Opel Commodore GS @ Zolder - Tues Oct 5th 2010

Carlos Diaz

Happily driving a "girly" car
291dea2302.jpg

Servername: RD GTL Racing Club
Class: Race1: Commodore 2800 / Race2: Commodore 3000 (Download Here)
Track: Zolder (Default Track)
Practice: 20 min
Start Time: 19:00 GMT
Qualification: 10 min (1 timed lap only)
Race: 2 x 13 laps
Note1: Click here to read the password and golden rules!
Note2: Default skins included with mod only.

Mixed feelings on yesterday's event: nothing wrong with the track but the Commodore takes some time to get acquainted with.

R1: Q as 3rd but I started on the front row next to Carlos after Eck's dissapearing act after he got the pole.
I thought I had a reasonable start but Bob flew by in the first meters (1 lap later as he pitted it was clear he jumped the start) I hit the litter in the first chicane dropping me from p3 to p6, but as Carlos missed the finl chicane and Bob had to pit I regained 4th pos.
Some great and real close racing in the first laps. Stuart & Tom where having serious battles keeping the top 5 together.
A nice synchronous spin from me & Gary (no contact!) made me loose several seconds as I had problems getting back on the grey stuff.
Some lonely but fast laps later I got back to a 6th pos as Philip & Tom both left the tarmac. I got close to Erling in the final lap, but couldn't close in and I didn't want to bin the car in the final lap. I did some pretty fast laps with a 1.50.2 as fastest lap I believe.

R2: What a difference those 200cc can make. I needed to adjust my breaking points but just couldn't find the flow in this car.
After a bunch of spins & slides I wanted to get a pit in lap 8 or 9 but accidentally pressed the esc key... Sorry for the messy driving, I know I was blocking several of you guys out there: sorry

Little thing on race1: link

Gratz Stuart on your double win & thanks Carlos & RD for the event!

Nice slide show Kris :good:

I also saw the Bimmer race at Elkhart Lake, sweet.

I see that some of you don't like this car. Is it the braking? I know that it looses the rear very easily under braking, I made a few adjustments to my setup and got nearly rid of the instability under braking. Other than that I liked the 3000 a lot. I liked it more than the 2800 simply because the engine sounds are much nicer in the 3000, and the extra oomph is welcome too.

I was planning to choose one of these two to pair it up with another car and run 3 more events, but if you guys don't really enjoy this car, I don't want to use it for 3 more events.

Here's what I did to tame the rear under braking:
Brake Pressure: 86%
Bias (F/R): 62.5/37.5
Differential: Power/30 Coast/100

Try this out and see if it's any better.

Race 1) I was gifted pole by Eck who got a disco right after qualifying. As usual, whenever I'm in pole, I get nervous and I screw up. Right before the chicane Bob beat me in a drag race so I let off and give him room so we don't have to squeeze into the chicane at the same time. Then I see Bob go into the pits. Funny thing is I stay looking at his car like a dazed idiot lol, I was like "where is Bo going??!!", not paying attention to where I'm going lol. So I fall back to 5th or 6th, sorry, memory sucks. I eventually pick up some gifted spots when Kris and Lenno go off at the same right hander, I barely missed them. Then I pick up 3rd when Tom goes off. Then Erling and Eck chase me down and pass me, but near the end they both wipe out in T1 and gift 2nd back to me and that's where I finished. Pretty eventful and fun for me.

