Please help me improve my driving.

Piotr Dul

Sunday Driver
So i practice currently at Imola for GT3 race and my best lap time so far was just a little bit under 1.47 in Nissan GT-R. I don't have much of expierience but I know i'm still making mistakes it's just i'm not sure where to look for those mistakes. Can you guys watch a video provided from my practice which shows my best lap and give me some feedback where I can improve? I'm using Logitech G27 with modded pedals (Nixim spring mod). The steering rotation is set up to 540 deg. both in the profiler and in the game. I'm using just a slightly modified standard setup for GT-R with soft tires.
Any feedback, any tip, any advise counts :)

Are you pedals calibrated properly? Your brake input never seems to go beyond 80 percent or so.

You also seem to suffer to some extent from the same issue I often do, which is turning in too early and getting an early apex, subsequently losing time on the exit.

This demonstration that might help you a bit to figure out to improve your time(default setup with pressure adjusted for the bad driving).:rolleyes:
You don't have to go straight on the throttle after braking & time your accelerator after the apex. If it pass you can carry more speed with your brake, lift off or steer over the limit(whatever deceleration).

Someone doing a sub 1:45 with the same combo :inlove:

Last edited:
So i practice currently at Imola for GT3 race and my best lap time so far was just a little bit under 1.47 in Nissan GT-R. I don't have much of expierience but I know i'm still making mistakes it's just i'm not sure where to look for those mistakes. Can you guys watch a video provided from my practice which shows my best lap and give me some feedback where I can improve? I'm using Logitech G27 with modded pedals (Nixim spring mod). The steering rotation is set up to 540 deg. both in the profiler and in the game. I'm using just a slightly modified standard setup for GT-R with soft tires.
Any feedback, any tip, any advise counts :)

First thing, as @Martin Fiala said, check your brake pedal. Second, in the lap you sent you missed at least 2 apexes. Those 2 apexes are also quite important, so nailing them will make you improve. Consistency is key. This was your best lap yet there were too many mistakes. You'd expect to have your best lap close to a "perfect lap" in terms of hitting apexes.
I'm also against the idea of changing the setup without nailing the default one perfectly. If you could go back to the default one it would be better, just change fuel, compound and pressure.
I'd start with this things. If ANYTHING is not clear, feel free to ask. Once you think you hit your limit, just make another video (just the onboard with the wheel on is fine) and we will analize turn by turn what is wrong.

I'm also against the idea of changing the setup without nailing the default one perfectly. If you could go back to the default one it would be better, just change fuel, compound and pressure.
I'd start with this things. If ANYTHING is not clear, feel free to ask. Once you think you hit your limit, just make another video (just the onboard with the wheel on is fine) and we will analize turn by turn what is wrong.

Yes it's better to start off with default(although with the correct tire pressure, which is not totally default) to understand a bit better the game mechanic as it should do better than 1:47.***. @BhZ you're disagree as I pointed out the general driving tips over the setup.

Following with the limited input the braking point is about right. It's clearly visible if you compare both console run with sub 1'45.

The difference in the reference video which I pointed out in my last post is leaving more time being off throttle to help the car to rotate.

Put priority on the racing line on the second corner of the chicane(nose pointed in the right direction at the apex of the first corner). Don't use RL onboard pole lap. It will screw you up big time & the console gamer is doing it right. If you're too early on the throttle the car understeer from the racing line which watching your replay overhead might help & probably the G meter to deceleration force meeting most apex.

Following with the limited input the braking point is about right. It's clearly visible if you compare both console run with sub 1'45.
1.45 is an average lap. I'd understand if you chose to compare it with a 1.43, but 1.45 means the driver is either doing something wrong or the setup is very wrong.
@BhZ you're disagree as I pointed out the general driving tips over the setup.
I'm not sure if i understand what you mean, but i disagreed because if a guy asks for help on the forum, he is looking more than a general guide. General guides are not detailed enough and it's always better to have a good talk with someone more experienced than with a pdf.
I also don't like your continuos remark about elitism, egotism and whatever you'll come up with next.
although with the correct tire pressure, which is not totally default
Tyre pressure in AC can't be considered "part of the setup" as in AC the only viable pressure is the correct one. You can't control temperatures tweaking the pressure and you lose too much grip if you are not in the ideal pressure. So every time you jump in a car, you change the tyre pressure and don't care about the temperature. The only thing you can do with temperature is to choose a harder compound in case the softer one overheat during the hotlap.

