No news on ai behaviour on wet conditions?

giulio0079

Premium
Ok, first thing first i'm not an rf2 expert , i'm not even a simracing enthusiast probably, even if i find myself spending most free hour i get (very few) lapping on my pc or console since test drive on c64, sega rally with ms sidewinder, gt1 , cmcrae rally, gt3, then rfactor 1 , gt 5 , forza4, race 07 , in the last ten -ish years .Now ac rf2 pc1 and 2 , rre, ecc. Plus i'm almost 40 and i remember the times with my first bungee cord wheel on ps1 (hell even my polistil track with a wheel that it was just a circle controller with an accellerator and a "brake") and all of the driving things after that. That is to say I'm staggered to think about the level of immersion that we can have right now even with a "modest" investment.
Back on topic , right now I think rf2 is the most complete sim we can have , top tier physics and handling , decent graphics , night , weather , .... I just would like to enjoy a race where the AI can figure out what to do in wet to dry races (or viceversa). That seem not the case right now with rf2.

TLDR : any news on AI refinement on wet conditions ? I've search but seems nobody as any news since late 2017. (Ps I love rf2 and with this "fix" I won't need any other sim for a long time :)

Just ran a race at Lime Rock (no chicanes) in rain conditions with a friend using Studio 397's "Endurance" pack and saw no issues with the AI racing in rain conditions and actually they were quite good. I do see some problems with the AI using third party mods in the same rain conditions so perhaps that mod needs upgrading.

Which car mod and track are you referring to so i can confirm your issue?

Thanks for the reply, i tried bathurst (2014 iirc) with gt3 pack, watkin's glen(digga) with norma and oreca and gte , and misano (all mclaren 650s). All of it with changing weather , from dry to wet , it seems to me (i'm still grasping log analyzer) that when it starts raining they change tyres (correct) and then they start to make mistakes and they start to pit often (almost every lap) for new tyres.
In bathurst as soon as it rains , they began to spin out of track every time at the end of the big straight after the "mountain" ( sorry i m not an expert on tracks and corner names )
Edit bathurst with mak corp gt's do the same

Last edited:
In a recent video Marcel Offermans from Studio 397 mentioned they are working on improving the AI and i know they are aware of some issues with the AI in rainy conditions.

In S397's forum i read as a work-around that someone suggested if you want rain conditions to start your session with it raining which helps the AI to select the proper tires. Perhaps this is why i didn't see any AI problems because i also started my session in the rain.

Just a note but don't go expecting perfection from the AI when it comes to choosing slicks or wets during a wet race, they should (imo) have a varying degree of getting it "right or wrong" when a track starts to dry or it starts to rain.

Sure there is room for improvement in some scenarios I'm not denying that, but for the most part the AI work well enough in wet conditions on official tracks with official cars.

FYI real life drivers/teams get it wrong a lot of the time when it starts to rain, case in point being the Qualifying Race 1 at Sandown in the Supercars last weekend....many pitted for wets when it began to rain and even hail, the ones who stayed on slicks ended up the beneficiaries!

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.