Opinion on the RSS Formula 79?

my opinion is that is a good car but too easy too drive, just like other mentioned, brakes are too strong, Downshifting without heal and toe easy too.
Maybe too much downforce, too low top speed. i think they are working on an update hopefully to fix that. and other stuff,
Overall it's a good mod, problem is, if you plan to race this online, very few oportunities to race it, let alone a league.... wich will probably never happen, leagues barely use mods, let alone if they are payware

my opinion is that is a good car but too easy too drive, just like other mentioned, brakes are too strong, Downshifting without heal and toe easy too.
Maybe too much downforce, too low top speed. i think they are working on an update hopefully to fix that. and other stuff,
Overall it's a good mod, problem is, if you plan to race this online, very few oportunities to race it, let alone a league.... wich will probably never happen, leagues barely use mods, let alone if they are payware
I'm glad to read that an update is being worked on as in its present state, I won't be using it much at all.

I think the main problem is that people expects it to be driven like the Lotus 72D or some car from that era, when the truth is that downforce increased the cornering/braking potential of the cars massively. The first produces about 100kg of downforce at 200kph, the other one over 600kg, so go figure... :)

Another problem is that there is like some myth that suggests that old cars were apparently impossible to drive or something like that, based on... god knows.

Last edited:
no
I think the main problem is that people expects it to be driven like the Lotus 72D or some car from that era, when the truth is that downforce increased the cornering/braking potential of the cars massively. The first produces about 100kg of downforce at 200kph, the other one over 600kg, so go figure... :)

Another problem is that there is like some myth that suggests that old cars were apparently impossible to drive or something like that, based on... god knows.
not at all, we do not expect this to be imposible to drive, downforce from a 77 non GE car from the 78 ground effect lotus 79 was estimated to be 25% more downforce. that's what they say in those races, obviously no data to proof anything on our side or on your side iguess.

Niki Lauda drove the McLaren in 1982 that was full ground effect....
To be honest, there was no such thing as cornering technique in the ground effect era. “Cornering” was a euphemism for rape practised on the driver. . . When you came into a corner you had to hit the accelerator as hard as you possibly could, build up speed as quickly as possible and, when things became unstuck, bite the bullet and give it even more. In a ground effect car, reaching the limit was synonymous with spinning out.

Duncan Dayton owned the Lotus 79 that Mario Andretti drove in 1978...
"I'd met Mario a few times before, but we didn't know each other all that well, so we get to Watkins Glen, put Mario in the car, and I said to him 'this must be fun for you,' and he gave me a deadpan look and said 'this is a job.' It was obvious he wasn't very happy to be there. I'd found out the car's previous owner had asked him to drive the car before and the setup was so bad, he got out after one lap, so there was a bad precedent already for us. "He was a bit grumpy until we showed him the original setup sheet from Watkins in 1978 that we used and then he started to smile."

"We spent some time getting the car dialed in to his liking, and once he was happy with it, he starts winding it up and you can hear how fast he's going," Daytona continued. "The track hadn't been used in months, so it was dusty and dirty, and Mario goes barreling down into Turn 1 with the ground effect tunnels kicking up huge clouds and by that time, one of the track supervisors made a beeline for our pits and told us to shut it down."

"The track guy said 'You're going too fast for a photo shoot. You'd need to have an ambulance here for safety if something happens.' Mario said, 'then go get me an ambulance…'"
Andretti continued lapping once the ambulance arrived and thanked Dayton for the experience afterwards.
"He said, 'Man, this is so fun, it's like dancing with an old date.'"

As Dayton recalls, it wasn't the final dance for Mario Andretti and the Lotus 79 chassis R4.
"Then a few years later at Long Beach, we were doing parade laps with the historic F1 cars," he said. "It was meant to put former F1 drivers in some the cars to do slow laps—really, it was just so they could wave to the fans. I was there with the 79 to drive and then Mario comes up and says 'do you have a helmet I can use?'

"So I give him my helmet and he was fifth in line of all the historic cars ready to go out on these slow demonstration laps. The cars ahead of him pull out of the pits at idle speed waving to the fans, and then it's his turn. Mario lights it up, leaves the pits in a big sideways burnout, and does five laps at full speed. He comes in, tosses me the helmet, and says, 'what are they going to do, throw me out?'"

landscape-1477497763-2016reunion-marshallpruett-19-441a.jpg

The joy of driving the Lotus 79-DFV comes through in the sounds of his performance at Laguna Seca, and Dayton readily admits he's living a dream with every lap.

"We jumped the fence and I was standing on the grid at Watkins Glen in 1978 and was next to Mario's left-front tire as he climbed into this car," he said. "At that time, I thought I'd have a better chance being an astronaut landing on the moon than one day owning that car and driving it, much less getting to know Mario Andretti and calling him a friend."

Nice read, thanks!

I love the 79 so it was a no-brainer for me to buy. Two or three years ago I did a full season in Iracing with this car which was really great.

Brake is normal. The car dont develop strong speeds on straights. This remind me people calling Huayra or La Ferrari and saying these cars dont brake very well. The brake superb, but with great speeds you need to brake early, and on RSS 79 is the contrary. The top speed of the car with full wings is low.

Also, not so easy to drive on the limit. In my opinion, some oversteer on the limit. A option without a front wing could be awesome. Some ground effects on that era run without the front wing.

• Deleted member 197115

Just got this mod and not sure what to think. Granted even in my dream I didn"t drive Lotus 79, but it"s like something defying laws of physics. Grip doesn't seem to be affected by tires temp or speed, cars just stick to the tarmac at high and low speed, I am sure this is not how aero works. Also brakes, even in modern F1 I can lock them quite easily but not in this one.
I am not sure any Kunos car drives like this, vintage or modern.
Again, as far as execution of 3d model, sound, ffb, the mod is exceptional
Just the physics that is questionable, but yeah I do not have any refetence data to prove whether it"s right or completely off. It just based on the feing alone and in refetence to other Kunos cars.

Does it behave the same way in iRacing?

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back