Mika Hakkinen calls for Maldonado sanctions

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
crash.jpg

McLaren legend and former double World Champion Mika Hakkinen has hit out at the driving standards of controversial Venezuelan Pastor Maldonado.

Famed for his no holds barred approach and sense of fair play, Hakkinen made his mark on the Formula One world back in the late 90's / early 2000's racing against German legend Michael Schumacher's Ferrari team, securing World Championships for McLaren in 1998 and 1999 before his eventual retirement from the sport at the end of the 2001 season.

Speaking about Maldonado's occasionally bizarre on track behaviour and crash prone tendencies, Hakkinen shared his concerns to Finnish newspaper Ilta Sanomat.

"If a driver does not learn from his mistakes, then tougher sanctions should be introduced for him," he said.

"Maldonado does not seem to learn anything from his mistakes," Hakkinen added. "I think when the other drivers race him, they never really know what he's going to do next."

"I could understand if you're racing on the last laps and race victory is at stake
," said Hakkinen "but generally he should be using more common sense, definitely."

Maldonado continues to divide opinion of F1 fans the world over, blindingly fast when the mood takes hold and ridiculous the next moment, Maldonado brings with him plenty of cash and controversy wherever he races. With the on track action in Formula One leaving many fans cold, maybe the Venezuelan's antics are not such a bad thing...

What do you think of Pastor's driving in F1 since his Williams debut? Accident waiting to happen or unpolished diamond? Leave your comments below!

Last edited:
Although we all hate him for being a danger on track, he doesn't fail to bring us a laugh some point during the weekend. He finds places to crash no one else does and fuels great websites like http://hasmaldonadocrashedtoday.com/

Sad as his antics are, he is keeping Lotus/Renault/Enstone alive and he has won a Grand Prix. Still don't really believe that, but he did what all good drivers should be able to do and took his one opportunity to the full. As much as he seems to have passed his sell-by-date like Raikkonen, both drivers are two personalities that do fuel laughs all over the internet still. They will be missed when the do go.

I honestly dont know what the hype is. Speed is nothing without consistency and control, where does this guy show that?

PS. who says money cant buy happiness?

Exactly. Same thing happened with IndyCar years before as Milka Dunno should not have been there (esp. the 500...that's real danger) but for sponsorship in hand.
Maldanado is about as far from Raikkonen as I am from Finland.
It's just going to take one Court case after some young man dies. I'd be a bit nervous too, as the new age requirements show is the case. Unfortunately, many will still slip through unless the money issue is addressed by F1. The FIA needs its own "superlicense" for common sense.

Last edited:
Hakkinen won the Championship in 1998 and 1999! From 2000-2004 Schumacher won the Championship. And yes, Maldonado is a dangerous driver without any Brain.
And that not only for the other Drivers. For the Viewers at the Racetrack too!

Funny to watch and the most entertaining part of F1. Which shows how tragic the 'sport' has become. I feel sorry for the other drivers though - he isn't safe.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back