not specificly hardware question.....

Keith Gregg

CAUTION - SLOW VEHICLE
...please guys...reccomendations on best screen capture...preferably software...for PC 1920x1080 recordings...but I would also like to be able to capture my 3 screen in some format (5920x1080 I think)
Regards

PS
Led Zeppelin III is the best album ever made

I'm no expert by any means, but just last weekend i asked myself the same question (not the 3 screen thing though) and tried out a few; Fraps, Bandicam, Dxtory and MSI Afterburner. For now i've settled for MSI Afterburner cause it gave me the smallest filesize with a decent quality in comparison. I guess filesize and quality has a lot to do with the codec however. I used the Nvidia H264 codec (can't remember what it's called right now) that probably comes with the Nvidia cards driver/software. I'd like to try Nvidia's Shadowplay, but apparently it's not working atm. Read somewhere that it's broken in the latest version of Geforce Experience.

I'm sure experienced guys with a lot more knowledge will chime in so i'll be following your thread with great interest :)

Upvote 0
I used to use Fraps but its file size are ridiculously big :confused:
Shadowplay is good & free, it does work in the new version of Geforce Experience, its just called "Share" now.
Can record 2160p 4k, 1440p , 1080p @ 60fps :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
Hardware encoding is the way to go. This means using AMD's Crimson ReLive or Nvdia's Share (Shadowplay)

But better yet is using their Encoders on alternative software, OBS (Open Broadcasting Software) is great for this. It has a whole heap of adjustments, overlays etc. You can use it to livestream but it also records locally.

The important part here is that you want to use hardware encoding like ReLive or Shadowplay since it gives you virtually no performance loss. Where CPU encoding on traditional software like Fraps and Dxtory will hurt performance a lot more and will give you massive files (if it's lossless) that really have no benefit for something as gameplay videos.

Upvote 0
Even more confused now as it suddenly works. 3.2.2.49 actually just downloaded and installed itsef while i was writing the previous message, so that might have fixed something at my end. Anyway, this is good news and will test it as soon as i get a chance.

EDIT: Can confirm that shadowplay/share works here in version 3.2.2.49 However i ran into a small problem and here's what fixed it for me:

During recording (in DIRT Rally and AC) everything seemed to work great at first, but watching the clips they had very noticeable black flickering. Tried different ingame resolutions, disabling the overlay and even disabling SLI completely. In the end the workaround was to disconnect all but my main display from the gfx card(s). I don't have a triple display setup as such - the two extra displays are just for other stuff - so i don't really mind disconnecting them when recording.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back