Offical Studio 397 Le Mans undriveable! (SOLVED)

Tarmac Terrorist

Paul McCaffrey
So i just bought the Le Mans track, was v much looking forward to this, but its undriveable, do to extremely low FPS and stutters.
Now I know this is a big track to render but even with one car on track and driveable FPS it stutters and hangs every 5 or 10 seconds. If i put 7 AI and me on track the FPS is so low (18 - 35 FPS) its unraceable. Can't even enjoy a lap on my own due to the stutters.
Now, big track yes, so how come the Vitua LM version runs like a dream with 16 cars on track? Lowering track detail doesnt even help much.
Is it just me experiencing this? Can't believe its not been optimized enough to drive even with one car.

Well I run:

GTX 1060 6GB
16GB 2933MHz DDR4 RAM
AMD Ryzen 5 2600
1TB SSHD and 1TB SSD

and I run everything without problems. But I upgraded like in November and before I had these:

GTX 750 2GB
AMD FX-6350
16GB 1866MHz DDR3 RAM
1TB SSHD (the same as above)

and on bit lower details, it was running smoothly with like no stuttering (for example - 1 lag for a 0.5 second in 45 minutes of pure gameplay). So idk where the problem could be. Just wanted to let you know my experience.

On lemans, with 39 ai(40 cars wirh me), track, player and texture at full and opponent on high, 1080p and aa level 3, vram usage is 7300mbs on my vega56, only on start of the race, on the last place with 15 visible ais, my frame drops to low 60s, which is in my freesync range so no problem, and i believe its caused by my cpu/ram combo; i7 3770s ( slower than a regular 3770) and 1600mhz ddr3
Before that i have gtx1060 6gb which does not have enough vram for both lemans and nords, so switch to vega56, and very happy with my choice.

6gb vram is not enough for rfactor2 with that such large grids.
It you had 2080 ti with 6GB VRAM it would still be much faster than on Vega56. The fact that it shows 7300MB usage doesn't mean it really needs that much. Some of it is cashed textures etc.

Holy fricken Hell, WOW! I am no longer stuck with racing only 10 cars at Le Mans at daytimes in dry weather with all graphics settings low, low res and no AA. Now racing 14 cars with several graphics options turn back up 3x AA at night, day, raining or dry!

Have I bought a slightly better graphics card? No, infact ive spent no money at all!

What did I do... Finally did my free upgrade from Win7 to Win10! That’s it! Feck me the performance increase in Rfactor is amazing! Not only that but I tried a silly test and stuck 27 Cars at Le Mans and ok the FPS went down to 11 to 15, but it was consistent NO STUTTERS! Stutters are gone!

Holy muthafudging Hell if you’re reading this, you love RF2 and you’re on Win7 UPGRADE TO WIN 10! It’s still free! I honestly feel like I’ve had a graphics card update!

Hey Martin.
Are there any other must have/must check things we should include in this thread? It's easy to miss things (especially for me). For instance, does he need to check that he's running PCIe 3.0? How do you check this again? Are there any others, or have I got PCIe version mixed up with something else?

Thanks. :)

The whole PCIe thing...I don't know. I know people claimed in the past that rF2 can run a lot better on PCIe 3.0 compared to 2.0, and I've kinda agreed with that for a while based on what I saw (even though I didn't see a dramatic difference in performance, but rF2 certainly seemed to use the PCIe bus a lot more than other titles, so it kinda made sense it might have an effect for some.

But lately, I'm mostly back to being fairly sceptical about the whole thing. I don't even see that high PCIe usage anymore with rF2, and I'm not sure if it's because of some rF2 changes, OS updates, driver updates or what exactly. Possibly it's a combination of things.

The thing with more or less anything in regards to "optimizing performance"and stuff like that is that more often than not, you are just navigating through a minefield of anecdotal evidence, myths, misconceptions and who knows what else, often presented like well researched and proven facts. Add to that the fact that pretty much every system is unique and people often tend to think their system is in much better shape than it actually is, and it's virtually impossible to make any real suggestions apart from "always stay up to date and hope for the best" (and many people will strongly disagree even with that, because many people absolutely hate staying up to date, as demonstrated even in this very thread with people running ancient deprecated OS...).

As for how to know if you're running PCIe 3.0, a solid diagnostic application like say GPU-Z or HWInfo should be able to tell you that. But honestly, I'd be quite surprised if in this day and age someone has PCIe 3.0 capable hardware running at PCIe 2.0 without himself consciously forcing it to run like that.

Imagine that. Things actually work better if you are not using a ten years old system. Who would've thought.

No need to be sarcastic mate, i did'nt upgrade because free upgrades were sposed to have ended and ive got limited funds. Just found out it was still free so i did the upgrade. Just wanted to let folks know in a similar situation to me that they can do this for free, why is your reponse nothing but a negative put down, you got superiority complex or something???

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea