Please Help...this stuff is overwhelming

Hi, I'm wanting to get into iracing and I'm starting from scratch. I'm overwhelmed when reading about all the different computers, ram, video cards, monitor setups, powersupplies, ect...ect. I don't know anything about this stuff and trying to learn as much as I can to get what I need. The computer I'll be getting is gonna but used primary for iracing. I have 2 laptops I'll use for everyday use. I'm looking at a computer that has a ATI Radeon HD 5670 1GB GDDR5, 6 GB Ram, Intel i5-2300, 475W power supply, you guys think this will be ok for what I'll be using it for. To start with I'll only be using a single monitor 24". But I've seen people with the triple monitor setup and looks awesome. So what else would be needed to have a triple monitor setup?? I try to read up on as much as I can but just lost since I don't know what I'm reading. I don't want something that is an overkill but don't want to be on a fine line of performing either. Thanks for any help!!!!

Shawn

Triple monitor setup can be done two ways;

1. TripleHead2Go (TH2G) - Expensive and quite frankly old fashioned now
2. AMD Gfx card with EyeFinity - Less expensive, but still not cheap. Seems to have taken over from TH2G.

As for you wanting a 475w power supply, i`d suggest something a little higher if your going to run a high spec card with eyefinity and a decent setup all-round.

Most of what you need/want will be affected by your budget, as suggested above. So come on.....how much you got?? lol

Upvote 0
I want to stay under $800 for the cpu itself, I still have to get a wheel too. The triple monitor idea is just that...an idea for maybe in the future. More than likey I'll be sticking with the single monitor.

Upvote 0
If you want to use Eyefinity triple at any decent rez, then you will need a more powerful vid card then a 5670. Min I would rec is a 5850. The more powerful the card(s) the better the eye candy, higher frame rate and rez support. I was using crossfore with two 5870s and now I use Nvidia Surround, SLI'd old GTX295s (prior was old GTX 280s) with my triple 23.6" 1080p monitors. But if you plan on using SoftHt then you might be able to use one lower power card but the main card shld still be a decently powerful card. Advnatge is that you can mix monitor sizes and the cards do not have to be linked nor the same model. With TH2G you will need the expensive Matrox device, it also have limits on what rez of monitors that it can support.

Upvote 0

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 93 18.6%
  • €151-500

Votes: 133 26.6%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 86 17.2%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 44 8.8%
  • €1501-3000

Votes: 50 10.0%