Plugin Crewchief

My fault,i went through the HQ cmd settings dialogue making sure Steam exe was used and enabled all Crew Chief dialogues.

I made a few adjustments in the CC ini also located in the GTR2 root plugins folder.

Working lovely with my two installs of GTR2HQ and PnG3.2 HQ patch enabled.

Also have dxvk working for both installs.

I made sure to disable any Nvidia profile AA otherwise GTR2HQ would not start.

There is an AA setting in the dxvk.conf to enable AA.

Seems to look more vivid and modern with both CC and dxvk installed.

I love the FFB of the HQ patch also.

Last edited:
My fault,i went through the HQ cmd settings dialogue making sure Steam exe was used and enabled all Crew Chief dialogues.

I made a few adjustments in the CC ini also located in the GTR2 root plugins folder.

Working lovely with my two installs of GTR2HQ and PnG3.2 HQ patch enabled.

Also have dxvk working for both installs.

I made sure to disable any Nvidia profile AA otherwise GTR2HQ would not start.

There is an AA setting in the dxvk.conf to enable AA.

Seems to look more vivid and modern with both CC and dxvk installed.

I love the FFB of the HQ patch also.
Congrats, you're advanced CC plugin user now :)
If you didn't already, make sure to enable DXVK analog of "SGSSAA" (see manual on how to do that), it's a great image quality boost. Older gMotor games love SGSSAA.

Also, don't miss out on stationary friction FFB that plugin adds. Standing cars in vanilla GTR2 feel like they are on a rack in garage, and that feature fixes that annoyance.

Last edited:
I still think AA is broken when using the overide function in the Nvidia Profiler or DXVK.

Does not change much at all when going from regular d3d9 to DXVK.

It seems to have a slightly more vivid presentation but the jaggies remain,looks more like FXAA than the normal AA.

Jaggies are the same for both.

I make sure to use the GTR 2 graphics config twice after every change.

I could not get the stationary FFB to work either but I have an old G27 wheel.

I have it set to 240 rotation.

P.S. I got AA working again by using this guide.

I turned DXVK off and used the GTR 2 graphic config but set at Level 1 AA.

Then set AA compatibility to Diablo 3 in Nvidia Proflie Inspector but set AA settings to Enhanced not Override.

I have my AA setting in the Nvidia Profiler set to 8xS [Combined: 1x2 SS + 4x MS]

Looks great!

I know the guide was made for GTL but working great for GTR 2!

I tried enabling DXVK with these settings but that of course bypasses them and then the jaggies are back again even with AA enabled in the DXVK conf.

As i said before,DXVK has an FXAA type AA going on,not the full monty.

I guess it is really designed for VR headsets not single Monitors.

Last edited:
I still think AA is broken when using the overide function in the Nvidia Profiler or DXVK.

Does not change much at all when going from regular d3d9 to DXVK.

It seems to have a slightly more vivid presentation but the jaggies remain,looks more like FXAA than the normal AA.

Jaggies are the same for both.

I make sure to use the GTR2 graphics config twice after every change.

I could not get the stationary FFB to work either but I have an old G27 wheel.

I have it set to 240 rotation.
DXVK is a bit tricky because currently it requires registry editing after the very first time you run it (I'll fix this one day, I just don't understand why this happens yet). If I was in your shoes, I woud enable hud=Full in dxvk.conf, to verify DXVK is working - if you see DXVK stats HUD it does work (framerate, memory etc). Also, make sure you can change to Windowed, if it is stuck in fullscreen it is not working properly.

I do not use Nvidia CP settings so can't comment on that. All I can say that on my Nvidia card DXVK AA looks better than DX9 SGSSAA. But, YMMV.

I know it is not much help, but my friend tested stationary friction on G29 it worked. Make sure you have Damper Effect enabled in Logitech CP if it has such setting. Also, did you follow this:

; Requires the folowing .plr settings:
; "FFB Effects Level" 2 or higher.
; "FFB steer friction coefficient" and "FFB steer friction saturation" should not be at 0.0.

Good luck and have fun!

Last edited:
DXVK is a bit tricky because currently it requires registry editing after the very first time you run it (I'll fix this one day, I just don't understand why this happens yet). If I was in your shoes, I woud enable hud=Full in dxvk.conf, to verify DXVK is working - if you see DXVK stats HUD it does work (framerate, memory etc). Also, make sure you can change to Windowed, if it is stuck in fullscreen it is not working properly.

I do not use Nvidia CP settings so can't comment on that. All I can say that on my Nvidia card DXVK AA looks better than DX9 SGSSAA. But, YMMV.

I know it is not much help, but my friend tested stationary friction on G29 it worked. Make sure you have Damper Effect enabled in Logitech CP if it has such setting. Also, did you follow this:

; Requires the folowing .plr settings:
; "FFB Effects Level" 2 or higher.
; "FFB steer friction coefficient" and "FFB steer friction saturation" should not be at 0.0.

Good luck and have fun!
Aha,I will use the damping setting!

Yes I checked that,mine is set to FFB effects level 4.

I added some more info to my post above.

Cheers.

Last edited:
I seem to have double entries in my DXVK.conf

# Sets enabled HUD elements
#
# Behaves like the DXVK_HUD environment variable if the
# environment variable is not set, otherwise it will be
# ignored. The syntax is identical.

# dxvk.hud =
# dxvk.hud = full

Is this right?

It happens for a few functions in the conf.

Do I set that first one to True?

I could not see any DXVK hud in game.

I used the GTR 2 graphics config to use Windowed mode.

No DXVK display on screen and jaggies in game,FXAA type AA.

The FFB fx aint working either with damping on.

Seems to be DXVK isn't turning on.