Race 2) I messed up during Qualy and started 10th. I grab a good launch and fall into 8th right before T1. I'm not exactly following the racing line into T1 and as I near the apex, Stu, who IS following it, starts to close in. I clamp the stoppers to avoid contact. I manage to avoid hitting Stu but an unsuspecting Bo has no where to go and taps me in the rear. Not really his fault, my braking there was rather abrupt and unnatural really. I recover and flash my lights at Bo trying to tell him to floor it. So right now I'm running 11th. Then I'm gifted a couple of places as Claudio and Jack go off. Right before the chicane Hans let me through and now I'm running 8th with Bo right behind me. I come up to Erling which makes a small mistake coming out of the first chicane and gifts me 7th. Then I get by Kris in T3 in what was hopefully seen by Kris as a clean pass (I don't do many of those lol, I usually wait for you to crash). Running 6th now. While I'm hopelessly trying to to close in on Eck, someone quits out and now I'm 5th. A little while later Eck spins out on the right hander right before the second chicane and gifts me 4th. Eck is so damn fast he manages to catch me twice after making small mistakes! He is putting on the pressure nicely as we come across a troubled Tom. Then we both get by Tom in T1 putting us 3rd and 4th. I try my best impersonation of a roadblock and manage to keep Eck behind me, but on the next lap I go a bit hot into T1 and have to clamp the brakes a little more than usual through there and just like Bo, Eck wasn't expecting that and he taps me just enough for him to spin out but nothing happened to my car. Sorry about that Eck, you were surely gonna pass me at some point and I should have just let you through sooner. Last lap was a lonely one as I bring it home in 3rd. Again a very eventful and fun race for me.

Major grats to Thommo for winning both races :good:

Checking the replay of race 1 it looks like I was a bit of a bad boy :frown: shortly after the start giving Eck a little dump in about turn 2 or 3 (Sorry about that Eck. I didn't wait. During the heat of the action I didn't think that I caused the spin but the replay says I did. Hard way to treat a person who helped you with a setup). Confession is good for the soul and to forgive is divine.

lmao, You're more than forgiven Jack...

I hoped I'd been spun, and hadn't just made an ass of myself, after helping with setups... lol.
I span again, not before taking others with me. I hoped, I was assisted then too. I did get going last, n Philip was waiting for me. Though again, I really had no real idea, if it was self inflicted...

I still got, not only, to the front, but to the lead, in that race. With time in hand, I threw it away again. There's absolutely no chance, that anyone was involved then... lol

Racing these Opel's was a mixed bag. I like the look of the car but I never really practised in them & paid the price. I think with some praci I could get to like them. As for the racing, Carlos has already said it all, jump start in race 1 & contact at T1 in race 2. Spent both races making up the gaps I had made for myself. Still had fun although not a great fan of Zolder, well not yet.

Thanks to Carlos, nice car/track combo which proved for some a good mix. Grts to Thommo for both wins, about time you won some. Thanks to all that showed. Also think these would be ok to have a series with, give us time to make up our minds on them for sure.

P.s. Noticed a couple of things with these cars Carlos. In the 2.8 class there's a car #101. It has a folder named streetcar in game & feels & sounds completely different from the other 3 cars. This was the car I was in for most of my practise & also when you asked about the sounds which is why I gave my answer the way I did. When driving one of the other cars, which felt different & sounds great. Also seems to be a tribute car in the 3.0 class, #57 which has 200 more horses.

I think it's only 20 more horses, Bobbo, old boy. 200 would be a hell of a mismatch. :D

Sorry in being so late in replying.

It may not be the biggest shock in the world that I like these cars. :D

However, I promise you that no-one, and I mean no-one, is more surprised than me about the results. I came into race 1 with about 3 or 4 practice laps in total under my belt - and only in the 2800 at that - bang on scheduled qualifying start, got the basics of Eck's setup over TS from Bob (thanks to both of you for that), and off I went.

Did OK, about mid way or so, thanks to some people having their respective mares.

I don't know whether it's just my driving style happens to dovetail nicely with the cars characteristics or what, but the Opels both felt pretty much planted to me, so I just drove it as clean as I could, I don't really like the car to slide about too much.

