Poll: Who do You Rate as the Greatest World Champion of All Time?

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
F1 Champions.jpg

With the most recent World Champion having decided to hang up his helmet at the end of his championship season, and former World Champion Jenson Button sitting out the new year in his role as McLaren Ambassador, we thought it was a good time to ask you guys who you think was the ultimate World Champion since Grand Prix racing became a thing all the way back in 1950.

The goal of every young racing driver is no doubt to become a Formula One World Champion in their careers, but due to the difficult nature of the sport very few drivers have the opportunity to achieve that ambition. Those that do can rightly hold their head up high as one of the elite drivers of their generation. Securing a World Championship at Formula One level is the ultimate achievement, the pinnacle of an athlete’s career and a feeling that is no doubt unsurpassed in the sporting world.

As the years have brought different and unique challenges to the drivers competing in Formula One competition, so the skill sets of those drivers have had to adapt. The very first World Champion Giuseppe Farina will have had to deal with the ever present threat of serious injury piloted his Alfa Romeo around often ridiculously dangerous venues in exotic locations around the world, against a backdrop of cavalier attitudes to safety of both drivers and spectators alike, utilizing just his brute strength and force of will to weave his reluctant machine around the tracks of the period.

Compare this the environment faced just 33 years later by the tough Brazilian Nelson Piquet in his turbo Brabham BMW Grand Prix car, dealing with brutal horsepower delivered to his wide Goodyear slick tyres as the drivers of the era dealt with monumental power outputs, long turbo lag delays and undercarriage 'ground effect' cars that literally glued the car to the circuit to help achieve never before seen speeds in corners of circuits still deemed spectacularly unsafe by the standards of today. Couple this together with new frontiers of technology being pushed further forward with each passing race, occasionally to disastrous failures, and the arenas in which Piquet and Farina fought are very different, but equally difficult in different ways.

Fast forward another 30 years and we now have what in effect are incredibly high tech, super precise and ultra-developed technical marvels that race each other up to 21 teams through the course of a year. Modern Formula One reaches out further around the world than it ever has, runs for longer than in the history of the sport and is the most professionally organized in its history of competition. Whereas Farina and to a lesser extent Piquet raced for themselves and their small team of enthusiastic engineers, today's drivers have to shoulder the burden of literally hundreds of millions of dollars investment and teams containing sometime 300 - 400 staff all working towards producing two cars on track for 21 races a year. With such colossal financial investment, and telemetry and TV coverage meaning a driver now has nowhere to hide on track or from his teammate, the challenge of modern day Grand Prix racing has evolved considerably from those early tentative years.

The question is, in your opinion dear reader, which driver do you think overcame the hurdles of his era in the most impressive way, to be crowned your ultimate champion of champions?

Does the pioneering bravery and sheer talent of a Fangio or Ascari outweigh the deftness of touch possessed by someone like Jim Clark, or does the sheer determination, drive and hunger of an Aryton Senna overcome the respect and skills displayed by Jacques Villeneuve to secure his title in just his second season of Grand Prix racing? Does the mechanically brilliant skills of Michael Schumacher mean more than Sebastian Vettel's four World Championships, and where does Lewis Hamilton rank amongst the all-time greats?

It will be an interesting read to find out what you all think. I'll leave it open a couple of weeks or so and post the results towards the end of January.

Think hard and vote wise!

f1 1950.jpg
F1 1960.jpg
F1 1970.jpg
F1 1980.jpg
F1 1990.jpg
F1 2000.jpg
F1 2010.jpg
F1 2016.jpg

If you have a burning desire to keep abreast of the latest Formula One news and chat while we await the season to gear up in earnest, get yourself over to the Formula One sub forum and join in the chat with your fellow F1 fans.

Who did you vote for and why? Do you think anyone who didn't secure a World Championship should be crowned the ultimate Grand Prix champion? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
I've gone for Senna, but it was a close call between him, Fangio and Clark however :)

I've picked Senna because of the almost instant impression he made on F1, his victory against some superb rivals and his sheer mastery of a car on the very edge of control.

Really really hard choice though.

I pick Flying Scot .. was about to choose Fangio but for Stewarts investment in bringing safety to this sport I pick him. He also seems to be cool dude ...

Schumi for me, but a very close second to Jack Brabham, far as I know still the only driver to win the DC with his own car/team.

Prost ... with Senna second. Stewart recently said that Prost was the best he ever saw.

Gilles Villeneuve was probably the most daring. His passes were amazing. If he had more time, he would be higher on the list.

Moss is the greatest that never won a championship.

Last edited:
Finally, I've been waiting for such a discussion like this for a long time. Great idea @Paul Jeffrey :thumbsup:

For me it has to be Piquet, Prost or Senna. Look at the era that these guys drove in, cars that were very difficult to handle and also such a tough and competitive field. The 1986 season had 3 different drivers including Nigel Mansell who fought for the championship. Also not to forget Senna in the Lotus, Keke Rosberg and even Elio de Angelis and Gerhard Berger in that period.

Fangio, Clark, Senna, Schumacher, Lauda, Stewart... So many great names and only one vote?
With heavy heart - Jim Clark.
Why? Because he was a demi-God behind the wheel, like Beltoise said.

Ι was between Stewart and Lauda. Stewart did so much for the sport even when he retired. But my vote goes to Niki, only because of his courage to come back after 1976 and with so much success.

Very hard to compare the champions, too much technological gap between cars!
Or then by slice of 5 years

I vote Shumi but, fight Prost/Senna Ultimate F1 :)

Last edited:
My favorite historical drivers are Lauda and Clark, Two awesome drivers but also very grounded outside the car. And both had good sportsmanship.

Also John Surtees i feel gets overlooked... He is the only person to win the F1 championship and be a "Moto GP" world champion. No one will ever do that again.

I've gone for Fangio. No fancy electronic gimmicks in the cars he has driven. Just pure Power. I don't think the *modern drivers* could race those cars like he did. ;)
I respectfully, disagree. I think in Fangios day, the majority of the grid were just amateur playboys. In the modern day the majority of the field are there on merit. The cars were more difficult to drive generally in Fangios day, but driving at the limit is the same, the only difference being, in the modern age being good at driving at the limit is what gets you success, in those days all you needed was the balls to do it, as not many did.

It is very hard to pick a driver as the cars performance has been the starting point for a championship since F1 started. Whether it was reliability or pace (or a combination of both in today's F1), if a very good driver didn't have the right weapon they never had the chance to fight for it all if their equipment wasn't up to standards.

Also, I might get bashed for saying this:D: I don't think any of the historic drivers are better because they handled "more difficult" cars. Even though the cars were less predictable overall driving a F1 car at the limit is never easy, if anyone tries driving fast the SF-15T or F138 in AC while doing all the management that comes along with these cars, you will get my point: F1 cars are hard to drive. Any of those drivers would do well on any era.

Also I'm not even considering the amount of work into physical preparation and media/press managing skills today's drivers must have.

That being said I would call a close draw between Alonso, Lauda and Senna (Clark I don't know that much to affirm him on the aspect). They all were protagonists through different eras and driving on teams with various levels of performsnces.

My final call would be Alonso, as he could perform well through 4 (maybe 5) different eras of F1, and that for me is what separates him from the others.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back