Performance issues on some tracks

Bought the European track pack and while testing SPA I got very worried, as I have very bad FSP on many parts of the track. I initially though it has to do with my hardware and start to tweak my settings, only to realize two hours later the real problem is the SPA track itself.

Besides SPA and the Moscow Raceway, the rest of the tracks has good FSP performance. Its a shame as SPA is probably an all favorite to everyone. Does anyone else has the same situation with these tracks?

Also, is there any config guide for graphic settings around?

Not sure what FSP is... sorry
But reading the title of your post I think I had a similar issue this morning.

Trying out the GTR3 Callaway on Zolder and on the straights the AI just blast past me.
I mean, I can block on the apex, and power away only for them to easily catch and pass me on the straights.
I have the AI at 110 but without being able to change the gearing I have no idea how I'm supposed to keep up with them.
As a comparison, I am able to race with and pass DTM 2015 on Brands with a good deal of effort. And on the straights with DRS we're evenly matched, will try the GT3 on Brands too and check if it's track or car series related...

To be honest I have noticed a big drop in frames since the update on my system. Is there a way to go back to 32bit?

edit: I just realised that I can start the 32bit version from steam.

I must admit that I saw the option for 64bit and immediately ramped up all the graphics settings to max and increased the grid to 32...
Gutting when it started to have the odd bit of stutter here and there and massive slowdown at the end of the race when all the cars were heading into the pits... :(
Turned a few things down and it's back to looking smooth again.

Remember that 64bit is mainly about memory management, not outright performance. All it means is that the game has access to more RAM, it isn't going to do much to "enhance" your CPU or graphics card. R3E switching to 64bit doesn't suddenly mean we can all run the game with higher settings, it just means the game can use more RAM and therefore not run out when it tries to load lots of different cars/liveries/other data at the same time.

Remember that 64bit is mainly about memory management, not outright performance. All it means is that the game has access to more RAM, it isn't going to do much to "enhance" your CPU or graphics card. R3E switching to 64bit doesn't suddenly mean we can all run the game with higher settings, it just means the game can use more RAM and therefore not run out when it tries to load lots of different cars/liveries/other data at the same time.
I haven't changed my settings Ross. But much lower FPS since using 64bit version for whatever mysterious and unexplained reason.

I must admit that I saw the option for 64bit and immediately ramped up all the graphics settings to max

No reason to do that, there's no real performance gain as far as graphics is concerned when going to 64bit, as already mentioned. The GPU is still the limiting factor there.

With that being said, I did some back to back tests on the Nordschleife with 99 AI cars, and I did see some performance improvements in 64bit - about 10-20 percent, I'd say.

No reason to do that, there's no real performance gain as far as graphics is concerned when going to 64bit, as already mentioned. The GPU is still the limiting factor there.

With that being said, I did some back to back tests on the Nordschleife with 99 AI cars, and I did see some performance improvements in 64bit - about 10-20 percent, I'd say.

I know. Think it's a blonde moment or delusions of grandeur...
I have been able to increase the grid once I dialled settings back down to what I had before.
Now running 32 AI without a hint of stutter or slowdown.
I did have a moment where my car had no power. Once I got up to speed I came up very quickly on the AI who also appeared to have had a power loss. Strange...

It is a typo error for FPS.

I have same FPS results from using 32 or 64 bits executable.

The graphic setting guide is good, but would liked if it is more detailed, like what are the pros and cons of texture quality on both cars and tracks, and the performance impact of using specific shader quality.
Ah OK. I thought FSP was some new term I wasn't aware of...
Basically with the graphic settings it's all about tweaking it to suit your specific hardware. I'm not so sure textures have such a big impact, but things like Shadows, reflections and AA do have heavy impacts on your GPU.
I'm running a 1070 so I put most settings on Max apart from reflections and shadows and test it with a large field of AI. If it's a slide show I dial back reflections first then shadows. Shadows to me are more important but may not be for someone else.
Example I'm running low reflections in AC but max shadows. In RR I'm running low reflections and medium shadows. For some reason they are the sweet spots on my system in both titles with large AI filled grids.
You could also turn off some of the fancy Post Processing effects and light shafts, bloom or DOF although I'm not sure they eat up too much power. Could be wrong though.

Totally forgot to report back on my test in the early hours of this morning...

So I tried the DTM on Zolder and no issues with them having crazy acceleration on the straights. Was normal racing.
Tried the GTR3 class on Brands and the same, no issues with speed just close hard but fair racing.
Will try it again but it appears to be a strange issue just for this car class on this track. Maybe there are other instances. Gonna take me a while finding out but it will at least be fun!

I'm running a 1070 so I put most settings on Max apart from reflections and shadows and test it with a large field of AI. If it's a slide show I dial back reflections first then shadows. Shadows to me are more important but may not be for someone else.

If you are running a large grid of AI, the limiting factor here will be your cpu, 100% of the time. Even a 3770k is gonna be no match for a huge grid.

The game engine is old, and doesnt really do multi-threaded stuff well, so having the fastest and most powerful cores you can to brute force your performance higher is going to be key. Even if you only have 2-4 cores.

• Deleted member 387850

Bought the European track pack and while testing SPA I got very worried, as I have very bad FSP on many parts of the track. I initially though it has to do with my hardware and start to tweak my settings, only to realize two hours later the real problem is the SPA track itself.

I can’t remember if I read about this in an R3E or AC graphics guide, but I’m sure the same applies to both. I think tracks surrounded by lots of trees, such as Spa, can put quite a dent in your FPS because of the extra processing power required for all the shadows amongst the trees. May have nothing to do with what you’re seeing, but it might be worth dialling down the shadows on densely vegetated tracks and see if that helps!

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.