Post some ugly aerodynamic designs.

I read somewhere that we'll see more of these designs, they wan't the nose to be as high as new regulations dictate.. I simply can't understand why you would raise anything other than the rear wing but then again, i'm not employed by an F1 team. But the benefits of high nose is definitely more than the troubles you get by introducing such a square shape in a hyper-streamlined car.. I'm afraid that the 2012 F1 will be ugly season.. But, honestly, :):):D ! I've always loved the odd seasons where the cars look like they are designed to go fast, not look good.. FIA will find away to ban them anyway at some point when the idea is taken beyond ugly to what-the-hell-is-that-...-RUN-it's-alive! Like the 6-wheeler.. Or those ridiculous mid-wings or 2 meter high rearwings... or putting a goddamned fan in the car.. etc.. It shows that some people seriously have a good imagination.

The reason for the lower noses is safety reasons. Nose has to be lower then the highest point of the monocoque around the driver so no driver gets their head chopped off.

Schumacher was very lucky in 2010 at Abu Dhabi.

Yeah, they were getting too high. I hoped that they would bring them back to front wing level.. You can see the box shape change where front ends and driver space begins, by a box i mean the imaginary box that the car has to to fit in.. Wonder if they have such a box in real life... Manufacture a box that has the regulation sizes, make that as a shipping container that all teams must use and bin the aero regulations..

The reason for the lower noses is safety reasons. Nose has to be lower then the highest point of the monocoque around the driver so no driver gets their head chopped off.

Schumacher was very lucky in 2010 at Abu Dhabi.
How would the new nose help with that? Schumacher almost got scalped by the wing, which has the same height no matter how high or low the nose is. As a matter of fact, in that kind of accident, wouldn't the new kind of nose be even more dangerous because if it is lower, it'll be closer to the driver's head?
I thought the new nose type was to prevent the Mark Webber Valencia kind of accident. Something about a lower nose getting sucked under the tyre of the car in front whereas a higher nose would get raised above it, thus causing the backflip... Not 100% sure about this anymore though, might be that I'm mixing it up with the 2014 regulations.

It's the possiblity of car raising above the other, the higher it is, easier it is to climb on top of each other. That's how i interpreted the rule change. But i was thinking of way lower when i read them, that change is just too minute for that effect. Allthou, the lower it would get we would get propably wider noses, like in Brawn09, it was a strange car with it's low wide nose when everybody else had them high already.

Just an example, doesn't belong to this thread.. I'll put it to the opposite thread too, i liked that car too ;)
brawngp_f1car.jpg

NOT UGLY !!!

How would the new nose help with that? Schumacher almost got scalped by the wing, which has the same height no matter how high or low the nose is. As a matter of fact, in that kind of accident, wouldn't the new kind of nose be even more dangerous because if it is lower, it'll be closer to the driver's head?
I thought the new nose type was to prevent the Mark Webber Valencia kind of accident. Something about a lower nose getting sucked under the tyre of the car in front whereas a higher nose would get raised above it, thus causing the backflip... Not 100% sure about this anymore though, might be that I'm mixing it up with the 2014 regulations.

The tip of the nose will hit the side of the cockpit instead of possibly hitting the driver in the head and literally taking his head off.
The lower the nose is the safer it will be.

The Mark Webber incident was what sparked the 2014 regulations since the nose can´t be higher then the vertical center of the wheel nut thus making it very hard for a car´s tire to throw a car up into the air.
as the nose will be under the "curve" of the tire.

Something that is still very much possible with the 2012 regulations as we can see by the Gator-nose of the Lotus.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back