Nvidia Video Cards + Drivers

Have you tried my solution with the 180.42 driver from tweakforce?

ps: i have also encountered few blue screen, but it seem that my CPU was too overclocked. I have reduced a bit the CPU rate and now i never encountered such freeze or anything else!

I think part of this issue lies with Microsoft and its non-descriptive updates ... mine machine worked fine then suddenly I got game freezes, minidumps and driver crashes - only change at that time was the Windows updates

Steam client updates also seemed to affect things, as since the last steam update last week, I seem to have gone all stable again :confused2:

I went 180.43 and all worked well till I messed with my card bios's etc ... couldn't get the clock rates to settle as I wanted them in SLi with Riva Tuner (Sli dual view now works though :woot:).
Ended up rolling back to 178.24 I believe it was so I could safely overclock my card again

Might try rolling forward to the 180.43 again soon - but for now am happy to have seemingly got some stability back :D

Hey guys, this is not an NVidea problem, that's exactly the problem I have with my ATI card as well. Was reading last night through some forums. No solution exists. There is an old MS fix, would need to search for it now, but I was not able to install it on my System, said it does not apply to my environment. But the fix was older than SP1 for Vista. Seems that most people with Vista 64 have it, further on the ATI forum, a common pattern was running dual screen with both screen at different resolutions (I have 1680x1050 and 1280x1024).

Well it came back!!!! screen freeze after screen freeze!!! all of a sudden and out of the blue so I did some digging.

Went back to basics and discovered it is not so much a video problem as a data access problem.

It seems that certain services being active can cause this along with the latest antivirus software. The antivirus is one of the main culprits on my system as it was set to scan all opened files and as a result was scanning the data needed to play as i was playing. A quick change of settings sorted this out and upto now the screen freeze problem.

However, I was still having the occasional jerk in gameplay (i don`t mean crasher lol) which meant something else was causing problems.

So to this end I started to systematically work through any services that were running but were not needed to play the game and have created a batch file that will disable all unneeded services on my configuration, I have also created a reverse batch file to restart them afterwards, or alternativeley a reboot puts things back the way they should be.

Tonight was the first night using this in the GTPro race, in total I was online racing for 4hours 38 mins (an impossible amount pre batch file) without any stutter at all. The game ran smooth and sweet for the first time ever.

I will continue to test this and keep you upto date and if this continues to work as it does now, will happily post the batch files (if allowed) or list the services to be stopped (if not allowed).

Will report each day on the previous nights racing tests.

Post the batch file please Bob ... interested to see which services you are stopping and starting and too lazy (read: too little time) to test and create these maself :wink2:

... and what AntiVirus software you running there out of interest?

I got Kaspersky and it used to give me grief pre: Vista SP1, been better since

Thanks for them Bob, will check em out later (forgot to ask, was assuming these are for Vista or are they XP?)
... was an AVG (free) user in the past, decided to invest in Kaspersky last year though 'cos a few things "snuck under the fence" with AVG, and we use these machines for business so can't risk it :nono:

Matt ... its not a heat issue you have there is it?
Try checking what temps your graphics card is running at ... I generally use Riva Tuner for this, but there's a bunch of stuff that can do that for you (including the Nvidia monitoring tools)

Sorry Lee, XP but may be same processes in vista, didn`t think to mention, where I come from Vista is a naughty word.

As for AVG, I have heard of people having problems with it but this is just a play machine and I re-image it regularly, so it`s not really a big deal.

Where you come from Bob, "glass" is a naughty word :wink2:
... and Wigan pier is a day out at the seaside :p

... know where you are at with XP v Vista, but tbvh, its the future, and no matter how you package and patch it, you are running 8 or 10 year old technology there :wink2:
(I still have several boxes here on XP, but since SP1, have stopped swearing as much and threatening to throw my Vista DVD in the bin :laugh:)

Where you come from Bob, "glass" is a naughty word :wink2:
... and Wigan pier is a day out at the seaside :p

Lol, at least we have the best and most exciting rugby league team in Europe.

Wi**n won`t even type in for me it`s so much worse than a naughty word "much lolling"

Where do you come from Lee? To know about glass and Wi**n Pier it is certainly not Portugal originally.

Oh in all my lolling i nearly forgot to update the main reason for the topic.

Last night:
Online 3hours 36mins
Screen stutters = 0
Screen Freeze = 0
Still running smooth and sweet.

Am a fellow northerner too mate, in fact, originally from a little further up in the wetlands than you ... think of football and Stanley, and you are not far from my home town (and before you start no, I don't like football, but I do like my milk :p)

... good to hear you're seemingly stable, wait for MS to mess it up again soon tho :D

Nvidia Forceware 180.48 WHQL drivers release yesterday

NVIDIA releases a new ForceWare driver yesterday. This is a WHQL-certified driver for GeForce 200-series, 9-series, and 8800-series desktop GPUs.

Exciting New Features:
  • Enables NVIDIA SLI technology on SLI-certified Intel X58-based motherboards with the following GPUs: GeForce GTX 280, GeForce GTX 260, GeForce 9800 GX2, GeForce 9800 GTX+, and GeForce 9800 GTX. Learn more here.
  • Enables NVIDIA SLI Multi-monitor support, giving you the ability to use two monitors with your GeForce graphics cards in SLI mode. Now you can easily switch between multi-monitor desktop mode and full screen 3D gaming mode. Learn more here.
  • Enables NVIDIA PhysX acceleration on a dedicated GeForce graphics card. Use one card for graphics and dedicate a different card for PhysX processing for game-changing physical effects. Learn more here. (Note: GPU PhysX is supported on all GeForce 8-series, 9-series and 200-series GPUs with a minimum of 256MB dedicated graphics memory. This driver package automatically installs PhysX System Software version 8.10.13).
Blazing Fast Performance:
  • Boosts performance in numerous 3D applications. The following are some examples of improvements measured with Release 180 WHQL drivers vs. Release 178 WHQL drivers (results will vary depending on your GPU, system configuration, and game settings):
    • Up to 10% performance increase in 3DMark Vantage (performance preset)
    • Up to 13% performance increase in Assassin's Creed
    • Up to 13% performance increase in BioShock
    • Up to 15% performance increase in Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts
    • Up to 10% performance increase in Crysis Warhead
    • Up to 25% performance increase in Devil May Cry 4
    • Up to 38% performance increase in Far Cry 2
    • Up to 18% performance increase in Race Driver: GRID
    • Up to 80% performance increase in Lost Planet: Colonies
    • Up to 18% performance increase in World of Conflict
And More:
  • Supports single GPU and NVIDIA SLI technology on DirectX 9, DirectX 10, and OpenGL, including 3-way and Quad SLI technology.
  • Supports CUDA.
  • Supports Folding@home distributing computing application. Download the high performance client for NVIDIA GPUs here and join the NVIDIA team: #131015.
  • Supports GPU overclocking and temperature monitoring by installing NVIDIA System Tools software.
  • Includes numerous 3D application compatibility fixes. Please read the release notes for more information on product support, features, driver fixes and known compatibility issues.
  • Users without US English operating systems can select their language and download the International driver here.

Go get em at Nvidia official downloads page boys :laugh2:

Latest News

What would be the ideal raceday for you to join our Club Races?

• Monday

Votes: 50 12.3%
  • Tuesday

Votes: 42 10.3%
  • Wednesday

Votes: 48 11.8%
  • Thursday

Votes: 46 11.3%
  • Friday

Votes: 141 34.6%
  • Saturday

Votes: 240 59.0%