1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie Needs Help with Lidar Data Please!

Discussion in 'Bob's Track Builder' started by mrkavanagh, Oct 29, 2010.

1. I am new to Bobs Track Builder Pro. I am trying out the demo. I have lidar data for the area that I want to create a track for, but I can not find information on how to import it in to the program. What format does the lidar data need to be in and how do you import it and create your terrain?

Currently I have the lidar data in the following formats

AutoCAD DWG <-with contours
    ArcGIS shapefile <-- with contours
    Surface.tin file

Where should I start, so I can get the data into BOB's?
  2. I seem to remember that for laser scanned data, you'd need a special 'laser-support' version of BTB... Not quite sure though.
  3. yep and it's expensive
  4. Kyle Puttifer

Kyle Puttifer
    @ Simberia @Simberia

And if there's no way of contacting Brendon, I doubt you'll be able to get it.
  5. i doubt ull get it even if you do from what ive heard the btb laser version was something like 5k
  6. Mrkavanagh, it looks like there's not much chance of just importing the data in BTB and hop along. Maybe there are alternatives.

Perhaps there's another program out there which is able to turn lidar data into a .3DS Max model - that could be converted into something usable for btb or 3Dsimed. Also, what area do you have lidar data from?
  7. Can you get or convert your lidar data in DEM formats. LAS or .ASC files?

LAS and ASC files is possible to import BTB PRO as object, but not directly as terrain.
  8. LAS file 100 - 400 MB

ASC 50 - 100 mb

100x100 meters BTB object in XPack about 1 MB