My mod "wishlist" and future projects as a modder from next year on

Hello you all here, my name is Antony and I come from Italy, a pleasure to meet you.

I came here because I honestly would love to talk about all of the mods I badly want to see so much in Assetto Corsa by many modders here until next year, when I will try to become a modder too and create mods by myself with the help of a few modders here hopefully.

1) The first mods I would love to see are all cars featured in the Gran Turismo franchise, especially the obscure (TOM'S Angel T01 for example) and original ones made by Polyphony Digital (the LM, Touring and Gr.4/3/B cars from Sport), because I've always been a huge fan of that franchise since my childhood with GT2 (until I discovered its rival Forza Motorsport and started loving that more instead XD) and I always admired their cars such as the Stagea, Beat, Copen, Alto and many others. I'm currently searching for videos and photos containing detailed shots of all the Gr.4/3/B cars of Sport to research them into detail (and if that article of allowing interior shots in photo mode is true, then I would like seeing some of you take a picture of your Gr.4/3/B cars' interiors in many spots since I'm a very curious person in terms of obscure stuff in general lol), I especially adore the Beetle Gr.3 so much for its styling which almost makes it resemble a Vision GT car to be honest!

2) Speaking of Gran Turismo, I remember the good old RM cars in GT2 where they got inspiration from certain obscure race cars such as the JTCC and Super Taikyu for most of the japanese ones, I absolutely loved the latter ones the moment I saw (few) pictures of them on Google, so I really want to implement all of those japanese race cars in a game like AC so that many people will get to know that extremely obsucre racing series still going even to this day and have a bit of popularity in the same calibre of Super GT/JGTC.

3) I would also like to make my very own renditions of GT4/3, Gr.B and TCR cars from ones that didn't officially got a racing version currently, just like PD and Ubisoft did with GTS and The Crew with all the original touring cars I really like. Imagine for example the MX5 GT4 or the Kia Stinger GT3 for example, that would be awesome to see.

4) Lastly, I would at least like to see some concept and fantasy renditions of F1 cars I found around the internet since I really despise all of the post-2013 ones with their phallic noses and halos I really hate so much honestly (I discussed about this in greater detail with some example images in other sites such as grandprixgames, but only one liked this idea while the rest pretty much hated it with me included instead lol)

Let me know if you like one of these ideas of mine here and perhaps want to give it a shot at it if you're skilled and brave enough until I won't try it out too of course.

P.S. I already know that recreating a car from scratch using reference images can be quite a challenge and could take up hours to even days/months depending on the experience level and car you want to render in 3D, but that's what I want to specialize mostly on as a modder honestly, 'cuz someone said that it could be quite fun once you get the hang of it completely. ^ ^

You could measure it in hours or days or months but regardless at AC quality I don't think anyone does it from scratch under ~200 hours (25 working days, bit over a month) and that's a lower end, most amateur projects are in the thousands probably.

You could measure it in hours or days or months but regardless at AC quality I don't think anyone does it from scratch under ~200 hours (25 working days, bit over a month) and that's a lower end, most amateur projects are in the thousands probably.
Well I read somewhere that AC tends to have a limit of polygons for its engine (I think), so cars should not have very detailed engine for example, but just the interior is enough for it.
I saw a few mods that probably didn't take over a month or even less even honestly.

Well I read somewhere that AC tends to have a limit of polygons for its engine (I think), so cars should not have very detailed engine for example, but just the interior is enough for it.
I saw a few mods that probably didn't take over a month or even less even honestly.
Yes the limit is somewhere around 300k tris. But I don't quite understand, do you already have experience doing model like this? Even for a professional like A3DR a list like the one you posted up there would be really ambitious, but if you actually have no clue about it all yet better focus on a single one first. It took me over a year from basically zero knowledge in polygon "game modelling" (tho I was certified in Catia and Creo at that point) to create a car I dared publish in "beta" stage. And by all means it was made badly at that point.

Go a few subforums in and get familiar with our "Modding Discussion" sub. If you start a project that is the place for it and to get help :)

Yes the limit is somewhere around 300k tris. But I don't quite understand, do you already have experience doing model like this? Even for a professional like A3DR a list like the one you posted up there would be really ambitious, but if you actually have no clue about it all yet better focus on a single one first. It took me over a year from basically zero knowledge in polygon "game modelling" (tho I was certified in Catia and Creo at that point) to create a car I dared publish in "beta" stage. And by all means it was made badly at that point.

Go a few subforums in and get familiar with our "Modding Discussion" sub. If you start a project that is the place for it and to get help :)
I still don't have any experience for that yet, but I will start learning 3D modelling after I'll finish school next year and defenitely work with one car at a time of course.

And you made me have a great idea when you mentioned A3DR: I want to contact him here saying if he likes to make mods of the Gr.4/3/B cars from GT Sport or some other obscure cars from older GT games instead, I really adored his Honda S800 RSC so damn much, it looks like a Premium model to be honest!

Hey there guys, just wanted to say that yesterday night I saw a stream on YouTube of a niche and non-profit racing event in Japan called K4GP which is an endurance race with Kei (660cc) race cars around Fuji Speedway, I already knew of this event many months ago while looking for Super Taikyu and Group A cars on Google Images. There are a few of them which are kit cars and resemble either a modern LMP1/2 car or a classic Le Mans car such as the Ford GT40 for example.

I would really love to bring that fantastic little known japanese event as a mod for Assetto Corsa on my future projects, but I do know that we already have a Kei car mod made by Aoitori which is a Suzuki Alto HA23V from 2002 and he was also working on the Daihatsu Mira (tho I'm not sure if he's still working on it or not...).