I will leave DXVK OFF for the moment.

I have two installs GTR2HQ and PnGV3 ,both with the same GTR2 exe and config files,could there be a registry clash?

Last edited:
Aha,I will use the damping setting!

Yes I checked that,mine is set to FFB effects level 4.

I added some more info to my post above.

Cheers.
Just my two cents: do not use 4, it adds weird oscillation, but whatever rocks your boat :D

DXVK uses MSAA, not FXAA (I know, because you are using d3d9_dxvk.dll, right? I built this .dll and I changed parts of it so I know what I am talking about). And this:
dxvk.forceSampleRateShading = True
enables modern Vulkan AA enhancement, which yields better image compared to SGSSAA.

I seem to have double entries in my DXVK.conf

# Sets enabled HUD elements
#
# Behaves like the DXVK_HUD environment variable if the
# environment variable is not set, otherwise it will be
# ignored. The syntax is identical.

# dxvk.hud =
# dxvk.hud = full

Is this right?

It happens for a few functions in the conf.
# is inactive, theyh are marked that way for convenince.

dxvk.hud = full
Means active
# dxvk.hud = full
means use default.

this:
d3d9.forceSwapchainMSAA = 4
enables DXVK MSAA 4x.
add this:

and at least on nVidia card, you should get best possible AA.

Registry clash is not possible, but if you have registry in a bad state, DXVK may not work and manual explains how to fix that.

For DX9 AA, follow Inspector settings as outlined here: https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/retrolux-reshade-gtr2.42342/

Last edited:
# is inactive, theyh are marked that way for convenince.

dxvk.hud = full
Means active
# dxvk.hud = full
means use default.

this:
d3d9.forceSwapchainMSAA = 4
enables DXVK MSAA 4x.
add this:

and at least on nVidia card, you should get best possible AA.

Registry clash is not possible, but if you have registry in a bad state, DXVK may not work and manual explains how to fix that.

For DX9 AA, follow Inspector settings as outlined here: https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/retrolux-reshade-gtr2.42342/
aaah!

I removed the # to activate the hud but now GTR2 CTDS on start up.

Could I please borrow your DXVK conf file?

Last edited:
but I have to tell you honestly, right now you do not miss much by not using DXVK. Yes, it offers slightly better image quality, but its primary benefits right now are in VR (up to 30% perf boost on modern hardware). From my standpoint, however, DXVK is default, I do not even test DX9 anymore, so all future improvements will be only tested with DXVK. But right now you can leave it alone. I also guess on many PCs it may be slower than DX9, your results will depend on your computer.

Last edited:
YES,YES,YES,YES,YES!!!!!!
d3d9.forceSwapchainMSAA = 8

This did the trick!!!

TY for explaining The Iron Wolf how to adjust the conf file otherwise I'd be lost!!!!

GTR2 looks fantastic now!

Last edited:
YES,YES,YES,YES,YES!!!!!!
d3d9.forceSwapchainMSAA = 8

This did the trick!!!

TY for explaining The Iron Wolf how to adjust the conf file otherwise I'd be lost!!!!

GTR2 looks fantastic now!
don't forget to also set
it will be even more fantastic`er (see how grid lines and fences look with this True vs False, day and night difference by me. Although, it makes image a bit of a preference I guess. But I personally can't stand jagged white lines).

If performance drops too much lower MSAA to 4 or 2.

Last edited:
don't forget to also set
it will be even more fantastic`er (see how grid lines and fences look with this True vs False, day and night difference by me. Although, it makes image a bit of a preference I guess. But I personally can't stand jagged white lines).

If performance drops too much lower MSAA to 4 or 2.
Yes,I already had that enabled,GTR 2looks amazing now,TY.

I really like DXVK /Vulcan and have on and off used it the last couple of years.
For me it also works great in VR feels smoother and even somehow nicer colors.

On monitor I have issues with it.
De-banding on sky textures and skid marks are solid looking like an overlay.
Pretty sue I use same settings, but might do something wrong?

Now wonder if other people do not have that issue?

I really like DXVK /Vulcan and have on and off used it the last couple of years.
For me it also works great in VR feels smoother and even somehow nicer colors.

On monitor I have issues with it.
De-banding on sky textures and skid marks are solid looking like an overlay.
Pretty sue I use same settings, but might do something wrong?

Now wonder if other people do not have that issue?
Are you sure it is running correctly? It can get stuck in 16bit (and that's gonna cause banding) if instructions are not followed. See the troubleshooting section for DXVK and make sure registry and squeeze setting is applied as manual suggests. Also, some rendering can get broken if you move front clip plane extremely close, but I am talking about very low settings, below 0.03 for DXVK and below 0.04 for DX9.

Other than that I am not aware of any issues. However, it is quite possible that there's a setting combination that could expose some issues I am not aware of. Indeed, we need to see if more people observe same issues (with high resolution comparison screenshots).

You're aware that DXVK does not work with Reshade, right?

Last edited:
I am happy just to use it in VR.
Upgrading my VR headset so any performance gain is nice.

Was just wondering why I had those de-banding on the monitor.

Not using reshade much anymore and not on those installs anyway.

If anyone else sees the issue and is able to do some registry checks for me, let me know. I have an idea about what might be going on, but before I try a fix I need to be sure that DXVK setup matches the "supported" configuration.

I just updated the manual with instructions for ensuring the correct registry state.

Last edited:
after a computer reboot there isn't any de-banding in the gtr2 install running on monitor.
but had it before so will pay attention when/ if it shows up again.
Fairly new install as boot disc went belly up a couple of weeks ago so not a lot of crap installed.

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • More leagues

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • Prizes

Votes: 5 14.7%
  • Trophies

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 1 2.9%