1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Like RaceDepartment on Facebook.

One thing I really hope doesnt happen in Evo

Discussion in 'RACE 07 - Official WTCC Game' started by Ross Balfour, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Ross Balfour

Ross Balfour
    #99 | Roaring Pipes Maniacs

As the title says there is one thing that really annoyes me in race07.

I play quite a lot offline (as I am sick and tired of getting wrecked on public!) and ill give an example.

Say in an offline race. Me, an Alfa and a Seat pull away from the pack by like 2 or 3 seconds. Then the next corner the pack close right back in straight away like there has never been a gap. Its even happned when me,and 2 BMW's pulled away from 3 seats and a chevy by 6 seconds and by the end of the lap they were right behind us again. It is really unrealistic and annoyes me because there barely ever a brake away unless there in a crash or spin.

2. James Johnson

James Johnson
    The Weatherman

maybe they wernt pushing hard and when you guys broke they uped the pace :)

3. Ross Balfour

Ross Balfour

Yeah but it happens every race. Its soo irratating and not very realistic.

4. It is indeed, this is called 'catch up'. It's been there in all Simbin titles as far as I know and I don't like it either. I guess it's something in the engine of these games, but there must be a good reason why it's there.

5. Ross Balfour

Ross Balfour

Thanks for that info Sander. Does it happen in every Sim?

6. I don't know exactly, but I know GTR, GTL, GTR2 & Race'06-07 have this. Probably this feature makes sure offline racing don't get boring as the pack stays quite close together. Cars which are let's say 5 seconds back suddenly get a boost to be able to catch up again.

7. Ross Balfour

Ross Balfour

Is there any files you can mess with to stop this?

8. i'd expect this in an arcade racer but i'm quite surprised to see it in a sim...

9. Doesn't happen in Evo, mainly because the computer drives like an 80 yr old granddad with 4 flat tyres...

10. Ross Balfour

Ross Balfour

So the AI suck basically?

11. No, the AI is quite good imo. First lap can be tricky, but after that it's good racing against them. Maybe not perfect but it has improved over gtr2/race07 from what I've seen :)

12. I find they brake constantly when they are anywhere near another car... and with how slow they are on the first lap you can get a massive lead easily anyway.

13. no AI for me

problem for me is, the AI sucks up all my computing power, I have to go against a max of 6-8 opponents, otherwise I have to turn down the graphics settings, which I hate. The upshot is: I basically never play offline other than training in time attack or doing an x-lap testrun before a race with three AI opponents.
    Haven't raced Evo AI yet, so no idea how quick they are.

14. Ross Balfour

Ross Balfour

Sounds good Sander!

James what difficulty do you have your AI at just out of interest :)

Eckhart: Offline is really a lot of fun with a big grid. I recommened a mixed grid with Caterhams, FBMW's and Radicals!

15. Tried it on 100% and they still aren't at all good... all changing the difficulty does is it seems to make them take a few more risks and block a bit more. Still, most of what i am saying is probably because im trying to compare it to racing online which is what im used to. The AI is good fun to race against while you get used to the cars and learn how they react over long stints on tyres, which is what im doing at the moment. Also they are pretty good in the rain which makes some offline races a good laugh with all the GT classes, Production and around Donington National in heavy rain.

16. Ross Balfour

Ross Balfour

Does the AI not go up to 105%?

17. Yes it does, and they are quite fast then :D

18. Ross Balfour

Ross Balfour

I race 105% in Race07. If it is the same then Im fine :)

19. Another annoying habit the AI has is that when you pass a car, it just gives up and becomes a spec in your mirror. They hardly ever fight back.
    And they really do slow down too much cornering in a pack... I try not to pass anyone on lap 1. I treat it as a formation lap, almost - it's just too easy to get past half the field at T1.

20. Same here.

Though this is nothing new, this has been like this in almost every racing sim I played (GrandPrix series, F1Challenge, GTR(2), rFactor, RACE etc.).