If you want to learn 3d modelling start now. Not "after school has finished". You can do as little as 15 minutes of 3d modelling each day and you'll learn lots of useful little bits as you go. Postponing it all to a later day will only make you frustrated because it won't be like you imagined and you are going to struggle in the beginning anyways. Your plans are only going to grow bigger in the meantime and when you have finally planned a full series of cars and tracks and then open blender for the first time and struggle to model a cube you are not going finish anything.

It is much easier to jump into a project you have already started and know what to do compared to situation where you start a new project completely from scratch. Choosing a car or track on its own is not preparation. By doing even just a little every day and every week you'll learn what kind of reference material you need and you learn how to find it and how to make it. By the time you really dig into your project you already have a good solid start and can get to work straight away.

Download and open blender now. Start blender and move your mouse around aimlessly for 15 minutes and then go watch a youtube tutorial. First step achieved. Try to make something in blender. Repeat. Download gimp and learn how dds files work. Make a skin for some existing car. Look at the physics files to see what kind of reference data you need. 15 minutes every day.

If you want to learn 3d modelling start now. Not "after school has finished". You can do as little as 15 minutes of 3d modelling each day and you'll learn lots of useful little bits as you go. Postponing it all to a later day will only make you frustrated because it won't be like you imagined and you are going to struggle in the beginning anyways. Your plans are only going to grow bigger in the meantime and when you have finally planned a full series of cars and tracks and then open blender for the first time and struggle to model a cube you are not going finish anything.

It is much easier to jump into a project you have already started and know what to do compared to situation where you start a new project completely from scratch. Choosing a car or track on its own is not preparation. By doing even just a little every day and every week you'll learn what kind of reference material you need and you learn how to find it and how to make it. By the time you really dig into your project you already have a good solid start and can get to work straight away.

Download and open blender now. Start blender and move your mouse around aimlessly for 15 minutes and then go watch a youtube tutorial. First step achieved. Try to make something in blender. Repeat. Download gimp and learn how dds files work. Make a skin for some existing car. Look at the physics files to see what kind of reference data you need. 15 minutes every day.
Well I honestly don't know, because once school starts, I sadly tend to have very little short span of time between school and after-school which are a few hours basically. But I do also have to agree on it because it's true that sooner or later I will end up with tons of cars (not tracks too tho) on my projects (but I don't think that it will make me frustrated tho given I would have all the free time I want until I find a job that is).

So let's say that I would start modeling right now once I downloaded Blender, is it perhaps ok that I would start learning with photo references using Photomodeler and with a simple car like a japanese Kei for example? And as for skinning, I already know a few things about it but not all of them, since I started skinning two cars when I was little while playing rFactor on my old PC, which were a Skyline and Impreza with anime characters on it making Itashas of them since I really love them so much once I saw them in a japanese website. While for physics, I honestly don't want to make them myself, that would be done by someone else I would find and ask him to do that for me instead honestly.

Just start blender and go through some really basic tutorials. Pick something in youtube that you find interesting and simple. Just for car model making there are probably hundreds of beginner tutorials in youtube. That go through the whole process. You have all the time in the world to plan things by thinking about it but your modelling only improves if you do it.

When I say 15 minutes every day I'm not exaggerating. what is more important than the time per day is that you do it every day. If nothing more then just start blender and open your model and close it.

If you have 5 minutes now then download blender and install it. First step right there. Go do it now and you are already one step closer than you were 5 minutes before.

Just start blender and go through some really basic tutorials. Pick something in youtube that you find interesting and simple. Just for car model making there are probably hundreds of beginner tutorials in youtube. That go through the whole process. You have all the time in the world to plan things by thinking about it but your modelling only improves if you do it.

When I say 15 minutes every day I'm not exaggerating. what is more important than the time per day is that you do it every day. If nothing more then just start blender and open your model and close it.

If you have 5 minutes now then download blender and install it. First step right there. Go do it now and you are already one step closer than you were 5 minutes before.
Honestly, another reason why I cannot really do it right now is because I'm currently prioritized in downloading mods for games such as AC, rFactor1/2, GTR 2 and so on to collect them and try them all, so I tend to focus on something more important for me than other things so I don't really tend to multitask very well sincerely, just like with school when I have to focus on studying for lessions and homeworks so that I won't get expelled hopefully for example since it is my very last and crucial year for me. So I would rather wait a little bit more and finish downloading all mods for those games because I still don't feel quite ready for it completely.

(And I know that it's like you're forcing me to do it but then it's really not at all and it's more like a suggestion you're telling me more than anything, so I do apprecciate it a lot that you told me all of this honestly. I also tend to have a bit of hype and urge to do this inside my head sometimes whenever I think about it, but I thankfully resist this completely and focus on something else easly)

(tho I was certified in Catia and Creo at that point)

I haven't seen Creo at work, but I have seen bits and pieces of Catia while hand-holding engineers through what should be basic tasks (long story); it's a parametric solid modeling program, right? How did you find the shift to polygon modeling?

I've been using Solidworks professionally since ~2004, and teaching myself I picked it up really quickly (seriously; 6 hours from absolutely nothing to be proficient enough to start working on real world projects). By contrast, I tried to teach myself 3DS two years ago and found it borderline baffling tbh. The workflows just didn't really seem to make sense to me. Not sure if that's because of the depth of my experience with Solidworks, or because I have a very technical mind and something a bit more freeform like 3DS just wasn't jiving with that or what, but it just wasn't clicking for me. These couple basic assets for Cities:Skylines were as far as I ever really got. At that point I wound up getting a new job at an engineering firm and all of a sudden I had zero time for self-learning again so I dropped it. Don't remember a thing now, sadly. I really want to get into Blender but I'm mildly concerned the same thing will happen since it's broadly similar in many ways (to a parametric CAD guy like me, anyways; pros will spot the differences in the two from miles away I'm sure).

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.