[MOTO-DIRECT DRIVE] Mock-up in progress for Motorcycle SIM Peripheral

Isaac Chavira

Livery Designer
Hello,

It appears that we bikers get ZERO love. I've been sick and can't do any voice acting. So, I thought I'd do a fantasy mock up of what a desktop Moto-SIM peripheral would be.

Before anyone starts in on me, I realize that you cannot accurately simulate motorcycle movements with just a peripheral and that you would would need a 5-axis motion system to even come close. But lets be real, how many of you want to pay $100K for a SIM rig.

Direct drive peripherals are expensive I know. A gear driven peripheral would be so big and clunky it would be counter productive and not even remotely feel like a bike. Those of us who ride will know what I mean.

But in the words of our brothers in the UK, let's crack on with it.

As you can see I have opted for a slim direct drive motor. In fact I am mocking up a real motor made by GEORGII KOBOLD. My system will be a two-axis peripheral that will simulate the forces you would encounter on the yoke (triple clamps) axis and the longitudinal-axis where the bike meets the road.

I am thinking of putting little thumb paddles for shifters where the grip stops would be on the bike in order to make this a one piece desk top unit. Or I may do this like a SIM pit unit where you have a seat and an actual shifter assembly and rear brake assembly. It would be tubular in design with mounts for the other accessories mentioned and a monitor mount.

Right now I'd like to show you my progress. Keep in mind I do not have a company and that this is only for fun to generate enthusiasm.

PROGRESS 1.JPG
Capture.JPG

As you can see we are far from being done. But this rig will have two small motors that can deliver 5nm - 50nm ea with a 250rpm limit. I will keep you all posted as I advance along with this design.

Software used: Solidworks 2017 x64

Sorry for the lack of update my friends. I went out in the snow a couple days ago to shovel my driveway. That cold dry 13° F air brought all my sickness back. I feel better now however it feels like I was beaten by a bag of hammers.

I found some good references for the yoke and clipon's. I also some for the rearsets (which will be on a different more advanced assy). I may actually just design a quick disconnect adapter so you can use whatever REAL yoke you want.

Upvote 0
Color me interested! My first foray into sim racing was the MotoGP series since a) i ride, and b) love watching motorcycle racing on just about any level. Using a wheel is obviously far from immersive. Using something that replicates handlebars would be cool but now we're talking a whole different rig if you want to make seating position more realistic. Lots of challenges and compromises ahead.

Upvote 0
Not happy with my Yoke design but you can kind of see what I am doing. The fork holes are there to hold two transducers for vibration simulation. You can see where the quick disconnect mount fits into as well.

PROGRESS 3.JPG

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back