My SFX100 Ultimate rig

I read about it and in my opinion, they did not!

Shaken Not Stirred

It does go against the ethos of it being shared as a d.i.y project while others wanted to ignore/abuse that request for their own commercial gains.

I felt uncomfortable with it as you had scenarios that paying for a company/person to print 3D parts was okay but you cant buy the whole caboodle as a pre-made kit. So I think they should of worked with the community and agreed on suppliers to make it better and easier for everyone and all parties involved.

On a lighter note, I had a giggle at the Porsche speaker attached for the exhaust

Upvote 0
This topic has been debated to death and I have no interest in taking any side. But I believe it is my choice to buy from one or a couple suppliers who can guarantee when the parts will be shipped to me, rather than paying ten different unknown suppliers then sit for months without knowing when the part will ever arrive!

And where did see you that I paid a company/person to print 3D parts??? These are CNC machined aluminum parts! My first build was 3D printed (by myself!) but I don't like them and they are not durable. So I decided to pay and have them machined in aluminum for the rebuilt. I also like them in anodized color too.

Oh and I did make a "donation", more than the amount I paid for the full SimTools license!

I didn't say you paid for 3D parts, your welcome to show where I did and I highlighted one of the issues was obtaining all the parts was a real pain in the arse and that if they had lined up or agreed with reliable companies for supplies or as a package then that would have made it much easier and more attractive to persue.

Its never good to disrespect the original creator's wishes as in doing that you also disrespect the people in the community that did things in the way requested within the guidelines keeping it fully d.i.y as intended. Not a project that could be copied and make other companies doing it solely for commercial gains a bundle of cash and that all okay because they can ship it out better/faster.

Yet go ahead and flash your new toy in this community and peoples faces, sure what's wrong with that, eh? Oh and then they are the ones with a problem or chip on their shoulder? The SFX100 project became one of the largest most viewed threads on these forums and I wonder how "RaceDepartment" will look at this scenario and approve or disapprove?

Personally I've reported it as I don't think its right but I am within my rights to protest based on moral issues and respect of other community members.

The whole thing has become a moral dilemma and sorry but not everyone will approve whether you like it or not. I guess, some will put their own wants before the respect of others and then are quite proud to show off what they done regardless.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I didn't say you paid for 3D parts, your welcome to show where I did and I highlighted one of the issues was obtaining all the parts was a real pain in the arse and that if they had lined up or agreed with reliable companies for supplies or as a package then that would have made it much easier and more attractive to persue.

Its never good to disrespect the original creator's wishes as in doing that you also disrespect the people in the community that did things in the way requested within the guidelines keeping it fully d.i.y as intended. Not a project that could be copied and make others a bundle of cash and that all okay because they can ship it out better/faster.

Yet go ahead and flash your new toy in their faces, sure whats wrong with that, eh? Oh and then they are the ones with a problem or chip on their shoulder? The SFX100 project became one of the largest most viewed threads on these forums and I wonder how "RaceDepartment" will look at this scenario and approve or disapprove? Personally I've reported it as I don't think its right but I am within my rights to protest based on moral issues and respect.

The whole thing has become a moral dilemma and sorry but not everyone will approve whether you like it or not. I guess, some will put their own wants before the respect of others and then are quite proud to show off what they done regardless.
To me they (and all the suppliers I mentioned on my post) are a very reliable company. I received the package with all the parts needed, in very good quality, and in timely manner.

So now you feel it's a disrespect to the creator and the community by buying parts and services from one single company, huh? So we shouldn't buy from Aliexpress either since it's just a collection of multiple companies and parts?

And so you feel it's morally wrong to "flash" my new toy and genuinely letting people know that there's a solution that's easier, better, and might even be cheaper to DIY?

"largest most viewed threads" - Hah! more than 3/4 of the post are people asking "where can I buy this and that?", "Why is XXX still not shipped yet?" "why no one response to my email?" "My package disappeared!"... etc etc etc. Look at the pain that people have to go thru just to get the parts! Why must people buy from 10 different companies and pay 10 different shipping charges?

I truly believe I paid my respect to the project. I made a reasonable amount "donation" to the project (but only to find out later that the unlock version actually has an EXPIRY date! One year? No issue. Happy to support!).

I'm showing the result, and sharing the solutions that I feel the community can benefit from. That's the spirit of DIY.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yeah see, what's worse is you don't think you've done any wrong and what you're doing is actually good? You are delusional sir by your own tunnel vision.

You don't pay for respect with a purchase and you're aware of the original creator's reaction to all this. You broke the terms of the license in the conditions it was granted and then you support a company that flaunts that for its own commercial gain. Fully knowing this was against the conditions/rules set out. Then you think its great to recommend others do the same.

No its not okay, in fact if RD Forums allow crap like this to happen as being okay and everyone can just piss all over the conditions set within the "community-based project" then I don't think I will be part of the forums much longer.

Thats how strongly I feel about it and proper ethics with respect upheld.
I have nothing more to say on the matter.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My very first reply remains: I read about it and in my opinion, they did not!

That's how strongly I feel about it. And that's more than I ever wanted to comment on your opinion.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The SFX-100 actuator founders do not hold any patent about linear actuators, AASD15A servo motors or it's parameters, Aluminum profile (Kinetic has), ballscrews or Arduino boards. The only parts where they have ownership is about the 3D printed parts and Simfeedback software. In this case, we are talking about 3D printed parts vs CNC Aluminum parts (different specs and material), Different aluminum profile (Chinese one vs Kinetic specs). This is like claiming ownership about the invention of the wheel.

Upvote 0
You broke the terms of the license in the conditions it was granted

I'm genuinely interested. Please show the specific license terms that were violated here?

There's 2 licenses for SFX: the software, and the STL files. Neither of these appears to be at issue with this build. He's using the Thanos controller and Simtools (not Simfeedback) and the company that supplied the "kit" use a different set of CNC parts of their own design. Hence, neither of the SFX licenses is involved.

Am I missing something?

Upvote 0
I'm genuinely interested. Please show the specific license terms that were violated here?

There's 2 licenses for SFX: the software, and the STL files. Neither of these appears to be at issue with this build. He's using the Thanos controller and Simtools (not Simfeedback) and the company that supplied the "kit" use a different set of CNC parts of their own design. Hence, neither of the SFX licenses is involved.

Am I missing something?

Yes I said under the conditions it was granted. Is it not, more a moral issue than like a legal issue. You know fine well that the project was fully intended to be a personal d.i.y and it not turn into a commercial platform for others to copy and profit from. The original software was kinda sidestepped too by other alternatives.

What am I missing?

I just don't like it from the perspective the whole situation is disrespectful to the work and community that helped each other in that thread. Those that went through the hassle and achieved what they did.

Thats how I see it personally. To say oh this is not the same, come on we know where the idea and concept came from the OP still even refers to it as SFX 100 when maybe it's now SFX 150. It was inevitable it would happen at some point.

The bottom line could this likely harm or kill the SFX100 program. The price and quality for whats now easily available with this as I don't doubt it will certainly attract others to buy that instead.

Sorry, the whole thing feels sneaky/dirty and touches a nerve with me.
Chances are this will now be copied and re-copied by other companies all using the Thanos controller board. Maybe that will get copied an all someday for a cheaper alternative.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes