1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nigel Mansell

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by Bram, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Bram

Bram
    Roaring Pipes Maniacs | #27 Staff Premium Member

Strangely nobody opened a thread yet to discuss the moustache.

After Tristan's retro write up on Mansell its time to give him a place here as well

2. Andrew Ford

Andrew Ford
    Premium Member

Nigel Mansell was my boyhood hero. He always put in such passion and energy into his racing. Where Prost came across as the calm and cool professor driving within himself and letting the car do the work, Mansell seemed the opposite. He had near misses with the championship which was excrutiating to watch as an Englishman.... I can still hear Murray Walker commentating now as Mansell's tyre burst or his fuel ran out.
    In the end, however, he got his rewards in one f1 season of complete domination and then his Indie car rookie season. Lacking charisma and still a little cocky today, I'm sure few would deny that he was one of the greats and made the sport all the better with Senna, Prost and Schumacher. Part of a golden era, I'm also sure few would begrudge him the f1 title that he finally achieved. Long live the tash. Long live the King. Long live the King of tashes !

• Like Like x 1
  3. Chris Jenkins

Chris Jenkins
    Driving til the wheels fall off

That is all.

Iconic

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Martin Maaskant

Martin Maaskant
    Premium Member

I always enjoyed watching him race. He was in his last F1 years when I started to follow the sport. And as said, he really made a mark in his Indycar debut season. I think they will remember that for a long time in the USA.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Andrew Ford

Andrew Ford
    Premium Member

That made it. The teammates car never looked half as good

6. Red 5 didn't work for Button...

7. Chris Jenkins

Chris Jenkins

Neither did 1, 3, 4, etc lol

• Haha Haha x 2
  8. Andrew Ford

Andrew Ford
    Premium Member

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao: :thumbsup:

9. Andrew Ford

Andrew Ford
    Premium Member

lol Exactly. He's no Nigel Mansel is he?!;)

10. :D

• Like Like x 1
  11. Mansell was good but when i went to Silverstone in 1992 i preferred Senna and young up and coming driver named Michale Schumacher.

12. Thank you so much for your wonderful insight.

13. Dave Stephenson

Dave Stephenson
    Technical Administrator Staff Premium Member

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Ah. The moustachoid :)

I always enjoyed him for his determination and attitude. If you watch interviews of him you can hear he wants to win badly. His charisma was great and he was an all out great driver as well.

I also remember the indy season that really put his name on the boards in the us. Great drive.

Do any of you other old geezers remember the japanese f1 tv spot where they had small animated pictures of the drivers to represent grid positions, and Nigels was just a cap and a stache, no face? :)

I believe it was Fuji TV or something. Got it on DVD somewhere...

15. Bram

Bram
    Roaring Pipes Maniacs | #27 Staff Premium Member

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Chris Jenkins

Chris Jenkins

Is he related to Michael?

17. Yeah, it's his Italian brother.

• Like Like x 2
  18. The gates have opened.