Noob question about braking

Hi all, pretty new to the sim and my first one is AC. Recently just start doing some local driving in game when my G27 finally come. Taking the academy class with Bram is so much fun, but I have a question.

We were using the M3 E30 DTM, and for that car we can just floor the brake and it will just decelerate. After having a bit more confidence I start playing through the AC Career mode to get myself to play through the various tracks and cars, and for the first few they are fine. The slower FWD cars are nice and feels like my daily car, and the newer BMWs are quite nice too. However I start driving this KTM car and all of a sudden when I brake I see damages on the front tires. It was puzzling since the tire wear gauge shows 100% but yet the damage is there. I searched a bit and discover that it's something call flatspotting and that I need to learn how to brake at the threshold and not lock up the tires. I also learned that any car with ABS (incl the DTM) won't have this problem.

My questions is as follow. Since I'm using the G27 I feel like I don't have a good sense of when the brake are going to lock up. Is there any trick to this? coz it seems once it start to lock up release the brake won't help much until i release it for quite a lot. I end up braking way too early and way to soft to slow down (what Bram say "This is not racing this is driving to work"). I also tried changing the brake bias but somehow it just mess up the balance or something coz the car will spin quite easily under braking.

Now that I think about it, I think this flatspotting also happens when in the lotus 49 car... although I feel like it can take a lot more beating before the steering become bumpy...

I fear that's what it all boils down to - although "fear" is the worst choice here, as it means that we have so much to learn, so many challenges still awaiting us :)
Good thing is we just need to be afraid about spinning out and looking stupid and not worry about actually injuring ourselves beside our esteem.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back