Paddle shifter/button box question (for Bodnar 53)

Hello,

Been lurking here on the forums for sometime while researching my rig. I previously used a G25, which was upgraded with a bunch of Frex parts, then a G27 with some custom mods. I was really into RBR -- huge rally nutter! About 5 years ago I hung up my wheel and needed to focus on family and career...

Fast forward to the present! I am building out my dream rig, most parts are ordered but do have a few questions about wheel rims and paddle shifters. I ordered a Bodnar 53, I will use a 32cm wheel.

I am trying to decide between a button box/paddle combination such as SRC Pro:

or something similar from Ricmotech:

The SRC Pro appears to offer more features for roughly the same price.

Questions:

Both system have "magnetic" paddle shifters. What exactly is a magnetic shifter?

The Ricmotech paddles system looks less refined but quite robust. Any experience with either of the systems in real word use? Does one system offer more positive feel when shifting? Durability and longevity?

Thank you,
DJM

Magnetic shifters use a couple of neodimium magnets to provide force to move the paddle and to make it go back to the original position, so they feel snappy, precise and will work forever as fine as the first day. I cannot recommend the Simracing coach paddle shifters enough. They are just perfect. Now they have improved them with an aluminium body and they feel even better than before when they were made with 3D printing.

Upvote 0
I have 6 wheels and I only started a few months ago. I wanted wireless function as well so I went with the Simucube Ultimate otherwise LB was my other choice.

I would highly recommend Ascher Racing wheels. Other well know builders use his parts including his shifters and his support is amazing.

I have 3 from him. That would be my first choice as best of the best

Upvote 0
Also, if Ascher has a product on the website it means it is ready to ship. Which I love as you dont have any wait. Also they are popular and go out of stock quickly.

Check youtube channel...Sim Racing Garage...for amazingly detailed reviews on all sim gear

Upvote 0
Also, if Ascher has a product on the website it means it is ready to ship. Which I love as you dont have any wait. Also they are popular and go out of stock quickly.

Check youtube channel...Sim Racing Garage...for amazingly detailed reviews on all sim gear

At the moment, all Ascher wheels are out of stock. That is not a huge problem for me, as it will be several weeks for my P1-X chassis to arrive. I will contact them and find out the lead time.

I spend a lot of time on the Sim Racing Garage! The reviews there are what lead me to the P1-X and the Bodnar wheel. Also Paul on RDTV has been a great source of info.

Thanks again for your input -- really appreciated!
DJM

Upvote 0
Yeah Barry does great review. I have a P1X which i further customized and just installed D-Box on it.

I bought an old ascher button plate used and it was sold to me broken without me knowing about and Martin fixed it free of charge.

I broke a usb cable on it another time and sent me those too.

I have q C26M-C , a B16M-SC and. F64USB from him

Plus the amazing adapter plate he makes.

Upvote 0
with fanatec :cautious:

we are taking aboutr complete ascher wheels

The issue identified with the play in the paddles is unrelated to what wheel they are mounted on -- it is related to the how the paddles are designed and manufacturing tolerances. They still look like great paddles, the play seen in the video can easily be remedied with thin nylon washers.

DJM

Upvote 0
The issue identified with the play in the paddles is unrelated to what wheel they are mounted on -- it is related to the how the paddles are designed and manufacturing tolerances. They still look like great paddles, the play seen in the video can easily be remedied with thin nylon washers.

DJM

So Martin doesn't use his own shifters on his Own wheels, Interesting.

Upvote 0
DJM, which way did you end up going? If you are still undecided, hope this is of some help...

I have the Ricmotech wheel pro button box that i use on an Accuforce v2.
Have used the system almost daily for the past 5 months.
My point of reference/comparison is with the Accuforce button box.

-Weighs less than the AF.
-Magnetic shifters are great... all solid aluminum, adjustable... better in every way and have been working flawlessly.
-The circular cutouts on the paddles are surprisingly very ergonomic in that they give the fingers a place to rest, increasing the level of grip and feel of being connected to the paddles. Work great with gloves on.
-Buttons are a step up from AF box - solid with great tactile feel... same for encoders and hat switches.
-Build quality is great... feels solid, no flex.

Magnetic shifters & buttons all feel great but the lower weight is the biggest difference maker.
The reduction in rotational mass/dampening with the wheel pro box has greatly increased the ffb detail. This has been a significant difference that has transformed the already great AF2 and made it even better.

Upvote 0
FYI PSE sells a USB wireless system that works with the Leo Bodnar wheel base or any wheel for that matter.

It's only specific proprietary BT for the SC2 compatibility.

Currently only their GT3 is offered as wireless, but more are coming.

Upvote 0
DJM, which way did you end up going? If you are still undecided, hope this is of some help...

I have the Ricmotech wheel pro button box that i use on an Accuforce v2.
Have used the system almost daily for the past 5 months.
My point of reference/comparison is with the Accuforce button box.

-Weighs less than the AF.
-Magnetic shifters are great... all solid aluminum, adjustable... better in every way and have been working flawlessly.
-The circular cutouts on the paddles are surprisingly very ergonomic in that they give the fingers a place to rest, increasing the level of grip and feel of being connected to the paddles. Work great with gloves on.
-Buttons are a step up from AF box - solid with great tactile feel... same for encoders and hat switches.
-Build quality is great... feels solid, no flex.

Magnetic shifters & buttons all feel great but the lower weight is the biggest difference maker.
The reduction in rotational mass/dampening with the wheel pro box has greatly increased the ffb detail. This has been a significant difference that has transformed the already great AF2 and made it even better.

Hi Herbie,

I went with a Bodnar 53, Ascher 16M-USB, and OMP 320S rim. The Ascher button box and paddles are...exquisite. Such absolutely high quality and attention to detail.

Coming from a G27, the difference is night and day, of course. I can not compare to other direct drive systems or other combos of wheel/paddles and the impact on ffb sensitivity.

I would be great if Richmotech listed weights for their light weight parts. The Ascher button plate/paddle shifter is very light, OMP wheel is light, but it is an actual Porsche Cup Car wheel, so not sure how light it is.

Cheers,
DJM

Upvote 0

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play