noob question tyres & qualifying

I could have sworn this year that a driver made q3 but chose not to leave the pit in which case he could start on fresh tires. am i delusional? i can't find info on this anywhere. i was assuming this to be true in f12013 as a tactic but it seems i may be starting the race on my q2 set.

anyone?

I could have sworn this year that a driver made q3 but chose not to leave the pit in which case he could start on fresh tires. am i delusional? i can't find info on this anywhere. i was assuming this to be true in f12013 as a tactic but it seems i may be starting the race on my q2 set.

anyone?
They were able to choose freely, that's what I remember as well. I remember Button (and Perez?) doing this, I think.

Always keep in mind that the abomination that's labeled as a sim, more commonly referred to as "F1 2013 by Codemasters", isn't taking all rules into account. Hell, it doesn't even have all the sessions that are available in real-life.

In the future questions regarding the game might be better off in the correct subforum, to be found here, tho. :)

Tom

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the feedback but I'm still perplexed. The FIA rules state that drivers making it into q3 were to use the tyres at the start which were used for their qualifying time. In the case they don't drive q3 by choice, their qualifying time is q2 so you would think they use the q2 tyres. In practice though I recall this wasn't the case.

Sorry for being vague, my reference to the game is just my noticing the discrepancy. I don't really care if they got it right or not, my question was to the FIA rules themselves.

Thanks

Tires which were used for their Q time in Q3. If they stopped lapping in Q2, they can choose tires. (I believe so.)
Makes sense, as all the drivers to not make it into Q3 also get to choose on which set of tyres they want to start the race.
So if you do not set a time during Q3 your Q-Laptime will basically the Q2 one thus giving you free decision regarding your tyres.
... I hope this makes sense to anybody but myself. :p

It is somehow "explotable" however. Say you make it to Q3, and if both teammates do it, you can opt for not posting a time and remain 9th and 10th but can choose a fresh pack of tires. Its almost mid grid but hey... you gain a few laps before pitting. :p

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back