Post Pictures Thread (part 4)

Lada Granta :sneaky:
screenshot043.jpg
screenshot042.jpg
screenshot041.jpg

Great to see my tracks being used for screenshots ! :)

Now, I have succeeded in extracting AC cars & all the stuff needed for Racer. :D
What's amazing is, it's almost like Racer ini files, where everything can be fine tuned.

Probably, new content will be generated soon...

___Much Love___

Last edited by a moderator:
Not really Racer, but playing with capturing imagery for photogrammetry purposes so I can build real locations more accurately!

20cams.JPG
20cams_closer.JPG

These are just low density clouds for general use, but the high density ones for the road surface mean I can get a nice accurate surface, conform polygons to it, and also copy the colour data from the point cloud to a texture lookup, or even normal data for really great looking surfaces with a low poly count.
Then combine with the asphalt shader to add the grain, and et voila, a pretty close copy of a real road!

I'm slowly testing to figure out the best processes. The next step is to do 2km of road and see how much it drifts/distorts by, but so far it appears small with very basic tests.
Eventually the goal is to figure out the best camera height/angles/intervals of shots and so on, so I can just build a rig and fix it to a vehicle and drive many km and get good results right away.

So far for the road topography itself, it's easily capturing the camber and crown of the road. The point cloud 'noise' band that makes the surface is about 10-20mm deep maximum, so it's even picking up pot holes and other lumps/bumps really nicely too.

For a 50cm grid road surface you're easily getting a very close representation of the real surface.

Throw in a normal map taking the higher density data from the cloud, and the look of the road would be near perfect to reality too!

Not so great for race courses as you'd need open access for a day, but for roads it's pretty cool as you just drive along them :D

Fingers crossed for some more sunny days so I can go capture more. I'll be sure to post the test results as they come in!

Dave

Well I did a larger test today.
800m.PNG

800m worth of road.

Also a video showing the overall flow, which looks spot on to me, and also the cross-section of the road surface. The surface is about +/- 4cm in noise, but assuming you average the sampling the surface will be pretty good from this source I think.
At least macro details will be captured like camber and crown without problems... but details within that noise range (4cm or smaller vertical details) might disappear somewhat.

I can't tell how bad any long range slight distortions might be at this point, but overlaid on an aerial image I managed to get things looking as close as you could tell using a fairly low res aerial image as reference. Torsion and yaw and other potential drifts seem perfectly controlled.

Over a longer route you'd probably get a really good GPS fix at a few known locations, create them in your 3D app, and then make sure things align to those known points when orientating your cloud.

My only issues really at this stage are trees which are low, and also the dynamic range of lighting. At the end you can see it goes a bit bright due to exposure changing. A fixed exposure is probably needed but the risk is dark areas under trees may lose detail and so accuracy. Hmmm.

Using auto-exposure fixes that, but then point tracking may become difficult if the images get a strobe effect occuring. More testing required in these under-tree situations.

I think the next test will be a vehicle test over 1km.

I'm very slightly tempted by the idea of another camera so they're a stereo pair about 2m apart... it might get details even sharper!

Cheers

Dave

:) Good luck Dave on the classification & all the LIDAR stuff needed to extract & make it work / right for Racer. I know, it won't be that easy as I've been testing it myself, some 3 / 4 years ago when I was interested in high tech satelitte / LIDAR tech.

Some of the best recent screenshots...
Enjoy Racer-Max Unique Racing Tracks !

Avernaz_02_zps44hucuwm.jpg

Atzara_01_zpsufpz5drd.jpg

Lil_Lake_01_zpsymj2b73v.jpg

********************************************************************​
<mod edit: soliciting not allowed>
********************************************************************​

Signature_Racer-Max_zpsedjphwpd.jpg

<mod edit: soliciting not allowed>​

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest News