• You don't get fast in order to take part in club races, you take part in club races to get fast!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest. Follow RaceDepartment on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Steam and YouTube.

New PC Build - Comments/ Advice Welcome

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Evan Madore, Apr 23, 2011.

1. Evan Madore

Evan Madore

Ratings:
    +1
    Well, it is that time again. I have had my current PC for a little over 3 years now, and I built it from day one to last 3 years. With a failing GPU now, I figure right now is better than ever to build. My current PC specs are:

CPU: Q9550 2.83GHz @ 4.0Ghz
    GPU: HD 4870
    Ram: 2x2 ddr2-1066 4-4-4-12
    HDD's: Too many to list
    Mobo: Asus P45 P5Q Pro
    PSU: 700 Watt Antec

Now, this PC is going to become a server for hosting files and maybe a game server here or there. I have the internet speed for it.

As of this minute, my shopping cart on NewEgg consists of this:

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K

GPU: 2x SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6850 1GB

Ram: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600

HDD's: 2x SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s

SSD: OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD2-2VTXE60G 2.5" 60GB SATA II

Mobo: MSI P67A-G43 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 RX 750W Bronze

Heatsink: XIGMATEK Gaia SD1283 120mm

Case: COOLER MASTER HAF 912

TOTAL: $1286 Shipped

I have done a lot of research, and from what I can tell this is the best way I can spend my money. Granted I could probably find slightly better prices from different websites, but to make my life more organized and simpler, I am sticking with NewEgg. To help keep the comments from going crazy, I feel I should include some info about what I do on the PC to justify this kind of build.

I am not a huge gamer really, but the games I do play are usually pretty beefy. Pretty much the only games I play are racing sims and ARMA II. I do a lot of video encoding, 3d work and photoshop work.

Anyway, let me know your thoughts, or if there is a more price efficient route.

2. Peter

Peter
    who cares Premium

Ratings:
    +666
    I have one tip, don't buy a Vertex2 60gb but take a Vertex3 120 gb. The Vertex3 is mutch faster than a Vertex2.
    I now have a Vertex2 120gb with Win7, Race 07 + All add-ons, F1 2010, Shift2, Grid and GTL and I have 70GB in use.