Popular Content

I've been thinking about iRacing, but have some questions about the content. Does all the content / series have enough people playing to justify it? Or is certain content a lot more popular than others? Is there a site showing which cars, tracks, and series are most popular?

I'd hate to take the membership plunge and purchase content not many people are playing.

The lower the class the better, and the shorter the races the better.

So Skippy in D class is popular (always splits even on non popular time slots)
Formula Renault 2.0 in C class (less popular but still one of highest attended series) (Pro mazda as an alternative although its possible the new car will replace it as in real life a few years ago)
Porsche Cup in C class for same reason (just a tintop alternative)
And ofc GT3 in B class is always popular.

Skippy has the added benefit of being every hour timeslots and 6 out of 12 tracks on the season (4 seasons of 12 weeks/tracks per year) are always free.

Absolutely no idea :D

I have done one oval race ever. And dirt being all oval at the moment means I have never touched it in an official race and therefore have no idea of participation. Sorry :)

Thanks for the response. How's the dirt content holding up? If I start playing iRacing, I'd like to lean towards to the dirt stuff (favorite part of rFactor 1).

I did a quick check of Dirt participation. The Dirt Sprintcar with the wing is very popular and usually has several splits during US evenings. The Dirt late model is a little less popular, not as many splits, but still plenty of official races. The Dirt Street Stock is somewhat popular probably helped by the fact it is a free car. The Dirt Sprintcar without wing is not very popular at all.

Well i purchased the skippy, last night i purchased the Porsche 911 and Donington Park as its a local track to me, my plan is to get to Class A so whatever it costs to do that but also i want the UK tracks and i'm happy to purchase those.
The future I just see me doing Skippy and Mazda MX 5 races and maybe some 911 stuff and also keep dipping my toe into dirt oval as that's ace fun.
Biggest grip so far is the added VAT on all purchases :-(.

I'm nearly one month into my 3 month discounted membership and so far paid about £60 extra to get to Class B. So i figure my total spend will b about £100 then i'll be at Class A then simply keep on with membership and race the cars and tracks i have at that point.

I can compartmentalize my iRacing purchases as I've stopped doing track days or having any dreams of racing real cars, so it's mega cheap compared to that....BUT, i don't actually own anything in iRacing, so i am very wary of having £700 invested into something i don't actually own.

Just work out what you want from it, for me I just want a class A licence and ability to have races with real people in a good structured manner.
I also want the UK tracks to blast around on.

If you are in it for the complete seasons it'll get expensive very quickly.

So for me i set a cap like i said, £100 to get to Class A but that includes having some UK tracks i want so i think you could do Class A in 3 months without spending more than £50.

Well i purchased the skippy, last night i purchased the Porsche 911 and Donington Park as its a local track to me, my plan is to get to Class A so whatever it costs to do that but also i want the UK tracks and i'm happy to purchase those.
The future I just see me doing Skippy and Mazda MX 5 races and maybe some 911 stuff and also keep dipping my toe into dirt oval as that's ace fun.
Biggest grip so far is the added VAT on all purchases :-(.

I'm nearly one month into my 3 month discounted membership and so far paid about £60 extra to get to Class B. So i figure my total spend will b about £100 then i'll be at Class A then simply keep on with membership and race the cars and tracks i have at that point.

I can compartmentalize my iRacing purchases as I've stopped doing track days or having any dreams of racing real cars, so it's mega cheap compared to that....BUT, i don't actually own anything in iRacing, so i am very wary of having £700 invested into something i don't actually own.

Just work out what you want from it, for me I just want a class A licence and ability to have races with real people in a good structured manner.
I also want the UK tracks to blast around on.

If you are in it for the complete seasons it'll get expensive very quickly.

So for me i set a cap like i said, £100 to get to Class A but that includes having some UK tracks i want so i think you could do Class A in 3 months without spending more than £50.
If you are doing road (which it sounds like you are) there is no need to get A tbh. The only series is the F1 and its a ghost town most of the time and when there is enough people the skill gap is way too big for it to be even half as good as D class and C class racing in very close fields.

I say this to a few people but don't aim for a specific class or xxx amount of irating. Just play the game. The ELO system is just there to put you in a good race. I know you may not be one of those people but some take the four digit number too seriously :D

True, i supose class A just seems like a goal. Christ maybe its all those years of 'gaming', i am sort of treating class A as the 'game'.
But yes I wanted to get A then simply back track to the other series, it seemed, to me at least, pointless racing in classes that give me no way of progressing up to the next class. But i am class B now and i can see stuff gets less and less the more you progress.....
I'll be honest i expected more from iRacing official race wise.
I'll most likely take a side step now and stick with the skippy and Mazda mx5 stuff and just add tracks i want rather than need to have. I just had the most boring race in the world around Le Mans in the MX 5, yes Le Mans was modeled great but cant see me using it much again...

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back