It's better than 1:47, also the best Pro time on RSR is only 0.5 slower, I have no idea if the player have exploited the lower air temp. My guide is more grasping the obvious thing that should be mentioned.

I just hope someone with more experience or anyone random can do something easier to understand so esport can happen in the right way & have more valuable interest worldwide. I enjoy more watching player playing rather than playing myself, but understanding the sport by itself make it more interesting.

Tire pressure is part of the setup as having it incorrect lead to erratic driving & obviously slower lap time.

You should read this blog
https://pretendracecars.net/2017/11/08/an-open-secret-sim-racers-suck-at-racing/

I honestly don't care about this. No one here claims to be a racing driver (unless he actually is) and the differences between real and simulated is not the topic here, nor it matters in terms of performance. Create a different thread to fight your battles.
It's better than 1:47, also the best Pro time on RSR is only 0.5 slower, I have no idea if the player have exploited the lower air temp. My guide is more grasping the obvious thing that should be mentioned.
Pro rating is quite useless as the cars are meant to work with ABS and TC and they work properly when those are active (ABS in particular, TC can be disabled).

I honestly don't care about this. No one here claims to be a racing driver (unless he actually is) and the differences between real and simulated is not the topic here, nor it matters in terms of performance. Create a different thread to fight your battles.
???

I'll make a some highlight about what was written.

"Well first off, it means a Driving School mode is almost mandatory at this point for any future racing game under development. Not YouTube videos, an actual interactive school. More than half of hardcore sim racers are unable to either complete a race, or simply walk away satisfied with their performance in their most recent online session where restarts are not an option. Three out of every four sim racers can’t even make any light progress behind the wheel when compared to the day they first started. We are talking almost an entire community in which every single day behind the plastic steering wheel is no better or worse than the day before it."

It was simply some statistic on iracing registered players, nothing to do with sim or real life. It's simply an overview how bad everyone is at sim racing.

The racing line @Piotr Dul used kind of looked similar to a RL pole lap I've seen on youtube. He use trail brake & all...

???

I'll make a some highlight about what was written.

"Well first off, it means a Driving School mode is almost mandatory at this point for any future racing game under development. Not YouTube videos, an actual interactive school. More than half of hardcore sim racers are unable to either complete a race, or simply walk away satisfied with their performance in their most recent online session where restarts are not an option. Three out of every four sim racers can’t even make any light progress behind the wheel when compared to the day they first started. We are talking almost an entire community in which every single day behind the plastic steering wheel is no better or worse than the day before it."

It was simply some statistic on iracing registered players, nothing to do with sim or real life. It's simply an overview how bad everyone is at sim racing.

The racing line @Piotr Dul used kind of looked similar to a RL pole lap I've seen on youtube. He use trail brake & all...
Not sure what you are trying to say with this either. Piotr wants advices, he doesn't need another guide that says what other 1000 guides say.

I've been thinking... If he had a FIA license.. Claim the person can't take line or drive...

Anyway, it won't be my problem..

@Piotr Dul there's no magic bullet to this. Please follow what @BhZ has outlined and make a subsequent video.
His advice is basically run default, adjust the brake & get good.

I also don't like your continuos remark about elitism, egotism and whatever you'll come up with next.

It describe this type of characteristic to simulate what to expect. It's alright to be a bit offended...
(edit: it's better to get an answer as I've been teach that misunderstanding lead to displeasure)

You used 1.43 as a reference time, but isn't your advice a bit blunt for 5 sec of difference for this combo?

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back