Paul di Resta

Paul-di-Resta-Force-India_2758946.jpg

Sir Jackie Stewart has urged Ferrari to look at Paul di Resta as a replacement for Felipe Massa as he would be a "very good target."

Di Resta entered Formula One last season with Force India and has made steady progress, culminating in a sixth-place finish last time out in Bahrain, a repeat of his career-best achieved in Singapore last year.
The 26-year-old's solid results, coupled with his long-time DTM relationship with Mercedes, have led to rumours that he could be off to the German manufacturer's F1 team next season.
However, triple World Champion Stewart reckons Ferrari would do well to snap up the Scot, who could learn a great deal from Fernando Alonso.
"Paul di Resta would be a very good target for Ferrari because Alonso probably has the best toolkit of knowledge and physically is one the best drivers in the world," said Stewart.
"Alonso is almost at his peak and to have a young driver such as di Resta be an understudy to Alonso is something I'd consider if I was at Ferrari."

Pressed as to whether di Resta has what it takes to win a Formula One World title, Stewart said: "It's difficult to know.
"He has got an enormous amount of talent. I hope Scotland doesn't ask too much too soon from him.
"You've got to be with a top-class team in order to win, you can't do that with a second-rate team.
"Force India are trying hard to be a first-rate team but they're not there yet.

"Paul has been leading that team to better results. I think he's got every chance.

"We've got a great history of drivers, for a small country we are punching above our weight and Paul di Resta is the present generation of that."
source

noooo, It may be a good move for Paul but I have to instinctively start hating him if he goes to Ferrari.

For the same reasons Perez should stay with Sauber. Who, and I don't know if it was posting yet elsewhere, are about to get an injection of millions from Chelsea FC owner Roman Abramovic. Good times down there it seems.

I hope this happens. Di Resta is an awesome driver, i love his "old soul" he seems to have, always very professional etc.
It´s like he´s been in F1 for years yet it´s his second year only.

3 if you count the testing year doing some free practices.

The fact that he has a contract with Mercedes says nothing really. It can be solved with money or Mercedes simply letting him go to Ferrari.

Funny that Sir Jackie Stewart just said this. I remember saying on the forums way back when (October 1st 2011) on a thread saying Ferrari was considering Perez for 2013 http://www.racedepartment.com/forum/threads/ferrari-considering-perez-for-2013.37428/ :

"Can't believe I went through all the posts and Di Resta's name only come up once?! He's finished 6th, 7th, and 8th in four races picking up 18 points in that time and is showing he can still compete even in a Force India car. I can't find the interview anymore but someone from Toro Rosso said that he was the most promising young driver out there and said he wishes he was on his team. Give him two more years and I wouldn't doubt he'd be a serious consideration for Ferrari or even Mercedes since Shumi will most likely retire at the end of the next season."

After his great result in Bahrain he helps prove my point even more. I think Di Resta is a great driver and I've always wished the best for him. Since my post though I have to admit I think Mercedes is a more likely place to go because of his relationship with them, however he's still got the qualifications to land a spot at Ferrari.

I can't see Di Resta leaving a Mercedes powered car. Also, anyone would be completely stupid to join Ferrari after their early season performance. How long can they hide behind Alonso's talent? Also how many WDC's could Alonso have won at red bull or mclaren over the past few years.

I can't see Di Resta leaving a Mercedes powered car. Also, anyone would be completely stupid to join Ferrari after their early season performance. How long can they hide behind Alonso's talent? Also how many WDC's could Alonso have won at red bull or mclaren over the past few years.
When was the last time Mclaren took home a WCC title? 1998.
They won their last WDC title in 2008. That year Ferrari took the WCC from them.
And Ferrari is just one year behind in terms of WDC´s with Kimi´s 07 title.
So it doesn´t really matter how fast or slow your car is if you can´t win titles with it.

We should also not count out Ferrari just yet, they are just 10 points away from Vettel and they have a raft of upgrades to Barcelona.

Di Resta on Mercedes' radar to replace Schumacher
14707.2.jpg

Mercedes CEO Nick Fry has admitted that Paul di Resta would "undoubtedly" be one of the drivers that the team would consider to replace Michael Schumacher.

Schumacher has had a poor season so far, scoring just two points despite the Mercedes W03 having proven itself to be a race-winning car in the hands of Nico Rosberg. With Schumacher's contract up at the end of this season, Fry admitted that di Resta would be near the top of the list to replace him if the seven-time world champion decided not to sign a new deal.

"Of course Paul's on our radar," Fry confirmed to Sky Sports. "He's done a fantastic job; he's a nice guy, he's a great team player and he'd be one of the drivers undoubtedly that if Michael were to decide he didn't want to continue we would certainly look at. We haven't reached that time yet in our thinking but we all have a lot of admiration for Paul."

With Schumacher only having finished two races this season and yet to cross the line higher than tenth, Fry admitted an upturn in fortunes was likely to be needed in order for him to continue racing.

source

Could be good. Although they can't ask Schumacher to up his game if all bar one of his retirements were caused by Merc, when he was in good positions(3rd and 2nd).

When MSC decides to retire Paul would be a very logical replacement. Has been with Mercedes so long now.

For sure a nice combination: Di Resta & Rosberg

Personally I hope MSC will stay at least another year though.

Paul DiResta and Anthony Hamilton have parted ways.
Very strange as Hamilton was leading the talks with Mercedes about Paul replacing Schumacher.
I wonder if this is an early indication that Paul might be looking outside Mercedes? Ferrari perhaps? As reported earlier in the year.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back