Modifying The AIW file to reduce first corner pileups.

First off I just want to point out that I am an idiot, I have very little idea what I am doing.
I post this information In the hopes that anyone interested will speak up and I may learn something in the process.

I do not have the answers to our AI problems in this game, I am merely working on it. And testing different ideas.

For the longest time, It has annoyed me that some tracks that are otherwise really good, will often have some kind of AI pile-up/crash problem. Often in the first corner. This is why we advise new players to allow the qualifying session to complete fully as it will get the AI cars into order from fastest to slowest and greatly reduce the problem.
However, some tracks with a particularly tight first corner will still be problematic.

In this example, I am using Monaco2007 which is very difficult for the AI. If I load up the AIW file into the editor you can see how the corner is laid out.

Origional AIW.png

The corner in question is the right side corner with the spike sticking out. This spike is the runoff area.
The red lines are the track boundary, the AI will not go over these lines. The green line is the AI racing line and the dots are the waypoints. Note the right then left swerve before the corner. This I believe is the track builder's method of slowing the AI down before the difficult turn ahead. Here is a video of the cars taking the corner at the start of the race.

As you can see a pile-up occurs, this is pretty normal on a lot of tracks.
Now here is the modified AIW file I have been working on for a few days.

Modified AIW.png

As you can see I have removed the runoff area. I found that any kinks in the track boundary have a big effect on the AI. They seem to think they can use areas like this to overtake. I also smoothed the track boundary and narrowed the approach. I have tried to make it like a funnel to give the AI a smooth transition into the turn, and greatly reduce their options for overtaking. I also removed the left-right swerve before the corner as it is no longer needed. From my testing, I found that by moving the track boundary in on the exit until it is very close to the racing line the AI will slow down. Basically the fewer options they have the more they will do what I want.

Here is a video of the modified line in action.

I Have of course tried and done a lot of testing with the usual methods of adjusting the AI.
As have a few others on this forum. Adjusting The AIW file I think is just another small thing that may help to create some better Offline racing. As I said I don't think I have all the answers, I just enjoy trying to improve our beloved game.

First off I just want to point out that I am an idiot, I have very little idea what I am doing.
I post this information In the hopes that anyone interested will speak up and I may learn something in the process.

I do not have the answers to our AI problems in this game, I am merely working on it. And testing different ideas.

For the longest time, It has annoyed me that some tracks that are otherwise really good, will often have some kind of AI pile-up/crash problem. Often in the first corner. This is why we advise new players to allow the qualifying session to complete fully as it will get the AI cars into order from fastest to slowest and greatly reduce the problem.
However, some tracks with a particularly tight first corner will still be problematic.

In this example, I am using Monaco2007 which is very difficult for the AI. If I load up the AIW file into the editor you can see how the corner is laid out.

View attachment 531032

The corner in question is the right side corner with the spike sticking out. This spike is the runoff area.
The red lines are the track boundary, the AI will not go over these lines. The green line is the AI racing line and the dots are the waypoints. Note the right then left swerve before the corner. This I believe is the track builder's method of slowing the AI down before the difficult turn ahead. Here is a video of the cars taking the corner at the start of the race.

As you can see a pile-up occurs, this is pretty normal on a lot of tracks.
Now here is the modified AIW file I have been working on for a few days.

View attachment 531034
As you can see I have removed the runoff area. I found that any kinks in the track boundary have a big effect on the AI. They seem to think they can use areas like this to overtake. I also smoothed the track boundary and narrowed the approach. I have tried to make it like a funnel to give the AI a smooth transition into the turn, and greatly reduce their options for overtaking. I also removed the left-right swerve before the corner as it is no longer needed. From my testing, I found that by moving the track boundary in on the exit until it is very close to the racing line the AI will slow down. Basically the fewer options they have the more they will do what I want.

Here is a video of the modified line in action.

I Have of course tried and done a lot of testing with the usual methods of adjusting the AI.
As have a few others on this forum. Adjusting The AIW file I think is just another small thing that may help to create some better Offline racing. As I said I don't think I have all the answers, I just enjoy trying to improve our beloved game.
Speednut357, your work is fantastic. Congratulations !!! For me, this is a transformation in the quality of the game. I converted a track called Alcaniz, from rFactor (I really like this track) and Race 07's AI's do this stacking/agglomeration in the first 90º corner, after the start. Now I can try to fix this. I want to learn how to change the AIW like you do. I ask you for some tips. Thanks in advance.

