Packing to Release

I'm looking to release my tracks and skins.

I've built 20 tracks, with majority unique textures, and created two championships ( JCW Mini Cooper S and a Hot Hatch Championship) each has 50 cars with unique skins.

Currently the collection is 2.5GB.

Before I upload, does anyone have any tips on :

I'd like to clear any unused material files from all the map.gtr I can think of a method to do it but it would be pretty time consuming, so if anyone knows of a shortcut to quickly remove excess materials from the map.gtr that would be great.

Also I've been looking for an online or free downloadable software to batch compress dds files. I have software for compressing other image and video files but they don't work for dds. The only online services I've found won't compress dds in batches of more than two or five files.
Given the amount i'd like to compress to get the map.gtr size down, I'm looking for software that can compress 20 or 30 files at a time.

Many thanks.

Hope to release the tracks and skins/championships soon.

So the process I'm using to reduce the map.gtr size is this.

Import track model into 3DsimEd
purge objects
purge materials

Export materials into new folder "Track name EXPORTED MATS"
Compress any dds larger than 500kb

Open map.gtr and delete all but one material.

Import compressed dds from "track name EXPORTED MATS" folder into map.gtr

Open track in game to ensure all required mats are saved into map.gtr

If anyone has a more efficient and less time consuming way, or knows of a bulk DDS compression service/software all advice is appreciated.

Cheers.

• Deleted member 13397

3dsimed3 can process multiple DDS but not sure which compress it uses

maybe blaspheme, but packing into GTR is redudant

• Deleted member 13397

basicly, you dont need to use GTR packs, the advantages using them vanished

but not using them, has several advantages

everytime you change something, you need to repack the GTR
if you use the as simple files, you can swap them easily

with faster harddrives (bigger caches), big files are not much faster to read then small one
not used files, will not loaded into the game any more

using modern filesystems can descrease filesize automaticly
even storing only one copy of a file repeating itself

the only advantage i see in using GTR is, less file count
of course the CAS file needs some adaptation

basicly, you dont need to use GTR packs, the advantages using them vanished

but not using them, has several advantages

everytime you change something, you need to repack the GTR
if you use the as simple files, you can swap them easily

with faster harddrives (bigger caches), big files are not much faster to read then small one
not used files, will not loaded into the game any more

using modern filesystems can descrease filesize automaticly
even storing only one copy of a file repeating itself

the only advantage i see in using GTR is, less file count
of course the CAS file needs some adaptation
Ok. I understand what you mean now.

As i've been tweaking the tracks, changing and updating textures, the map.GTR have about 10 - 15 mb of unsused textures. Although this doesn't impact the actual game play, my reasoning for removing all the obsolete texture files was basically to keep the file size down for packing to upload onto here.

An average of 12mb per track over 20 tracks is about 240mb.
If I can compress about 20 or 30 texture files in each map.gtr I can save a further 50-90mb per track. which over 20 tracks could be a lot of MB saved.

I was hoping I could get the 'mod' with all tracks, skins, and files down to 2 GB if I can. Purely to make it easier to pack and upload to share.

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 13397

maybe make a shared folder (GTR), where you place textures using in several tracks ?

Last edited by a moderator:
maybe make a shared folder (GTR), where you place textures using in several tracks ?
That's actually something I've wondered about if it's possible. But haven't seen any info on doing it.

I only have about 5mb of shared texture files in each track map.gtr though. The usual things, light glow, crowds, trees, tyre walls, paddock trucks, but a lot of my textures have been altered, even if slightly, for each track.

Track surfaces, grasses, curbing, billboards, a lot of them have been altered and are unique to each track. That's where the file size has crept up. I'm slowly compressing each DDS i can on photopea, trying to get them all below 600kb if possible, and getting map.gtr down from 80mb to 35mb or so.

It's a labour but it would save a lot of space.

