Opinions on my 8020 rig design

Looking to build a hybrid GT1 rig/ P1-X with slight modifications, let me know your opinion:
1589203330503.png

1589203353564.png

1589203365029.png

Length = 1.35m, width of wheel deck = 0.64m and the height is 0.71m. I'm looking for something sturdy with no flex to hold a SC 2 Pro or something along those lines with a dd wheel and I need a rig to last a long time and provide a base for future upgrades. Planning on adding a Sparco R100 for the reclining back. Let me know what advice you have...

Also, people that own a GT1 or P1-X what improvements would you suggest on the overall chassis design, i'm average hegith just about 6ft and weigh 76kg.

IMO if you opt for drilling and screwing the profiles instead of using clamping connection pieces, 40x40 should be plenty enough instead of using so much 80x40 or even wider profiles.. as that is a lot of metal, and a lot of weight (and not cheap either)

Probably even the ones that screw in to the profile - the non drill ones.

I’m surprised nobody has marketed a lightweight one - they weigh so much! And material costs etc

Upvote 0
IMO if you opt for drilling and screwing the profiles instead of using clamping connection pieces, 40x40 should be plenty enough instead of using so much 80x40 or even wider profiles.. as that is a lot of metal, and a lot of weight (and not cheap either)
I'm planning to mount a direct drive wheel though with 25Nm peak output, I just don't know whether that would flex a lot perhaps if you were able to triangulate the design to prevent any of the members from bending this could be achieved

Upvote 0
What would bend?
A DD wheel is simply a motor.
A motor has a shaft that ONLY spins left or right, and that is all the motion it has.
Now ‘load’ can affect this motion, and the only load this motor has to overcome is your hands/arms/grip.
I guarantee your grip/strength will go before aluminium extrusion will bend.

My whole rig is made from 80/40 and even with rigorous movements (Dirt Rally for instance) I have not noticed any flex at all. And this is fighting against the weight of the rig, me and everything else on it.

Upvote 0
I'm planning to mount a direct drive wheel though with 25Nm peak output, I just don't know whether that would flex a lot perhaps if you were able to triangulate the design to prevent any of the members from bending this could be achieved
The main wheel portal has to be strong, I use 80x40 there too (with 4 big bolts in the corners, but for example for the ground base, the force it has to withstand is the braking force of your leg, tensile force. No need to build layers upon layers of 80x40 :D

(at work we use 40x40 for all machine enclosures, hence I knew how strong even those are)

Upvote 0
I'm pretty sure a 40x40 base with 40x80 or 40x120 wheel deck supports, 40x80 or 40x120 wheel deck... and then a 45 degree angle going to the pedal end of the base from the top of the wheel deck supports... would be totally sufficient.

Do not underestimate the weight - having just built my 4080 only rig... it's bloody heavy!

The word here is rigidity... and that's created by structure... not necessarily by using beefier extrusion and making everything heavier.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Something like this - and that bottom wheel deck brace is probably still over the top:

View attachment 372492
exactly, that's pretty much what I have here, simple ladder frame 40x40 base, 80x40 portal beam. Using some intuition/applied mechanics and see where one enters forces into the system, tension, pressure, torsion, and how those loads travel through your system of beams. With a portal you're transforming any torsion from the wheel into pressure on one side and tension on the other, which already makes it 300% better than "wheel on a stick-" wheel stand solutions that look wobbly even powered off :roflmao:
wheel-stand-pro-wheel-stand-pro-fuer-logitech-g29-g920-g27-g25-racing-wheel-deluxe-v2.jpg

Having good solid joints is the most important imo, no matter the strength of all beams if the joints move around or twist or wiggle.

Upvote 0
Unbenannt.png

it sure does, we just point out that what I marked red here is dead weight and not needed.
I guess you want to get the whole thing up to a certain height?

I also marked yellow where I would drill and bolt the joints, ofc better only once you've figured out the perfect setup :)

Upvote 0
@deandsfsdfewsad if budget isn't an issue, go for what you feel is right. I personally think the 40x160 rails are the way to go. It looks the nuts and also give you more room and options for adding small shelves in the future.

You might find yourself wanting to add those for PSUs and/or small amps for tactile transducers etc. I went the 40x80 route and although it's adequate, I'd go the way you are planning to if I could go back and do it all again.

Upvote 0
View attachment 372706
it sure does, we just point out that what I marked red here is dead weight and not needed.
I guess you want to get the whole thing up to a certain height?

I also marked yellow where I would drill and bolt the joints, ofc better only once you've figured out the perfect setup :)
yeah I want to add some extra height so it's a bit easier to get in and out of it plus the added low-end weight what I might do is spec two versions and if the cost-saving is substantial (100GBP+) then I may consider going to a 40*80 section

Upvote 0
yeah I want to add some extra height so it's a bit easier to get in and out of it plus the added low-end weight what I might do is spec two versions and if the cost-saving is substantial (100GBP+) then I may consider going to a 40*80 section

you could always add vertical pieces at the corners for legs. Also practicality wise... much easier to get under it to hoover.

looks like it's coming along good! I see you have a wheel caster there, how many are you fitting?

The plan was just two - So I could lift it up at the back and pull it out to get behind it and to clean etc I am realising now though that it’s pretty damned heavy to do that. Once it’s together I’ll reassess and work out if I need to put more.

Upvote 0
you could always add vertical pieces at the corners for legs. Also practicality wise... much easier to get under it to hoover.

The plan was just two - So I could lift it up at the back and pull it out to get behind it and to clean etc I am realising now though that it’s pretty damned heavy to do that. Once it’s together I’ll reassess and work out if I need to put more.
It does look really good, would love to see a complete picture when finished, where are you buying your supplies from Motedis? If so how is the extrusion cut are there any rough or sharp edges? Also just to make sure, are you using M8*16 bolts? I'm looking to maybe make my purchase on Sunday and the bolts seem cheaper from there but I don't want to order ones too long or short.

Upvote 0

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea