New to RF2 what mods and other questions!

Hi all,

New to RF and had a few questions;

1 - DX11 - how do I know I am running DX11 not DX9?

2 - Any graphics tweaks available? Most notably rear view mirror - it always looks pretty pixilated.

3 - I've downloaded a few mods however some of them are pretty poor in regards to looks and physics. Any suggestions?

4 - Relative box (like on iRacing) is there one available?

5 - Any other tips to get the most out of the sim?

6 - I've seen that Rieza are releasing a car pack- what's the relationship between Rieza and RF?

Thanks all!

Last edited:
I'll try to answer some of your questions...

1) The latest build is DX11 so just make sure that on steam you're on the latest version (opt out of betas). DX9 version would have a legend on the game main menu saying you're on DX9.

2) On video settings set PP effects to either Medium or High (depending on what your graphics card allow) and here are some recommended setting by the devs depending on your hardware.
https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/latest-release-1109-rain-effects-and-more.58675/

It's also been confirmed by Marcel that if you don't plan on racing on rain, you should turn rain drops off in order to gain extra fps.

3) I posted this in another thread, will give you an idea of the preferred mods by users. Happy hunting!!
https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/your-10-favorite-tracks-available-on-rf2.60744/

https://forum.studio-397.com/index....rite-car-mods-or-cars-available-on-rf2.60743/

4) I don't play iRacing so have no idea what Relative box is.

5) Visit the official forums, use the search function and be patient. As much as i love rF2, it's the least user friendly sim out there. You'll probably get frustrated a few times while you learn the ropes, but once you're on the track, you'll be rewarded.

6) Dunno exactly what their relationship is. My hunch is that Reiza's next title will use rF2's engine and S397 owns the rights to the engine, so this is likely a proof of concept for Reiza.

1 - Basically at this point, unless you've consciously switched to DX9, you're using DX11. That's been the default for quite some time now. The DX9 build is deprecated and you wouldn't be able to use it online with the majority of servers.

Also, as for setting the postprocessing to Medium or High - be aware that you will see very little difference while in cockpit view compared to Low, but your framerate will likely get quite a hit in external cameras, since Medium and High add effects that mostly relate to external cameras - most visibly a depth of field effect.

4 - There's a kind of relative timing available in the game on one of the MFD's pages (the box in the bottom right). Other than that, your only option is to look at available HUD's that work in DX11 (there's a handful) to see if maybe one of them includes the information you need, or you can use something like SimHub either on external screen or (in case of SimHub) as an overlay, but the latter option needs running the game in windowed or borderless windowed mode, which I wouldn't recommend personally (but YMMV). There used to be plugins pretty much recreating iRacing's relative timing, but plugins that draw on screen don't work in DX11 and there's no way to fix them until S397 finally implement the long promised new plugin framework.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.