• Deleted member 13397

just my 2cents,
but why, what you save on storage space, every time somebody starts a race at this track will need to unpack in the game

you need more storage space, use mediafire or sharemods

instead of loosing time here, work on the next track

ignore this comment if you feel insulted, over and out

just my 2cents,
but why, what you save on storage space, every time somebody starts a race at this track will need to unpack in the game

you need more storage space, use mediafire or sharemods

instead of loosing time here, work on the next track

ignore this comment if you feel insulted, over and out
I don't get easily offended or insulted, so no need to worry. Sharing of info is all good.

We may be talking cross purposes. But the process i'm currently going through by removing unused textures I'm getting my Map.gtr files down by an average of 20mb. If i were to compress the larger size DDS (ranging 1mb to 5mb) and replace/add them into the map.gtr i could in theory get the map.gtr file size down a further 30 mb or more.

Over 20 tracks that's a considerable saving, especially as i have all the track textures backed up in one of my track building asset folders, and all my tracks duplicated in a back up folder. Once everything is complete and uploaded on here to share, i can delete the duplicates from my working folders and just keep the back ups on an external hard drive.

SO it's really just a 'clean up' about a space saving, and getting each of the size of each track folder down.

I'm looking forward to trying out a bunch of new tracks - what have you created?
They're all fictional tracks.

13 were inspired by tracks I raced on in the 1980s. I took the original layouts, using artistic license added in gradient, undulation, and altered corner shape or straight length. The end result is a collection of really good fictional tracks 'inspired' by real tracks.

I then created 2 fictional street circuits. One based on public roads near where i live, the other 100% imagined set in a downtown location.

Next I created a circuit using the 'Best' corners from F1 tracks. Again, once the initial layout was created i then tweaked sections to make it 'flow' and have a good gradient. It took quite a bit of work to get the sections to all come together. but in the end it works brilliantly.

I then did the same for UK tracks. Using corners from 7 UK circuits.

Next I created a fictional track based on a possible layout of Millbrook Proving Ground. Using Satellite mapping, waypoints taken from Google Earth and loaded into TCX Converter to use them and create a fictional race circuit.

Last of all, I took three of my fictional tracks and made 'variations' of them.

Some sneak peek teasers for you.

Attachments

• Woodwell Sreens 24.jpg
    Woodwell Sreens 24.jpg
    300.9 KB · Views: 51
  • Woodwell Sreens 29.jpg
    Woodwell Sreens 29.jpg
    344.5 KB · Views: 47
  • Woodwell Sreens 30.jpg
    Woodwell Sreens 30.jpg
    268.4 KB · Views: 51
  • Whitehaven Sreens 11.jpg
    Whitehaven Sreens 11.jpg
    277.2 KB · Views: 45
  • Whitehaven Sreens 13.jpg
    Whitehaven Sreens 13.jpg
    319 KB · Views: 55
  • Whitehaven Sreens 15.jpg
    Whitehaven Sreens 15.jpg
    267.7 KB · Views: 43
Hi @Caribstu,

May I ask what did you do for JCW Mini Cooper S? I like minis and I am curious. Good luck with your effort.
The championship has 50 cars, and I created all 50 skins. (all my tracks have been built for 50-60 cars)
I created a new Bridgestone tyre, which includes a Qualifying tyre. It's very sticky, worth at least a second a lap, but goes off after about four or five laps. (edited the tyre wall on the car to Bridgestone)

I altered the .eng and .grb very slightly to give them a bit more straight line speed, and as I was using two different Models I was able to remove the disparity between the two models by adjusting the drag ratio slightly on the slower model. They're now equal.

Don't ask me how i ended up using two models, I think it was just by error when i had no idea what I was doing and first started to paint skins.

I replaced some of the engine sounds, to have a bit of a transmission whine, and a slightly throatier engine tone. Plus Made some alterations to the cockpit (A momo steering wheel and team livery Sparco race suit)

(incidentally I'm trying to work out how to change the protective overall of the pitcrew during the refueling animation, and if it's possible to have each team's pitcrew in the correct team suits, if you know that would be useful)

I also created 50 talent files, suits, and helmets for all 50 drivers. Plus all the settings both qualifying and race for the 20 tracks. Ispent a lot of time tweaking the AIW file to get qualifying and racing as close and competitive as possible. If I can get the entire 50 cars can be covered by 2.5 seconds between pole and 50th on the grid then that's ideal.