That seemed to be the most judicious method for me, and the car seemed to accept that pretty well, although I could keep it on the edge of drift under acceleration around T3 pretty much at will, it felt majestic :good:

The race was a bit of a blur, slowly easing through the pack as people made mistakes or making passes where it was safe to do so. Pretty soon I'm chasing down Tom, and slowly closing when he has a bit of a moment coming out of a corner (he mentioned it was cat related, I think - I can sympathise there, my Westie often comes and walks around my feet when I'm driving at the least opportune moments), and so I found myself in 1st.

From the quali time he set before his unfortunate disco, I knew Eck would be buzzing around me in pretty short order, and he soon was. I managed to keep him behind for a lap or two (great fun), but he was way faster than me out of the second, tightest chicane, and got a great run on me down that hill. I tried to brake early and switch back across his tail, but he kept it very neat and tidy and tight to the apex, not allowing me any daylight - great pass mate :good: Unfort, he then went into T1 too hot, and slowly came around, leaving me a fairly relaxed 2 or so laps for the win.

Grats to Bobbo for the maddest, earliest jump start ever as well :good: :D

I'd never ever driven the 3000 until that practice session, so I loaded up the 2800 setup, and it felt great, just as stable as the 2800, albeit a little bit livelier on the throttle. Eck mentioned he upped 5th one click, so I tried that and went a second faster.

Decent if not spectacular quali, but had a rotten start when I floored it and got some copious wheelspin, and so I ended up swamped and down in 7th or so into T1. Was following the lead group of 3 (I want to say Eck, Erling & Tom, but can't recall properly if I'm honest) for a while slowly, slowly catching up, but then they all had a few issues, and again, I kind of found myself in 1st, which was nice, if slightly surprising.

I had a few laps by myself, where my focus was again on being clean and not spinning, until Ralf cruised up behind with about 4 or 5 laps to go. Ralf really put me under pressure, not by throwing his nose up the inside or anything reckless like that, but by always getting things right, so I knew that any mistake I made would let him through. He had a couple of half chances, they weren't particularly clean or clear, and would almost inevitably have ended in contact, and so he kept station until something better presented itself. Luckily, I managed to keep it together to the end, but that was a fantastic few laps there Ralf, thanks.

Thanks to the boys who stuck around for the skin test, I'll put those screen shots up later on :good:

Thanks to Carlos & RD for the event.

I also used the same setup on the 3000 that I used for the 2800.

I really liked these cars too once I got rid of the touchy brakes.

So...Question for you guys...Do I run 3 more events with these cars?

Well, I like the car (obviously :) ), so I'm game.

---However---

My only concern with that is that the League kicks off soon, so where we're going to have lots of 72 class races and (presumably) practice as well, it might be a bit too "samey" to those cars?

Basically, I'm fine either way, however you want to go :good:

P.s. Noticed a couple of things with these cars Carlos. In the 2.8 class there's a car #101. It has a folder named streetcar in game & feels & sounds completely different from the other 3 cars. This was the car I was in for most of my practise & also when you asked about the sounds which is why I gave my answer the way I did. When driving one of the other cars, which felt different & sounds great. Also seems to be a tribute car in the 3.0 class, #57 which has 20 more horses.

Thanks Bo, I'm gonna look into it and see if I can release a patch to make them the same (#101 and #57).

Well, I like the car (obviously :) ), so I'm game.

---However---

My only concern with that is that the League kicks off soon, so where we're going to have lots of 72 class races and (presumably) practice as well, so it might be a bit too "samey" to those cars?

Basically, I'm fine either way, however you want to go :good:

You are right. I forgot about that. I have been wanting to try some small twisty tracks anyway, so I'll be looking into that instead.
Either same car/two tracks or more likely two cars/one track, not sure yet.

get by Kris in T3 in what was hopefully seen by Kris as a clean pass (I don't do many of those lol, I usually wait for you to crash)
You are too kind sir :) I kept as wide as possible in T3 as I didn't have too much confidence, but I was confident that I would have taken us both out at the chicane if I kept defending ;)

My 2 cents: For events during the league I would like to see some (not all) easier & known tracks & cars as there will be little or no time for preparation.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back