• Deleted member 13397

very good finding

sometimes i think, the AIW boundaries has been generated by color/terrain name like here in Monza V.Ascari

probably an ALIEN AI can do something with it, but it is just confusing for that one we have

Clipboard01.jpg

Generally the red lines (in aiw editor) should be as smooth as possible as you said, and sometimes it is better to make it narrow on the outside of a corner to prevent overtaking where ai cars can't handle it. (One must remember to increase the green cut detection area to compensate for that).

One other thing that is good to know: if ai cars gets too close to the red border or over it (from fastline being too close or drifting wide in a corner) they panic and slam the throttle, so to avoid this it is sometimes useful to widen the red line a little bit, unless the surface is unsuitable for driving. Or for short: avoid ai cars getting too close to the red line :)

Good work!

Speednut357, your work is fantastic. Congratulations !!! For me, this is a transformation in the quality of the game. I converted a track called Alcaniz, from rFactor (I really like this track) and Race 07's AI's do this stacking/agglomeration in the first 90º corner, after the start. Now I can try to fix this. I want to learn how to change the AIW like you do. I ask you for some tips. Thanks in advance.
Ok Sergio I will attempt to make a lesson in how to adjust the AIW file, Maybe you could teach me how to convert a track?

Generally the red lines (in aiw editor) should be as smooth as possible as you said, and sometimes it is better to make it narrow on the outside of a corner to prevent overtaking where ai cars can't handle it. (One must remember to increase the green cut detection area to compensate for that).

One other thing that is good to know: if ai cars gets too close to the red border or over it (from fastline being too close or drifting wide in a corner) they panic and slam the throttle, so to avoid this it is sometimes useful to widen the red line a little bit, unless the surface is unsuitable for driving. Or for short: avoid ai cars getting too close to the red line :)

Good work!
Yes, I have experienced strange behavior when they cross the track boundary, but adjusting the cut detection area? can that be done with the AIW editor? I still have so much to learn.
I also see in the AIW editor help file that it is possible when editing Rfactor tracks, to overlay an image of the track. Can this be done with the Race 07 file? where do I get the image from?

Ok Sergio I will attempt to make a lesson in how to adjust the AIW file, Maybe you could teach me how to convert a track?
What I know and can give you (but what you can find on the web) are the texts and tips I've been reading, and following as a step-by-step guide (mainly RacerM's). You don't need a lot of "understanding" to convert, you will need a lot of time and patience.

very good finding

sometimes i think, the AIW boundaries has been generated by color/terrain name like here in Monza V.Ascari

probably an ALIEN AI can do something with it, but it is just confusing for that one we have

View attachment 531081
I'm not sure what I'm looking at there, it is a different software to what I am using. There appear's to be 3 racing lines.
I will see if I can find that editor It might have some more options for me to try.

• Deleted member 13397

the editor is on our forum, its a an unfinished AIW editor, good for postprocessing after using the rfactor one
basicly all data in the AIW is shown
should have switched out some of them
Clipboard02.jpg

WP, DRy, WET
and the outbounds

here a view on SKIDSmarks
Clipboard01.jpg

the editor is on our forum, its a an unfinished AIW editor, good for postprocessing after using the rfactor one
This tool looks great. And also I like the UI aethestics. Once the editor is finished, will it be posted and released elsewhere? Be that here on RaceDepartment or somewhere else?

• Deleted member 13397

finished, who knows, the task it was purposed for are already working .
released here on RD, ............... ( <<< title of a James Bond movie)

... reading above ".. it' s on our Forum "
(edit: RD thread found from Mar 1 7 2020, "Aiw cam editor by guitarman 4.05")
(edit 2 :.. No, here you go, link was posted about it

race07.giize.com/BB/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8&sid=2915b6028efd5e344810a06a7074dce6

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 13397

ok, i must admitt, that was hard, as my intentions were not clearand my english more then unperfect
i meant the last Connery one, as a sign for my relation with RD

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back