1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Automobilista owner

Discussion in 'Automobilista' started by Erik Springelkamp, Jun 21, 2016.

1. Erik Springelkamp

Erik Springelkamp
    Premium Member

I bought AMS this weekend in an impuls, after reading much good about it.
    I am relatively new to sim-racing: I have been doing it for about 6 months, in RD with R3E, where I drive around with the slow 25%, and having a lot of fun.

I have noticed that AMS is harder to drive than R3E even when not trying to go to the limit - I have been practising a bit with the formula Vee and there is nothing in R3E that compares to this experience. So I was wondering about racing online with RD in AMS: are those races suitable for a novice driver, or is the whole field very competitive, so I would only be a burden and a danger, with nobody to fight with in the back?

2. Fairbanks_ABGF

Fairbanks_ABGF
    Is that gasoline I smell? Premium Member

Hey man,

I have only raced one event in the Vees so far, but the people who drive them in the scheduled races also race Formula 3, Boxers, etc, so I can safely say that the grid is (on average) comprised of one or two aliens, a couple of close followers, a relatively wide mid-pack and some guys who aren't so quick, and/or spin out a couple of times. No worries, I was also very afraid before my first sign-up for the very same reason, but the regulars in AMS races are all very nice guys. Shenanigans happen, but there's never a really big fuss. I recommend you be no stranger to racing etiquette, aside from that it's all about fun and respect. Good times ;)

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Qazdar Karim

Qazdar Karim
    Premium Member

The Formula Vee is one of the most challenging cars on AMS :D

I suggest you drive the lancer first, it will give you an idea on AMS physics feeling :)

4. Robin

Robin
    Premium Member

Seriously these guys are nice and friendly, sometimes overly chatty even. :)

5. Erik Springelkamp

Erik Springelkamp
    Premium Member

So I also tried the Formula 3 on Velo Citta, and that felt a lot more familiar. I can also spin that car, but not by just backshifting on a straight :). I'll see how it goes tomorrow after a bit more practice and maybe I'll sign up for the race.

6. Shawn Jacobs

Shawn Jacobs
    Premium Member

Lol its funny, I feel quite comfortable in the V's but I'm terrible in the 3s lol

You'll go fine mate, I've raced with you in r3e and you will have no problems in AMS.

If they start hosting mini races again after the league is over I'd highly recommend them as well, probably the most fun I've had in online racing.

The Brazilian stock cars are excellent as well, and very stable to drive (sometimes just need a bit of softening of the rear arb)

So yeah sign up and have fun :)

7. fortyfivekev

fortyfivekev
    Premium Member

I love driving the Vee but they are not one of the easier cars to learn in AMS. If you want to stick with single seaters then personally I think the F3 is easier as you don't have the pendulum weight shifting behind you. Others cars to try are the Opalas
    which are slow and easy to learn, the Brazilian Stock Cars which are stable and catchable and the Marcas if you like FWD.

8. xnorb

xnorb
    Premium Member

If you want to learn something about weight transfer, stick with the Vees :)

To stay in the safezone i suggest the Marcas, Lancers, Minis and StockV8s.
    Once they get released you absolutely have to check out the Copa Monata.
    Powerful trucks that don't try to kill you, so much fun.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  9. tpw

tpw

Yep, the Copa Montanas are bloody fantastic!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. JoelGL

JoelGL
    Premium Member

Only for beta members?

11. Shawn Jacobs

Shawn Jacobs
    Premium Member

Yeah, but it's well worth becoming a beta member, if I read it correctly beta members get the dlc for free, so you're only paying $5 more to become a beta member.

12. Jeremy Talbot

Jeremy Talbot
    Premium Member

Did it take a while for your email to be validated to join their forums? I joined so I could buy a membership at around 11am today and I'm still waiting for email confirmation (midnight now).

13. Shawn Jacobs

Shawn Jacobs
    Premium Member

No pretty much instant from memory, junk mail box perhaps?

God you must be hanging montana Utes are insanely good!!!

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. for the vee its generally better to not go below 3rd gear and shift down form 4th quite late, or the rears will lock up. also be on the power early so to counter the off throttle oversteer

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Jeremy Talbot

Jeremy Talbot
    Premium Member

Finally got it. Had to use my gmail account. For some reason it didn't want to go to my hotmail.

Looking forward to the Copa Montana's!!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Metalogic

Metalogic
    Premium Member

Just bought AMS myself last night, having mainly been playing R3E and a little AC before - am impressed so far, it's a joy to drive the cars and the graphics, which were my main concern before purchase, I've found to be much better than expected, at least for the for the cars, once I made the suitable tweaks. I look forward to spending more time with it and those British tracks on the way I'm quite excited about now.

• Like Like x 4
  17. Alexandre Costa

Alexandre Costa
    Premium Member

Don't forget to download all Patrick's tracks. ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Metalogic

Metalogic
    Premium Member

Do I need some kind of mod manager to use non-official tracks? What about for 3rd party car skins?

19. Erik Springelkamp

Erik Springelkamp
    Premium Member

I installed one 3rd party track (the one for tonight's online RD race) in-between the stock content, but I wonder if I can keep the 3rd party content separated from the rest?

20. Alexandre Costa

Alexandre Costa
    Premium Member

I don't think you are able to keep it separated from the original content.