Everything is in JCW folders so if you were to install the mod it won't affect any Mini cars you already have.

Attachments

• Woodwell Sreens 3.jpg
    Woodwell Sreens 3.jpg
    259.5 KB · Views: 38
  • Woodwell Sreens 9.jpg
    Woodwell Sreens 9.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 44
  • GTR2 25_04_2023 16_31_39.png
    GTR2 25_04_2023 16_31_39.png
    395.4 KB · Views: 46
  • My mini.png
    My mini.png
    190.8 KB · Views: 46
  • Woodwell Sreens 13.jpg
    Woodwell Sreens 13.jpg
    282.7 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
I'm just running through a few things to finialize. SunAlps2 was generous enough to create a rainreflection for one track which is a WET version of one of my builds. Sounds odd as all tracks can be wet, and GTR2 has wet race features, but it'll make sense when you get to drive it.

The Hot Hatch skins were done about three years ago, so after I've uploaded and shared the Mini Championship, i'll go back and upgrade all the Hot Hatch skins before i share them, because my 'skin painting' is a lot better now than three years ago.

(incidentally I'm trying to work out how to change the protective overall of the pitcrew during the refueling animation, and if it's possible to have each team's pitcrew in the correct team suits, if you know that would be useful)

The .dds file for a pitcrew must have the same name as the driver's suit, like this:

Teams folder (driver suit):

arms_team_01.dds
body_team_01.dds

Scripts folder (pitcrew suit):

pitcrew_team_01.dds

Works only at the pitbox in the pitlane and not at the garage spot where a default suit is used.

Last edited:
The .dds file for a pitcrew must have the same name as the driver's suit, like this:

Teams folder (driver suit):

arms_team_01.dds
body_team_01.dds

Scripts folder (pitcrew suit):

pitcrew_team_01.dds

Works only at the pitbox in the pitlane and not at the garage spot where a default suit is used.

I had packed an edited pitcrew dds ( PITCREW_ORANGEWHITE) into the crew.gtr but didn't know how to assign it.

I've now changed its name to PITCREW1.dds to replace the black default suit at the pit garage.

At the moment during pitstops ALL pitcrews are in white suits, but If i replace the PITCREW_WHITE.dds (which is the standard for all pitcrew teams) with my Orange and White edited suit, it would animate all pitcrews right down the pitlane with my edited suit.

Is there a way i can alter the animation so my pitcrew is the only one which uses the PITCREW_ORANGEWHITE.dds ? I noticed there are a number of colour variations packed in the CREW.GTR. Do you know how to assign those different colour variations to different pit garages?

Many thanks.

Last edited:
To have unique pitcrew suits for each team, just do what I wrote above by naming the three .dds files for a team to end with for example "team_01". And then name the next team to "team_02" and so on. (I assume you already have working unique driver suits for all teams). My game is based on a P&G install though which might not be using the same file structure as the original GTR2 game. In P&G, pitcrew1.dds is the default pitcrew suit that shows up for all crews that hasn't an assigned suit.

To have unique pitcrew suits for each team, just do what I wrote above by naming the three .dds files for a team to end with for example "team_01". And then name the next team to "team_02" and so on. (I assume you already have working unique driver suits for all teams). My game is based on a P&G install though which might not be using the same file structure as the original GTR2 game. In P&G, pitcrew1.dds is the default pitcrew suit that shows up for all crews that hasn't an assigned suit.
"for example "team_01". And then name the next team to "team_02" and so on"

So TEAM would be the Team name in the CAR file?

For example: AMRACING_01 HENDRIKSMOTORSPORT_02

Yes to unique driver suits, and helmets.

I'm running the original game, pitcrew1.dds is the black suit for the pitcrew chief who signals to leave the garage. I've changed that to team livery already. It's the mechanics and pitboard holder who are in default white suits.

I'll try the changes you've suggested and let you know how it works. Thanks again!

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.