and a gtx 1080. Triple screens. Five hours into PC2, my main gripe is with the AI, as it's sub-par for now. A few of the cars' physics are not polished either (older F1 cars, for instance). Most of the cars are great, FFB and physics, even rivaling the other sims in many ways. It's not arcade or "NFS Shift"-like as some are claiming, but a sim. I still prefer Rf2's and AC's physics overall, but PC2 is not lagging so far behind. The weather and live track greatly add to immersion. Colors and ambiance are improved from PC1, but there's some inconsistency between new and older tracks (from the early days of PC1, like Historic Spa). With some extra polish and patches, this title is a keeper alongside the other ones, for sure.

I'm of the old school form your own opinion brought up kind of guy. Personally for me I have only had a couple of hours on Pcars2, but really like what I see so far. Most of the short comings of Pcars1 have been addressed. They now provide both a loose and stable setup for each car so you can just load and drive to check out a car and track. You can store multiple setups. There is proper support for triple screens. The tire model is outstanding, haven't driven every car and track but I like the physics of the ones I have tried. The curb effects are much better. There is every type of weather effect for a great diversion to the same old racing. The controller setup is very good, and easy to get up and running. Pcars2 supports multiple controllers right out of the gate. There is an online driver rating system that can improve that experience as well. The sheer amount of content is going to take forever to fully appreciate.(sorry that's not a complaint either). It has not crashed on me a single time so far either. A huge improvement from the previous version.

Having raced real cars on real tracks for over 20 years, I'm a guy who strives to lead a race and not follow other cars around if I can help it, even though that's not always the case. I feel the same about life too, if all you want to do is follow someone or their opinion on something without finding out the facts and making your own informed opinion, thank you for not purchasing Pcars2. Those of us enjoying it would like to express our sincere appreciation of enhancing our Pcars2 experience by not seeing any of you in game or muddling up the servers. Please keep your money, it's not going in my pocket anyways so why would I care? If your sim is so awesome, why aren't you playing it instead of spending your time babbling on about something you apparently have no interest in? Thank you for not bringing your immaturity into the online servers, or becoming a moving pylon that has to be constantly passed lap after lap, with no regard for others enjoyment.

I see no reason to read superfluous posts from people that have never tried it, yet continue to make me skip over their repetitive posts of "this is my opinion based on the opinion of what Joe Blow said about the game" or "I'll buy you a beer for saving my time trying it" that might be less irrelevant if you were actually old enough to drink beer or buy one, but still has no relevance to the game. Now if you actually bought Pcars2, gave it an honest go, and don't like it that's cool, you put some skin in the game and formed your own opinion just like I have, and many others, and I sincerely hope you find enjoyment in something else. I am always happy to read the fact based opinions and comments of other racers both negative and positive. Often I find these both informative and enlightening, such as technical issues or personal experiences with something. But opinions are like A$$H**es, everybody has one and it's just that. Opinions, especially uninformed ones, can and often change but the facts remain constant. Please form you own and don't spend your life kissing up to someone else's "opinion", you may find you can finally smell the flowers yourself.

Last edited:
I'd like to post an honest opinion about the game but it crashes as soon as I start driving...
Tested every possible solution but still not working. Maybe my system is trying to preserve me from a huge disappointment :roflmao:

• Deleted member 99238

I still bought this game today in a Platinum Edition for VIP for $ 580 in a metal box with the model Bugatti Vision Gran Turismo 2016.
Wait for my review ... soon ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol
My favorite comments thus far....asides from the rambling old man Ben Collins who is still asking if its good or not after 10 pages of comments...we get it you dont like SMS ;)
is from those that have stated after less than 2hrs of testing its crap, ai sucks, sound meh, physics etc...hit the refund button and end there rant with i am going back to AC

Your cleary new to AC or have short term memory loss and forgot how that title was at release?
Its a great game but its also has been out for a few yrs now and has had tons of features added, patches and multiple tire model updates.
Same goes for all the other sims.
Give it time and hopefully they will sort out the issues. Just like every other title iam sure it will mature with each update.

Cheers

I don't support that mentality either hence why i have 600 hours on PCars 1 on xbox and own every current sim aside from PCars 2 as i wont be able to give it the time as i am balls deep into an RF2 and RRE obsession...
I honestly think on PC there are better examples and whilst RF2 is available (cost me £11.99) i dont see the point in PCars 2...

Yeah I like RF2 but just lack the time to get fully "into" it 100%. Maybe once the gfx and UI (god I hate that UI) are updated as promised I'll give it the time it deserves. Although the car and track roster is crap awful IMO compared to PC1+2 and AC. It's all a bit too....American.

Also got ADAC '13 and DTM '13 seasons on going in RRE.....not to mention the Ferrari Anniversary pack in AC just not enough time. :(

People do need to draw the line and play what they prefer, I just can't stand the incessant whinging and moaning some people do, it serves no purpose.

Your cleary new to AC or have short term memory loss and forgot how that title was at release? Its a great game but its also has been out for a few yrs now and has had tons of features added said:
Your right about AC, and as anyone who bought rFactor2, or Raceroom at launch, can tell you, they were in even worse shape. Fortunately for those of us who bought them at launch, they have come good in the end. Rfactor2 took several years to fix the broken mess it was at launch. I bought Pcars2 when it released, and have spent quite a few hours with it now, and it seems to me to be in the best shape at launch of the four of them. We will see what happens over the next year or so with patches, and DLC.

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 174 66.9%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 114 43.8%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 121 46.5%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 45 17.3%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 71 27.3%
Back